Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5, Great Maker, and Religion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    "We believe that someone's name has a certain power in it."

    OK, I'm no expert since I don't believe in Gods and I know the rituals of excorcism only from a movie on TV that is supposed to be based on a real occurrance.
    But from what I seem to know so do the christians.
    At least when it comes to excorcism and demons.
    They always ask the demon's secret name.

    I was about to write a well known quote from The Life of Brian here but wouldn't want to offend spirit.
    What's up Drakh?

    Comment


    • #47
      <<The mention of Wiccans reminds me, I saw in the news yesterday that a schoold district (was it in Salt Lake City maybe?) banned Halloween celebrations because its representation of witches might offend Wiccans...>>

      Speak of the devil. No pun intended. I just saw a piece on that on the evil, biased FNC. They found a witch living outside the city because they couldn't find one in the city. She said she didn't care.

      I don't know, Montoya, this sounds like a liberal PC thing to me. Besides, isn't SLC predominantly Mormon, not Christian?

      Aside from all this, if Halloween is pagan in origin, therefore religious, should it not be banned from schools, due to "separation of church and state?" Or is it just a folk holiday now?
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
        Aside from all this, if Halloween is pagan in origin, therefore religious, should it not be banned from schools, due to "separation of church and state?" Or is it just a folk holiday now?
        Basically, it's just a folk holiday these days.

        The term Halloween, though, stems from All Hallows Eve which is the night before All Souls Day/All Souls Day, a Christian (Catholic?) observance. Of course, as many Christian holidays were set, there's a pagan festival at or near the same time called Samhain which celebrates the end of summer/harvest. As I recall, on Halloween the superstion was that the spirits could come over from 'beyond' and wearing masks could help frighten them away.

        There now, how's that for more than you ever wanted to know? ;-)

        Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

        Comment


        • #49
          <<The term Halloween, though, stems from All Hallows Eve which is the night before All Souls Day/All Souls Day, a Christian (Catholic?) observance. Of course, as many Christian holidays were set, there's a pagan festival at or near the same time called Samhain which celebrates the end of summer/harvest. As I recall, on Halloween the superstion was that the spirits could come over from 'beyond' and wearing masks could help frighten them away.>>

          Thanks, Jan, but I learned all that in 1982 from the book "Charlie Brown's Big Book of Facts" or some such.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller

            Thanks, Jan, but I learned all that in 1982 from the book "Charlie Brown's Big Book of Facts" or some such.
            Did it mention The Great Pumpkin ???
            ---
            Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
            www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by I love Lyta
              "We believe that someone's name has a certain power in it."

              OK, I'm no expert since I don't believe in Gods and I know the rituals of excorcism only from a movie on TV that is supposed to be based on a real occurrance.
              But from what I seem to know so do the christians.
              At least when it comes to excorcism and demons.
              They always ask the demon's secret name.

              I was about to write a well known quote from The Life of Brian here but wouldn't want to offend spirit.
              There is a legend about young King David.
              After defeating the Goliath, Goliath's brother (who was also a giant - the descendand of the angels who took them mortal wifes)
              decided to revenge his brother's death. The only way to defeat Goliath's brother was to say out loud the holly divine name. But no one knew it for it has so much power in it - it can kill instantly the very person that pronounces it.

              But David was a righteous man (well, not all the time - but we are not judging, right ?)

              So, an angel was sent to tell David the divine name. And the moment he pronounced it, the earth "opened her mouth and swallowed" the giant.

              That's the story

              About the names... Actually you are right. Names are used to perform an exorcism. In many jewish manuscripts described a way to summon a spirit or an angel by calling his name in some special moment.

              The are many different spirits and angels in different levels of this world - some are even in our material world.

              It is very facinating If you do not beleave in this abrakadabra (by the way - those are really magic words - but in arameic (ancient semitic language) - it means "I'll create as I say" - those were use by the shamans and pagan priests ) - fine .

