No announcement yet.

B5 coming to Amazon Prime in June!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOOOOO we should all complain to Amazon to make it look better.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Having said what I said last night I must point out that I have watched several episodes and other than a few moments here and there it has looked fine. I am watching most of the episodes on an older LCD TV, so maybe it just looks a little better on my TV. I wouldn't say it looks great, but most of the time it has seemed about the same as the DVDs if not a little better. One thing I noticed is that the holographic Knight battle scene in Survivors, 1.11, did not looked stretched.

Comment

Yes, I understand there are questions as to what exists. But I see no reason to not ask Prime to investigate:

To retweet: https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...60394799513600
        Last edited by Jan; 06-23-2018, 08:09 PM.
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

I have one slight complaint and this is just me and me only

I own all DVD of the series and movies

for the past year I have been traveling a lot for business and so my DVD are in storage so I have not been able to watch them

I was hoping here in the UK that they would be included with my prime--at least here in the UK you have to buy them--I already own them

problem I have--I can rebuy them--but I have to keep amazon prime for the duration--so I could re buy them but if I cancel amazon prime I lose them as well

Comment

Well, that’s been 6 weeks or so now and the petition is up to sixteen hundred and some change.

https://www.change.org/p/warner-brot...ster-negatives

I remember Jan saying something once about how she was impressed at the passion of Firefly fans and how well they can be mobilised (or something to that effect) and I completely agree with her on that one.

It’s difficult to know exactly what a small response like that is actually telling us. One thing though, With something like the membership size of the Babylon 5 facebook group (at over thirty two thousand) I don’t think it’s as simple as saying there aren’t enough fans out there. We came third in that stupid nerd vote for best sci-fi a couple of weeks back

Maybe, because the show finished it’s run and wasn’t cancelled - and folks are happy with that - there just isn’t the appetite for it to be tinkered with so long after the fact. Maybe the visuals aren’t that big an issue for the majority of existing fans so looking to them to kick up a ruckus is never going to get very far.

Then again, maybe they just don’t believe that no matter what they do it simply isn’t going to happen - so aren’t going to waste their time or get their hopes up just to be dashed. . . . . I mean jms has spent years telling folks Warner will NEVER spend money on it ((and, incidentally, that petitions to studios are a waste of time - remember he basically said that with Sense8 as well). . . . Then again, he also said Warner would never release it either, and a few weeks later it popped up on Prime . . . . and he started telling people a (previously never mentioned before) hi-quality version is sitting in a Warner Vault - so go and storm the virtual walls of Amazon in order to convince them to release it. So maybe fans aren’t buying the idea that it’s as simple as he’s now saying, and that such a thing doesn’t exist. It’s all just a little too convenient . . . . . . For years we’re told Warner will spend no real money on it– now there’s a ((very dubious from a technical standpoint) option that’s popped out of nowhere that will cost no real money . . . . Bugger knows, but I suspect it’s a combination off all that and more.
            Last edited by Triple F; 06-29-2018, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Speaking on the point of fact of what to expect from the fans I'd have to say I don't think there are enough active fans out there to make a difference right now. (I would say people who look for B5 news twice a month are still considered active fans.)

I think one must also take into account that the majority of Babylon 5 fans exist outside the U.S. and they are not getting to see the series through Prime so they likely may not be paying attention to much of this news.

As far as the Facebook groups go you really can't judge. I've joined my share of B5 Facebook groups and other Facebook groups, but I don't really pay attention to them. I come here or B5TV, ISN NEWs, or even Gateworld to learn new things and discuss B5. I can't really make sense of how any discussion of B5 can happen on Facebook. Yeah I know people post stories, opinions, and memes and then people discuss, but there is sooooo much how do you keep track of it all and how do you come back and reference it later? Okay I am on a sidetrack ramble. My point is that I don't think you can count Facebook group numbers as active fans.

I wish we were more organized and motivated, but that is a tall order when you consider how many years it has been. I wish the Official Fan Club had never shutdown so we would at least have an organized point of reference. It would be great if every fan had one place they went for news and discussion so we all knew who we were. Unfortunately that has never been the case and now we are down to a few boards and some Facebook groups.

