• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grumbler
    replied
    Re: Re: Babylon 5, Great Maker, and Religion

Originally posted by Jan
    Through his stories, JMS tends to get people to really think about what they believe and why without challenging those beliefs which I think is a rare gift.
    Yes. He has said many times that he considers his role to ask the questions, not provide the answers. It certainly shows in his work.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Re: Babylon 5, Great Maker, and Religion

Originally posted by Michael Malloy
    Recently on the JMSNews site, I read something JMS wrote in which he identified himself as an Athiest. His roman Catholic stories, anything Jewish, and his made up faiths of aliens are wonderful. Remarkable, considering the respect and accuracy of his writing. Whatever he's doing in this realm, I hope he keeps it up!
    My understanding is that at some point JMS actually was quite religious which would explain his understanding of the religious impulse. I think this quote from JMS is very telling about why he doesn't shy away from discussing and examining beliefs:

I think you *have* to question what you believe (or don't believe, or believe
    you believe or believe what you don't believe) on a regular basis, the way you
    exercise any muscle. If you leave it unattended, it gets flabby and soft and
    intellectually lazy. The peril of the unexamined life is one of the things
    I've often railed about in one place or another...whether or not you come back
    to your original position after a lengthy self-examination, the important thing
    is that you *do* it from time to time, honestly and straightforwardly, because
    you could change your position, or if you don't, at least you now have more
    reasons and a better understanding of it, so that you can defend it and talk
    about it rationally rather than get angry because you can't articulate why you
    believe what you believe.
    Through his stories, JMS tends to get people to really think about what they believe and why without challenging those beliefs which I think is a rare gift.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Be careful. When I created a similar thread, I was attacked and patronized for "not knowing" that JMS is an atheist.
    So by sticking with the topic you'll help keep it from happening again, right?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Be careful. When I created a similar thread, I was attacked and patronized for "not knowing" that JMS is an atheist.

http://jmsnews.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=93
    What the hell are you talking about? I just re-read that whole seven page thread - even though I had a pretty good memory of it - and the fact that he's an atheist is mentioned maybe three times. Certainly not in an attack.

Some damn high flames in there for sure... you weren't even the cause of most of 'em that I recall.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, re-reading again, you got swept up in one attack that had more to do with some bigot's ranting than you. *rolls eyes*

To be actually on-topic: Somewhere in this archive (and on the Midwinter guide) there's a snippet where JMS says he's gotten contact from religious, philosophy, and ethics teachers, using his stuff, which I thought was pretty impressive as well. I've often wondered if there's an actual religion that the whole thing might be based around (some of which is hit on in that thread ZHD linked). Or if one might be drawn from it - which is a crazy thought, but it interests me nonetheless.
    Last edited by Radhil; 10-23-2004, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied

http://jmsnews.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=93

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    started a topic Babylon 5, Great Maker, and Religion

Babylon 5, Great Maker, and Religion

Before I jumped ship from the rotting Episcopal church and was baptized in the Serbian Orthodox Church, I noticed that of all the TV shows I have ever seen - ESPECIALLY SCIFI SHOWS, JMS treated religion with great respect and sympathy bordering on deep personal understanding. There are so many, many, instances in the B5 saga to mention just here. I can say that from an Orthodox Christian viewpoint much of what he wrote is extremely close to good theology as understood in my faith.

Recently on the JMSNews site, I read something JMS wrote in which he identified himself as an Athiest. His roman Catholic stories, anything Jewish, and his made up faiths of aliens are wonderful. Remarkable, considering the respect and accuracy of his writing. Whatever he's doing in this realm, I hope he keeps it up!
Working...
X