X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jal
    replied
    a queston:

what is it with typing "G-d" all the time?

i mean... it`s a simple three letter word and "-" is nowhere near G and H.

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelmaster
    However: Anyone who wants to believe in whichever god they want is free to do so as far as I'm concerned. Just don't try to shove it down my throat.

Of course I still have to look at Zen Buddhism...
    Tastes great, less filling.

(if anyone gets that reference)

There was one passage I read out of a Buddhism book that seems a little apt, and I'll paraphrase, sum up, and generally mangle here:

A monk goes up to Buddha and asks him, "Hey! Look, I get what you're teaching, inner-peace, suffering, yada yada yada, but who created us? Why are we here? What's with this existence stuff? What's our purpose? What's all this mean? You're the leader, the teacher, you're supposed to tell us this stuff!"

Buddha looks up at him and says, "Did I ever say I was going to teach you these things?"

"Er, well... no, not exactly... that's what I expected though."

"Sorry, but I only teach what I know."

(season with Sanskrit words and vague meaningful repetition of phrases as you like to get the original out of this Radhilized version)

Leave a comment:

• SpooRancher
    replied
    Mark Twain's thoughts

Mark Twain once said "If God created man, certainly man has returned the favor."

My personal beliefs parallel many aspects of the explorations in B5 on religion and spirituality (they are NOT the same).

Does the Universe have a creative force? I believe so.

Is that the Judeo-Christian-Islamic god? I don't think so.

Has man taken those among him (and perhaps even Vorlons) and called them gods in order to access part of that creative force? Absolutely. And thus we have mythology, religion and such.

Leave a comment:

• Spirit
    replied
    a piece of kosh

Invent G-d

Well... What can I say - I wasn't clear in my previous post.

I was not talking about G-d specificly - I'm talking about the idea of some supervising force/race/intelligence that guides us though the life giving it a solid nonmaterial meaning.

You would say that this is a universe trying to understand it self - and I'll agree with you partially. You would say that it is G-d - and again I will partially agree with you. There is no way we can see the absolute truth in this (or any other) question. But we can see a part of it - the part that says - there is someone/something out there - and it doesn't matter what, 'cause we can never fully understand it.

And this part stays the same any way you slice it.

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    He obviously believes in truth and keeping promises and acting honorably toward others. He simply doesn't require a god to believe in all that.
    Why is there no applause-emoticon here?

Religion is believing in a specific sort of way. That has nothing to do with 'believing' as such. I believe that the universe is quite capable of being way to complex for us to ever fully understand it. But why should I have to 'invent' a god for that?

I absolutely LOVE the expression jms used when he made Delenn say "We are the universe trying to understand itself". Spot on Joe!

Says it all for me basically. It wasn't jms who made me realize it of course. But he put it one sentence.

Besides : I personally don't want a superbeing or whatever that I can blame when I F*** up. That cheap, it is our own fault and we shouldn't be hiding behind doctrine. We should do something about it.

However: Anyone who wants to believe in whichever god they want is free to do so as far as I'm concerned. Just don't try to shove it down my throat.

Of course I still have to look at Zen Buddhism...

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spirit
    He can state that he believes in nothing - but as I see it - if it is so - then the one who created B5 is not JMS...
    Actually, he's never said he believes in nothing. He obviously believes in truth and keeping promises and acting honorably toward others. He simply doesn't require a god to believe in all that.

And if JMS didn't create B5, who did? As wonderful as it is, I'd never thought of it as Divinely Inspired.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Malloy
    Let the flames begin!
    How 'bout not? As originally used by Michael, the word 'shame' has nothing to do with somebody feeling ashamed for something, it's stating a personal regret.

Jan
    (who'd rather leave her Moderator hat off today, thankyouverymuch)

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied
    I don't really think anyone is flaming here. It is a sensitive subject to say the least.

I personally would consider myself agnostic. I believe there must be something more enlightened and powerful than I am in this vast and wonderful universe. I do not, however, believe I have the slightest grasp of it all, especially enough to name it or label it. That's taking something beyond my understanding and trying to put it into the box of my knowledge. That is nothing less than an oxymoron.

Infinity itself is beyond our ability to comprehend it. Anyone who says, "I know the truth, absolutely and with certainty and this religion or ideology is that truth," I tend to look at with sadness, for that person will never know all they could, or learn all that they could learn.

This, more than anything, is what IMO JMS is trying to say. Open your mind to everything...to all the possibilities. For each one contains a nugget of the whole, and until we collect all of the nuggets, we'll never understand the whole.

The only catch is, we can never collect all of the nuggets in one lifetime. The joy of life and living is to try.

CE

Leave a comment:

• jal
    replied
    Let the flames begin!
    i have other things to do, but please feel free to do your own.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Let the flames begin!

Leave a comment:

• jal
    replied
    myself included, feel it is a shame he has chosen that path.
    as an atheist myself i`m eternally happy that he is as well.

we choose our own path through life, don`t feel shame for his and i won`t feel shame for yours, fair enough?

Leave a comment:

• CRONAN
    replied
    I used to believe in the fairy tales, until i saw my false hope for what is waz and woke up and smelt the coffee.

THough I can see believing in that @ú$Ç can make you a happier person, even though it don't change a damned thing.

Anywayz, @ú$Ç that Ç$ú@ no more philosofical BS from me.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    By his own words, JMS says he is not religious. He says he is an athiest. That is his choice - some people agree with that position and others, myself included, feel it is a shame he has chosen that path. But it's still HIS life.

I simply say that JMS writes with respect when it comes to religions. You simply never see this in television shows, let alone SciFi shows.

Hey, it beats throwing gasoline on the fire.

Leave a comment:

• Spirit
    replied
    Well... Actually... He is NOT religious... (IMO)
    To be religious mean to follow some cult (the cult of Christianity or Judaism or what ever your believe is)...

But to believe that there is Someone (not something for it is conscious) there - is a different thing.

(I AM NOT SPEAKING IN HIS NAME - I AM SPEAKING IN GENERAL TERMS)

I believe. I believe in G-d. But by my believe I'm not determing Him or dimming Him. He is who He is, He ever was and ever will be.

JMS makes us question right about everything. But at same time he says that the truth is absolute but it differs from every point of view and this makes truth tremble.

He can state that he believes in nothing - but as I see it - if it is so - then the one who created B5 is not JMS...

(and I'm not Kosh to tear me apart... )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X