X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    So, this is USA only apparently. Not quite the earth shattering event I had hoped for.
    Or just not in the U.K.? Has anyone heard anything from anywhere else in the world?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Is this likely to be a licensing issue though? And yep, will contact Amazon.
    Some folks have mentioned that they think Sky/Pick may have the rights until Oct./Nov. Unlike with Go90, I don't think I ever saw mention of a length of contract for that. But even if it is, seeing a big push in the UK the same day it becomes available in the US may provide an impetus for them to pursue it.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I'm encouraging people to contact Amazon especially today. Twitter, FB or their website, contact them!!!

#FreeBabylon5
    Is this likely to be a licensing issue though? And yep, will contact Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    So, this is USA only apparently. Not quite the earth shattering event I had hoped for.
    I'm encouraging people to contact Amazon especially today. Twitter, FB or their website, contact them!!!

#FreeBabylon5

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    I don't know if anyone did this yet, but I went ahead and contacted Amazon to see what I could learn. Here is the quote from the transcript session I had with Saba at Amazon.com.

"I've just checked it Joseph, as far as I know it will be available globally. But I am not so sure about all the countries as it depends on the content providers permissions."

So it all depends on whether or not Warner Brothers has approved the availability in countries outside the U.S. Once again the blame can be placed on WB's shoulders if something goes wrong with this.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Triple F View Post
    Some time in the next year or so I'm going to actually site down and explore the wonders of the internet when it comes to that sort of thing. I’m hearing a lot of goods things about a lot of unofficial or “fan” projects but just haven’t had the time to dig any of them up. This sounds like another of them . . .dammit.

Did you see this that mojo put together a few years back for original BSG.

https://vimeo.com/112282165
    Yeah, I saw that. Really cool.
    Last edited by Ubik; 05-23-2018, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Triple F
    replied
    Wow that's cool. Did you ever see Harmy's Despecialized Edition of Star Wars. That was stunning, and such amazing fan dedication to restore the Original Trilogy un-tooled with, because Lucas refused to do it. Represents some serious work and as far as I know Lucasfilm has let them be.
    Some time in the next year or so I’m going to actually site down and explore the wonders of the internet when it comes to that sort of thing. I’m hearing a lot of goods things about a lot of unofficial or “fan” projects but just haven’t had the time to dig any of them up. This sounds like another of them . . .dammit.

Did you see this that mojo put together a few years back for original BSG.

https://vimeo.com/112282165
    Last edited by Triple F; 05-23-2018, 05:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Triple F View Post
    A few years ago there was also a fan driven 'remaster' of the 4:3 version that was available for download over on usenet (all five seasons, the pilot and the TNT movies). No idea if it’s still there and accessible. Never seen it myself, but apparently it looks really good – with the fx and cgi being pretty crisp - all the way up to 1080 resolutions – almost like your seeing a new show basically.
    Wow that's cool. Did you ever see Harmy's Despecialized Edition of Star Wars. That was stunning, and such amazing fan dedication to restore the Original Trilogy un-tooled with, because Lucas refused to do it. Represents some serious work and as far as I know Lucasfilm has let them be.

I wish we could get his team on B5 restoration. Ha.

Leave a comment:

• Triple F
    replied
    A few years ago there was also a fan driven “remaster” of the 4:3 version that was available for download over on usenet (all five seasons, the pilot and the TNT movies). No idea if it’s still there and accessible. Never seen it myself, but apparently it looks really good – with the fx and cgi being pretty crisp - all the way up to 1080 resolutions – almost like your seeing a new show basically.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    Are you saying the Vudu Digital Copies are 4:3, Sense8ional?
    With the exception of The Gathering (the weird sci-fi channel faux widescreen for some reason), TKO, Severed Dreams, The Paragon of Animals, and Sleeping in Light yes the Vudu episodes are all the original 4:3 versions. It is my favorite version to watch since the EFX look so much better and you do not see the weird dust patterns on the live action shots that are on some episodes on the DVD.
    Last edited by JoeD80; 05-23-2018, 12:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    AND the fact that they were all pretty darn good didn't hurt. I am actually surprised they didn't generate more discussion here, but not everyone is going to buy comic books no matter how good they are.
    A lot of his recent comics work (the Studio JMS / rebooted Joe's comics stuff) did very little for me. I enjoyed Midnight Nation and Rising Stars many moons ago; but am a bit unsure if I'd be as into them now. Some of his Spiderman run was very good but it wasn't consistently great (note I am not talking about the concluding arc that was forced on him). I also enjoyed Supreme Power a lot, but wish it had an ending. Beyond that... I'm a bit meh. His Superman Earth One run felt very phoned in and a bit flat to me. The only creator that really made me LOVE superman was Grant Morrison. I found JMS' run really strangely stilted and unadventurous given it's his favourite character and he had scope to do what he wanted under the Earth One banner. Perhaps it just wasn't the kind of Superman comic I was after.

I still need to check out his run on Thor and must read 'The Twelve' which got excellent reviews.

On the whole, I think there are just better comics out there these days, but it's all down to personal taste.

Coming back to Triple F's rather finely thought out analogy - I think I'm more of a B5 fan than a JMS fan, as I've found a lot of his work post-B5 doesn't hold up for me. B5 really was the sum of many great parts, cast, crew, directors, VFX people, and of course JMS.

Even Sense8 - I enjoyed it, but I wanted to be totally wowed by it, but never was. I wanted that epic scope and long form storytelling, but I never got the feeling that's where we were going with it. I guess it's why I keep coming back to B5... nothing has yet come close in terms of SF on TV.
    Last edited by Ubik; 05-22-2018, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    It was a LOT easier when he had comics coming out all the time!
    AND the fact that they were all pretty darn good didn't hurt. I am actually surprised they didn't generate more discussion here, but not everyone is going to buy comic books no matter how good they are.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    It is easier to be a "JMS" fan because he has other projects going on all the time.
    It was a LOT easier when he had comics coming out all the time!

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    And everybody knows JMS couldn't send a C&D letter, right?
    Now that would be a collector's item. It would be proof I could show people that JMS knows my name. LOL

And honestly I feel I have to put it out there that I feel I am more of a Babylon 5 fan than a JMS fan. Don't get me wrong, I love most of his work, but not everything he has done has been something I treasure. I'm just saying this to clarify that I think Triple F's assessment of B5 fan categories is a somewhat accurate breakdown with varying degrees within the categories. But we all know the truth of the matter is that it is hard to keep fandom for something active when the focus of that fandom isn't active. It is easier to be a "JMS" fan because he has other projects going on all the time.
    Last edited by Looney; 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X