A quality of Babylon 5 is that it reached such a broad spectrum of fans. Over all of these years we have often tended to rub each other the wrong way on these few remaining boards and Facebook groups. I think the combination of egos, some poorly worded (and possibly poorly envisioned) opinions, some overly tender feelings, and the passage of time have cost these few remaining places active members. People are busy and they need a reason to be motivated in their fandom. To some degree JMS understands this. Yes Firefly fans are motivated, but they had a spark that can continue to motivate them - their show was ended before it really started. Arguably B5 started and ended as planned. If we wanted to be like Firefly fans we should have gotten all of the B5 fans to rally around Crusade and held on to that for all these years. Firefly fans got organized and stayed organized through motivation.

Originally posted by jumptheshark View Post

I was hoping here in the UK that they would be included with my prime--at least here in the UK you have to buy them--I already own them

problem I have--I can rebuy them--but I have to keep amazon prime for the duration--so I could re buy them but if I cancel amazon prime I lose them as well
              I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here? If you are saying you purchased Amazon's Digital Editions of Babylon 5 and you think you need to pay for Prime to access them then I believe you are incorrect. I can't say for certain because I've had Prime for so long, but I am pretty sure that any digital content you purchased can be streamed through your Amazon account without being a Prime Member. Unless they have changed how it works I believe you only need to be a Prime Member to stream content deemed to be "Prime Content" if you haven't already paid for that content. If you paid for content that has now been reclassified "Prime Content" you should still be able to watch it because you already paid for it. I'm also not sure why you would have to "re buy" the Digital Editions if you already bought them once. Sorry I am a bit confused on your wording. Maybe Prime rules are different for the U.K., but if you purchased the Digital Editions you should be able to watch them even if they are now deemed "Prime Content" and you don't have Prime. You bought them so they are yours. And if you bought the Digital Editions once you should still be able to access them through your Amazon Video Library. I hope that helps. I know it is awfully wordy, but the point is if you paid for digital content on Amazon you should be able to access it without having to be a Prime Member, unless the rules are different in the U.K. - which I can't imagine why they would be.

You know what would be great, if Amazon Video worked like Amazon Music. In case some of you are unaware, when you purchase a CD through Amazon they often give you the digital version. You can download that version as well as stream it through Amazon. Well that is what they should have done with Amazon Video. Then I could have bought the DVDs through Amazon and received the digital editions as well. Of course I bought the DVDs as they were released oh those many years ago, but I did buy a backup DVD set a few years back and they could have given me the digital editions then.

BTW, if you didn't know that little nugget about Amazon Music and you've bought CDs through them check your Music Library because there might be a surprise waiting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                Speaking on the point of fact of what to expect from the fans I'd have to say I don't think there are enough active fans out there to make a difference right now. (I would say people who look for B5 news twice a month are still considered active fans.)

I think one must also take into account that the majority of Babylon 5 fans exist outside the U.S. and they are not getting to see the series through Prime so they likely may not be paying attention to much of this news.

As far as the Facebook groups go you really can't judge. I've joined my share of B5 Facebook groups and other Facebook groups, but I don't really pay attention to them. I come here or B5TV, ISN NEWs, or even Gateworld to learn new things and discuss B5. I can't really make sense of how any discussion of B5 can happen on Facebook. Yeah I know people post stories, opinions, and memes and then people discuss, but there is sooooo much how do you keep track of it all and how do you come back and reference it later? Okay I am on a sidetrack ramble. My point is that I don't think you can count Facebook group numbers as active fans.

I wish we were more organized and motivated, but that is a tall order when you consider how many years it has been. I wish the Official Fan Club had never shutdown so we would at least have an organized point of reference. It would be great if every fan had one place they went for news and discussion so we all knew who we were. Unfortunately that has never been the case and now we are down to a few boards and some Facebook groups.

