X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Uh...Michael? Exactly what basis do you have for your 'suspicions'? What 'barbs' are you talking about? Actually, I know of at least two sects that simply do not refer to *any* name of God; it's part of their belief structure. Since in communication with others it's necessary to use symbols those non-sect people would recognize, that particular way of typing the word God has been adopted. I don't know how it's dealt with verbally. Isn't it at least as worthy of your respect as any other?

I don't know if that's the exact reason here, but why ascribe to malice what you don't know?

Jan
    Well, let me explain
    I'm a Jew - as i've may stated many times
    In Judaism it is common not to use any version of His name. And "G-d" - well, when you write it fully - it is actually one of His names (though in English). We believe that someone's name
    has a certain power in it. The name has a very important spiritual role and meaning. Kabala provides some basic tools to understand this. It's very interesting and I wish I had more time to start learning it .

For me saying "G-d" is a way to reference Him respectfully. That's it .

Leave a comment:

• SpooRancher
    replied
    Originally posted by colonyearth
    If JMS is, in fact, the Great Maker; and if JMS is, in fact, an atheist; does it not logically follow that JMS no longer believes in himself? CE
    jms did mention that in one of his usenet posts in the past month. He said something about imploding. It was rather humorous.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    << they're all to be treated in an equally respectful manner.>>

Except for offending someone by replacing a letter in the name of their deity with a dash?

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied
    First of all, thank you to those who felt I hit something on the head. That's always fun to do.

Secondly, grumbler, you just have to go and muck up the water, don't you?

And while this has been said numerous times in numerous threads, how many of you know that groups of people sprang up during and after B5 calling themselves Straczynskians because the cosmology JMS laid down throughout B5 finally put into clear and concise words what they believed?

JMS actually doesn't like this, since it puts him in the position G'Kar finds himself in in B5, which I've often wondered if it wasn't a bit of JMS biting back.

And, I've posed this question before and recently couldn't help but read (I think on here) that JMS postulated it himself.

If JMS is, in fact, the Great Maker; and if JMS is, in fact, an atheist; does it not logically follow that JMS no longer believes in himself?

CE

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelmaster
    That was good yeah. And what struck me as the finishing touch was that he also introduced 'an atheist'... jms 4evah!
    Of course, he upset a lot of people because he didn't introduce an Eastern Rite Atheist and a Reformed Atheist as well as a mainstream atheist,

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Originally posted by CRONAN
    Denial can be an ugly thing.
    Cynics can be just as ugly.

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    That was good yeah. And what struck me as the finishing touch was that he also introduced 'an atheist'... jms 4evah!

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    I think one of the best examples of JMS's viewpoint on religion is displayed in that one episode where in the end people of all the different religions are lined up to display the diversity of religious belief on earth and that they're all to be treated in an equally respectful manner.
    Last edited by I love Lyta; 10-26-2004, 02:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Malloy
    Jal asked about the mysterious use of "G-d" in some recent posts.

I may not know the real reason for this coping out, but I have suspicions that the root lies in PC Nazis who are in denial. I have seen this on the university campus where I work...where I was also a student years ago.

It is one thing to simply say "I do not believe" or "I disagree with you on that", and quite another to add barbs clearly intended to mock a person with a different point of view or provoke an angry response.
    Uh...Michael? Exactly what basis do you have for your 'suspicions'? What 'barbs' are you talking about? Actually, I know of at least two sects that simply do not refer to *any* name of God; it's part of their belief structure. Since in communication with others it's necessary to use symbols those non-sect people would recognize, that particular way of typing the word God has been adopted. I don't know how it's dealt with verbally. Isn't it at least as worthy of your respect as any other?

I don't know if that's the exact reason here, but why ascribe to malice what you don't know?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• jal
    replied
    may not know the real reason for this coping out, but I have suspicions that the root lies in PC Nazis who are in denial. I have seen this on the university campus where I work...where I was also a student years ago.
    seems strange to me, i just can`t see a reasonable purpose to misspell it.

I can have respect for people of faith but rarely religious people. I think there is a difference.
    sometimes they both occur in a person, sometimes they don`t, most of the time "ego" gets in the way.

i might have given Buddhism a go, but unfortunately, i don`t believe in reincarnation either.

Leave a comment:

• CRONAN
    replied
    Denial can be an ugly thing.

- Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    It is one thing to simply say "I do not believe" or "I disagree with you on that", and quite another to add barbs clearly intended to mock a person with a different point of view or provoke an angry response.
    I hadn't replied to that because I didn't have a serious answer, but honestly, I didn't get that. G-d I've heard in other places. Hell, on TV shows, about G-d (see Arcadia, Joan, also under viewing, recommended).

I don't know what the hell the actual purpose of the shortcut it, but I really doubt it's malicious. Maybe a retrograde way of making the actual use of the word God a little more meaningful by using it less.

Who knows. I'm babbling.

And since Flynn brought it to my attention (why I wasn't paying attention before, I dunno)... but CE - Hammer, nail, head. I have more words in that vien, but the brain is being balky.

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    originaly posted by Colonyearth

Infinity itself is beyond our ability to comprehend it. Anyone who says, "I know the truth, absolutely and with certainty and this religion or ideology is that truth," I tend to look at with sadness, for that person will never know all they could, or learn all that they could learn.
    I like what Colonyearth said. Like him I am an agnostic.

Sadly each day I slip towards atheism a little more as I see the religious of the world do there level best to ruin the planet in the name of an angry god.

The only religions that I have respect for are some the eastern religions. They seem to encourage intellectual growth and the need, at least, to understand our universe. And they don't seem so cocksure and self satisfied that they know it all and that there way is the exact and only way.

I can have respect for people of faith but rarely religious people. I think there is a difference.

If this is heaven wouldnÆt that be hell?

TWT

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Jal asked about the mysterious use of "G-d" in some recent posts.

I may not know the real reason for this coping out, but I have suspicions that the root lies in PC Nazis who are in denial. I have seen this on the university campus where I work...where I was also a student years ago.

In my book, the un-called for insults and provocations are merely the actions taken by people with no manners and who seem to feel somehow elevated by their immature acts. How sad it is that these people have such low self esteem that they feel the need to insult others to raise their own status.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    Buddha looks up at him and says, "Did I ever say I was going to teach you these things?"

"Er, well... no, not exactly... that's what I expected though."

"Sorry, but I only teach what I know."
    Gosh, Bhudda must have been channeling G'Kar that day.

Never trust a "Holy Man" who thinks he has Any of the answers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X