X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Triple F View Post
    I know I sometimes come across as sounding like the grumpy git at a party - sitting in the corner throwing cans and insults at anyone who gets too close – but I am a huge B5 fan that hopes only the best for it. Putting B5Scrolls together meant I once did a lot of reading from a lot of sources in a short period of time to play catch-up, and then talked with folks involved in the production - and as a result of all that couldn’t help but get a sense that perhaps there’s a bit more to what’s going on than simply saying stuff like WB, Paramount and/or TNT hates B5. Just little things that mounted up . . . . .
    One thing I learned very quickly, you often don't really want to know how the magicians create the magic. Once you know what it took and how things happened the magic might not seem so magic anymore. That is why I crave all the info I can about B5, while also trying to stay away from as much info as I can - especially about individuals personalities. It is always tough to find out one of the magicians creating the magic is really not someone you would ever want to know.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Cheers. I was sure I'd read folks saying it was on one (and as it turns out more than one) of the bigger streaming services at some point. So it being on a limited release on Amazon Prime (only available in the US going by the comments) isn’t that big a thing after all.

I know I sometimes come across as sounding like the grumpy git at a party - sitting in the corner throwing cans and insults at anyone who gets too close – but I am a huge B5 fan that hopes only the best for it. Putting B5Scrolls together meant I once did a lot of reading from a lot of sources in a short period of time to play catch-up, and then talked with folks involved in the production - and as a result of all that couldn’t help but get a sense that perhaps there’s a bit more to what’s going on than simply saying stuff like WB, Paramount and/or TNT hates B5. Just little things that mounted up . . . . .
    Ha. I hear you man. I am also prone to grumpy outbursts, but I LOVE the show dearly. Holds many great memories for me from my early teens and later life when I shared the show with other close friends.

Leave a comment:

• Triple F
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    It was Netflix. Super handy as that was my streaming provider of choice back then. I dip in and out and use free trials depending on what each service has. I was kinda hoping Sense8 was going to be the next Stranger Things and we'd perhaps get some kind of Nexflix interest in B5 via that. But... it wasn't to be... I think JMS was hoping that Sense8 would be the springboard to renewed interest in B5. It would tally with the rather grandiose Comic Con proclamations about Studio JMS doing the B5 movie. Working with the Ws was definitely a big thing, but their 'street cred' isn't what it used to be either.

I am now kinda resigned to B5 being a cult thing, and a niche cult thing at that. Much as I'd be curious to see it, I don't think the concept of a B5 feature film has any legs now or in the immediate future.
    Originally posted by sense8ional View Post
    It was also on Hulu (maybe only the first 2 seasons?) and The WB back in 2010. https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...ylon-5-on-hulu

Cheers. I was sure I’d read folks saying it was on one (and as it turns out more than one) of the bigger streaming services at some point. So it being on a limited release on Amazon Prime (only available in the US going by the comments) isn’t that big a thing after all.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    'The Gathering' is. It's part of season 1. And I hear it's the original version. Oh, well, can't have everything.
    Heh. I kinda like the original cut. I gotta admit though, the revised version flows better with the rest of the series. In terms of look and feel.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    'The Gathering' is. It's part of season 1. And I hear it's the original version. Oh, well, can't have everything.
    Okay good. Yes I believe when I purchased the original cut of The Gathering it was technically designated Season One Episode 0, or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    AND OBTW, the movies are NOT included either.

Leave a comment:

• sense8ional
    replied
    It was also on Hulu (maybe only the first 2 seasons?) and The WB back in 2010. https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...ylon-5-on-hulu

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    The term minimal cost is a pretty subjective thing as well - even at a conservative guess of 20 cents a frame that still comes in at over 12,000 bucks an EPISODE just to scan it and nothing else.

Though the 4:3 version does look a lot better even though it’s nothing like hi-def.

BTW. Wasn’t Babylon 5 available for streaming on something like Amazon a few years ago (I don’t mean the pay per episode thing, but being available for streaming as part as the standard package. . . . or was it Netflix, I’m sure folks said it was available years ago.
    It was Netflix. Super handy as that was my streaming provider of choice back then. I dip in and out and use free trials depending on what each service has. I was kinda hoping Sense8 was going to be the next Stranger Things and we'd perhaps get some kind of Nexflix interest in B5 via that. But... it wasn't to be... I think JMS was hoping that Sense8 would be the springboard to renewed interest in B5. It would tally with the rather grandiose Comic Con proclamations about Studio JMS doing the B5 movie. Working with the Ws was definitely a big thing, but their 'street cred' isn't what it used to be either.

I am now kinda resigned to B5 being a cult thing, and a niche cult thing at that. Much as I'd be curious to see it, I don't think the concept of a B5 feature film has any legs now or in the immediate future.
    Last edited by Ubik; 06-01-2018, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Triple F
    replied
    The term minimal cost is a pretty subjective thing as well – even at a conservative guess of 20 cents a frame that still comes in at over 12,000 bucks an EPISODE just to scan it and nothing else.

Though the 4:3 version does look a lot better even though it’s nothing like hi-def.

BTW. Wasn’t Babylon 5 available for streaming on something like Amazon a few years ago (I don’t mean the pay per episode thing, but being available for streaming as part as the standard package. . . . or was it Netflix, I’m sure folks said it was available years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by sense8ional View Post
    So there's no chance that Amazon pays the "minimal transfer cost" for 100+ episodes that JMS suggested them to do...?

Granted JMS is not part of whatever deal WB made so he wouldn't know Amazon weren't exactly seeing this as a priority license, but... he could have guessed. I did!
    Agree, It's probably a cheap acquisition to pad out the SF end of their catalogue. Sadly, very few people are desperately waiting for B5 to drop on Amazon Prime. If you want to watch almost ANY show these days, there's nothing stopping you. The internet exists, any show is out there for free at the other end of a google search. No amount of studio clout can stop that. And most of us die hard fans have the DVDs or the best digital copies we can lay our hands on. I sure as hell wouldn't pay for Prime just for B5.

On the the flip side, I hope it brings in a few new fans and people can enjoy it perhaps, for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• sense8ional
    replied
    So there's no chance that Amazon pays the "minimal transfer cost" for 100+ episodes that JMS suggested them to do...?

Granted JMS is not part of whatever deal WB made so he wouldn't know Amazon weren't exactly seeing this as a priority license, but... he could have guessed. I did!

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Okay so they say they are not sure if it is a technical glitch or if the content provider limited access. They said they are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. So at a minimum they now know there is an issue. Whether or not they can do anything about it remains to be seen.

MEHHHHHHH. So underwhelming. Like Amazon were ever going to even consider a restoration. It's laughable in retrospect. Clearly they couldn't give two shits about the show.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    We're pretty sure it's a glitch but definitely do contact them..
    Okay so they say they are not sure if it is a technical glitch or if the content provider limited access. They said they are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. So at a minimum they now know there is an issue. Whether or not they can do anything about it remains to be seen.

Last edited by Looney; 06-01-2018, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    OMG!!!!! I read something and just double checked it.

SEASON 3 is NOT available. I am calling Amazon now.
    We're pretty sure it's a glitch but definitely do contact them.

Re: Other countries - I think we've heard that it's not in Germany and Australia so far.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    OMG!!!!! I read something and just double checked it.

SEASON 3 is NOT available. I am calling Amazon now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X