A quality of Babylon 5 is that it reached such a broad spectrum of fans. Over all of these years we have often tended to rub each other the wrong way on these few remaining boards and Facebook groups. I think the combination of egos, some poorly worded (and possibly poorly envisioned) opinions, some overly tender feelings, and the passage of time have cost these few remaining places active members. People are busy and they need a reason to be motivated in their fandom. To some degree JMS understands this. Yes Firefly fans are motivated, but they had a spark that can continue to motivate them - their show was ended before it really started. Arguably B5 started and ended as planned. If we wanted to be like Firefly fans we should have gotten all of the B5 fans to rally around Crusade and held on to that for all these years. Firefly fans got organized and stayed organized through motivation.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here? If you are saying you purchased Amazon's Digital Editions of Babylon 5 and you think you need to pay for Prime to access them then I believe you are incorrect. I can't say for certain because I've had Prime for so long, but I am pretty sure that any digital content you purchased can be streamed through your Amazon account without being a Prime Member. Unless they have changed how it works I believe you only need to be a Prime Member to stream content deemed to be "Prime Content" if you haven't already paid for that content. If you paid for content that has now been reclassified "Prime Content" you should still be able to watch it because you already paid for it. I'm also not sure why you would have to "re buy" the Digital Editions if you already bought them once. Sorry I am a bit confused on your wording. Maybe Prime rules are different for the U.K., but if you purchased the Digital Editions you should be able to watch them even if they are now deemed "Prime Content" and you don't have Prime. You bought them so they are yours. And if you bought the Digital Editions once you should still be able to access them through your Amazon Video Library. I hope that helps. I know it is awfully wordy, but the point is if you paid for digital content on Amazon you should be able to access it without having to be a Prime Member, unless the rules are different in the U.K. - which I can't imagine why they would be.

You know what would be great, if Amazon Video worked like Amazon Music. In case some of you are unaware, when you purchase a CD through Amazon they often give you the digital version. You can download that version as well as stream it through Amazon. Well that is what they should have done with Amazon Video. Then I could have bought the DVDs through Amazon and received the digital editions as well. Of course I bought the DVDs as they were released oh those many years ago, but I did buy a backup DVD set a few years back and they could have given me the digital editions then.

BTW, if you didn't know that little nugget about Amazon Music and you've bought CDs through them check your Music Library because there might be a surprise waiting for you.

did not purchase the DVD via Amazon--bought the DVDs in a story the sold DVDs

currently traveling a lot--DVDs in storage

yes I have Amazon Prime UK

to watch Babylon 5 via Amazon Prime need to buy stuff I already own

if I cancel Amazon Prime any product I bought I would no longer have access to as you need prime

do you need it more simplified?

Own ALL DVDS--yes

Use Amazon Prime--Yes

want to spend

Comment

I think I bought some episodes from iTunes, the original edit of The Gathering I believe, and I definitely still have the file / download on an external HD. Perhaps that's an option?

I would think you'd get digital downloads via Amazon too, that wouldn't be tied to any membership or subscription. You can always email their customer service I guess.

If you had your DVDs to hand, you could just rip them to a hard drive. Might be a bit labour intensive, but it stops you paying twice for the same product that you already own.
                  Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                    I would think you'd get digital downloads via Amazon too.
                    I am so glad you mentioned that. I own digital copies of some rare movies that I purchased through Amazon. With iTunes I can access and download through my laptop onto an external hard drive, but Amazon does not give me that option on their website. BUT if I look up my Amazon Video Library on my phone it gives me a "Download" option. Can someone explain this two me? I have downloaded movies from iTunes onto an external hard drive that take up 'X' amount of space. I can't imagine people taking up that much space on a phone to download a file that size, yet the only way Amazon gives me that download option is through my phone or tablet.

Plus, does anyone know if you can watch a download from Amazon without using an Amazon App? My guess is no. You can watch the iTunes downloads on my external hard drive without iTunes, but they are mostly five years old or more so I'm not sure that should be used as a current reference.

This is B5 related in that I am thinking about buying the series through Vudu or iTunes. I already have the Original Edit of The Gathering, Season One, and Season Three purchased through Amazon. I would love to have a downloaded version of that Original Edit of The Gathering on my external hard drive or that I could burn to a DVD, but I don't see how I am going to get from my Amazon digital copy to that step. I can't imagine if I downloaded it to my phone I could get it off my phone to an external hard drive and/or to a DVD in an acceptable way.

Sorry, Looney isn't too tech savvy when it comes to downloads.

Comment

Working...
                    X