              But i recommend reading some legends - it's like fantasy - only better (ask 4 links)
              Seek salvation, for the war is here... Deny nothing

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by thebaron
                Did it mention The Great Pumpkin ???
                Wahh!!! That was on TV last night and I *missed* it! I'll have to rely on having seen it for the past (mumble mumble) years before....sigh...<g>

                Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Spirit
                  So, an angel was sent to tell David the divine name.
                  I had taped the movie "Warlock" once. At the end when he throws the gand grimmoire on the ground so it will display the true name of "God" for him to spell it backwards and hence undo all of creation I paused and the name was actually readable. But I forgot what it was.

                  Originally posted by Spirit
                  The are many different spirits and angels in different levels of this world - some are even in our material world.
                  Yeah many nature religions say so. The indians i.e. believe that actually every object has it's own Manitou.
                  Btw, I personally know an angel. She is sitting 20m down the corridor in another office. Her name even is "Angela".

                  Originally posted by Spirit
                  It is very facinating If you do not beleave in this abrakadabra (by the way - those are really magic words - but in arameic (ancient semitic language) - it means "I'll create as I say" - those were use by the shamans and pagan priests ) - fine .

                  But i recommend reading some legends - it's like fantasy - only better (ask 4 links)
                  I'm open for lots of things. Magic, paranormal activities, esp and the likes. The only thing I have a big problem with is this whole "God" concept.
                  Also I like reading Legends very much. Tho most of those I've read so far are either germanic or greek ones.
                  I'm pretty good at languages and I'd love to learn sumeric, arameic and other ancient languages but I have too little time and I wouldn't know where I could go to learn em around here anyway.
                  So yes, I'd love to see some links.
                  What's up Drakh?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by I love Lyta
                    I had taped the movie "Warlock" once. At the end when he throws the gand grimmoire on the ground so it will display the true name of "God" for him to spell it backwards and hence undo all of creation I paused and the name was actually readable. But I forgot what it was.
                    BOB ?

                    /IamS
                    Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
                    http://www.babcon.org/

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by iamsheridan
                      BOB ?

                      /IamS
                      Would you happen to be a Hitchhiker's-fan?

                      p.s. Oh and have fun on the 30th... I don't think there are any B5-fanevents over here.
                      "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Towelmaster
                        Would you happen to be a Hitchhiker's-fan?

                        p.s. Oh and have fun on the 30th... I don't think there are any B5-fanevents over here.
                        I was thinking more in the line of Twin Peaks...

                        Ah, there was a guy in HGTTG... On that planet. Hmmm... Was his name Bob? And was he god? I don't remember what he did.

                        Ahhhh, I need to reread it!

                        And thanks, it feels as if that's the case all over the world. No special B5 events whatsoever. Almost.

                        /IamS
                        Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
                        http://www.babcon.org/

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by iamsheridan
                          I was thinking more in the line of Twin Peaks...
                          It was my instant impression that you referred to THAT Bob.
                          Tho I don't think "God" would rape 17yr old girls.

                          Btw, since he is supopsed to be very old you could also have been referring to "Old Bob" from The Black Hole.
                          What's up Drakh?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by I love Lyta

                            So yes, I'd love to see some links.
                            I thought may be you all want to read this :-), so:


                            Well you don't need to learn any ancient language. I know only three - Russian, Hebrew and English.
                            Most of my materials are in English (though not modern English).

                            Here you are few things to read:

                            The Book of Enoch - Human that became an angel.

                            And here some Jewish legends - in fact it is an Old Testemony in more details and stories you've never heard in the past.
                            It's about mystic forces, angels etc


                            I hope you'll like it.
                            Seek salvation, for the war is here... Deny nothing

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Sorry for the broken link (the last one)
                              Here it is:
                              http://ancienthistory.about.com/libr...slegends1a.htm
                              Seek salvation, for the war is here... Deny nothing

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                                << they're all to be treated in an equally respectful manner.>>

                                Except for offending someone by replacing a letter in the name of their deity with a dash?

                                Except for the fact that g-d, G-d, god, God or even GOD is NOT an name at all. Pardon me?


                                "GOD" IS NOT A NAME!!!!


                                It is a position, a title, a (if you like) rank. King, Queen, President, Judge, Officer, god.....they are all titles. Not one of them is a name. So the next logical question...?


                                So, what IS God's actual name?


                                This, I suspect, is a whole other thread all together....

                                http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                                Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                                47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X