• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Didn't God tell Moses his name was "I AM?"
    I think a closer transaltion would be..." I am what I shall prove myself to be" . Besides, Moses (under devine inspiration) wrote the fist 5 books of the bible and at Exodus (I think....EX 6:3) he writes God's name, so I don't doubt that he used every day. The devine name is also found (I think) at Psalms 83:18. Make no mistake, those folks of biblical history Knew AND USED the devine name alright.

Actually, when you see the term "The Lord, My God" in the Old Testament, it usually means (usually) that the devine name has been removed and substitued. Those occurences number in the (minimum) dozens, possibly hundreds.
    Last edited by DGTWoodward; 10-29-2004, 01:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Didn't God tell Moses his name was "I AM?"

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranger1
    Yup,Jews are not allowed to say god's name out loud,which is Jehovah (or how ever you spell that),even the word God in Hebrew (HELOHIM),Jews are not suppose to say that,but ELOKIM (in Hebrew text the letter H pronounced "hey" is God's first letter,so they kinda "cheat" and remove the H with K).

OMG i just got strucked by lightning
    Now I thought (again, from various versions and translations of old testament) that Elohim means (literally) GOD-GOD ie almighty god and is still in itself NOT a name. I think that you are much closer with Jehovah (a strictly modern English version of God's name - but again, there's no doubt over whom we are refering to, regadless of its modern qualities) or perhaps 'Yahweh' (poss phonetically "YA-HA-WAY"). I think that it on this ancient hebrew/aramaeic word on which our version 'Jehovah' is based. It makes no difference to me, I know exactly who I am talking about when I speak that name!

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by LightStorm
    OK, now I am confused. Really, do you mean to tell me that Jews don't use God's (according to them) ACTUAL NAME?!
    Yup,Jews are not allowed to say god's name out loud,which is Jehovah (or how ever you spell that),even the word God in Hebrew (HELOHIM),Jews are not suppose to say that,but ELOKIM (in Hebrew text the letter H pronounced "hey" is God's first letter,so they kinda "cheat" and remove the H with K).

OMG i just got strucked by lightning

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Spirit
    Well, let me explain
    I'm a Jew - as i've may stated many times
    In Judaism it is common not to use any version of His name. And "G-d" - well, when you write it fully - it is actually one of His names (though in English). We believe that someone's name
    has a certain power in it. The name has a very important spiritual role and meaning. Kabala provides some basic tools to understand this. It's very interesting and I wish I had more time to start learning it .

For me saying "G-d" is a way to reference Him respectfully. That's it .
    OK, now I am confused. Really, do you mean to tell me that Jews don't use God's (according to them) ACTUAL NAME?! A race with such a rich religious history and you don't say God's name - that really surprises me! I also do not understand why this should be - from my reading of various versions of the old testament didn't Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Solomon, ALL of them use God's name? According to the text, they certainly did. This is why I am confused. Oh, I know it wouldn't be the exact same version of His name, I mean, who speaks ancient hebrew anymore? But even with that, we still use the names Moses and Abraham and even though they are also not in said in extinct hebrew, there is totally no doubt over who we are refering to, is there? Information please....

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    Of course, he upset a lot of people because he didn't introduce an Eastern Rite Atheist and a Reformed Atheist as well as a mainstream atheist,
    I found this very funny actually CE, sarcastic humour at its best

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    << they're all to be treated in an equally respectful manner.>>

Except for offending someone by replacing a letter in the name of their deity with a dash?

Except for the fact that g-d, G-d, god, God or even GOD is NOT an name at all. Pardon me?

"GOD" IS NOT A NAME!!!!

It is a position, a title, a (if you like) rank. King, Queen, President, Judge, Officer, god.....they are all titles. Not one of them is a name. So the next logical question...?

So, what IS God's actual name?

This, I suspect, is a whole other thread all together....

Leave a comment:

• Spirit
    replied
    Sorry for the broken link (the last one)
    Here it is:
    http://ancienthistory.about.com/libr...slegends1a.htm

Leave a comment:

• Spirit
    replied
    Originally posted by I love Lyta

So yes, I'd love to see some links.
    I thought may be you all want to read this :-), so:

Well you don't need to learn any ancient language. I know only three - Russian, Hebrew and English.
    Most of my materials are in English (though not modern English).

Here you are few things to read:

The Book of Enoch - Human that became an angel.

And here some Jewish legends - in fact it is an Old Testemony in more details and stories you've never heard in the past.
    It's about mystic forces, angels etc

I hope you'll like it.

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    Originally posted by iamsheridan
    I was thinking more in the line of Twin Peaks...
    It was my instant impression that you referred to THAT Bob.
    Tho I don't think "God" would rape 17yr old girls.

Btw, since he is supopsed to be very old you could also have been referring to "Old Bob" from The Black Hole.

Leave a comment:

• iamsheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelmaster
    Would you happen to be a Hitchhiker's-fan?

p.s. Oh and have fun on the 30th... I don't think there are any B5-fanevents over here.
    I was thinking more in the line of Twin Peaks...

Ah, there was a guy in HGTTG... On that planet. Hmmm... Was his name Bob? And was he god? I don't remember what he did.

Ahhhh, I need to reread it!

And thanks, it feels as if that's the case all over the world. No special B5 events whatsoever. Almost.

/IamS

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by iamsheridan
    BOB ?

/IamS
    Would you happen to be a Hitchhiker's-fan?

p.s. Oh and have fun on the 30th... I don't think there are any B5-fanevents over here.

Leave a comment:

• iamsheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by I love Lyta
    I had taped the movie "Warlock" once. At the end when he throws the gand grimmoire on the ground so it will display the true name of "God" for him to spell it backwards and hence undo all of creation I paused and the name was actually readable. But I forgot what it was.
    BOB ?

/IamS

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    So, an angel was sent to tell David the divine name.
    I had taped the movie "Warlock" once. At the end when he throws the gand grimmoire on the ground so it will display the true name of "God" for him to spell it backwards and hence undo all of creation I paused and the name was actually readable. But I forgot what it was.

The are many different spirits and angels in different levels of this world - some are even in our material world.
    Yeah many nature religions say so. The indians i.e. believe that actually every object has it's own Manitou.
    Btw, I personally know an angel. She is sitting 20m down the corridor in another office. Her name even is "Angela".

It is very facinating If you do not beleave in this abrakadabra (by the way - those are really magic words - but in arameic (ancient semitic language) - it means "I'll create as I say" - those were use by the shamans and pagan priests ) - fine .

But i recommend reading some legends - it's like fantasy - only better (ask 4 links)
    I'm open for lots of things. Magic, paranormal activities, esp and the likes. The only thing I have a big problem with is this whole "God" concept.
    Also I like reading Legends very much. Tho most of those I've read so far are either germanic or greek ones.
    I'm pretty good at languages and I'd love to learn sumeric, arameic and other ancient languages but I have too little time and I wouldn't know where I could go to learn em around here anyway.
    So yes, I'd love to see some links.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by thebaron
    Did it mention The Great Pumpkin ???
    Wahh!!! That was on TV last night and I *missed* it! I'll have to rely on having seen it for the past (mumble mumble) years before....sigh...<g>

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X