Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching B5 with C&T - Season 1 (condensed)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
    Oh, dont be. It was never my intention. As Looney said, there is no need as you keep it very de-personalized.
    Thank you.

    Comment


    • #62
      I understand that some of you don't like that we avoided ten episodes, but I think it was necessary to hook C&T.

      And as for cutting nine more episodes, I actually toyed with even more than that. I strongly considered skipping "The Long Dark", which was repeated so many times in syndication that I got sick of it. I even considered going straight from "Rising Star" to "Sleeping in Light", essentially bypassing Season 5 entirely.

      But as much fun as it might be for me to write, and for you to read, "C&T let Bryon have it", I like my condensed Season 5 list.

      Yes, I agree that "The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father" is not essential, but I don't think that justifies skipping it.

      As for "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari", I didn't find Londo's apology nearly as moving as G'Kar's forgiveness to Londo in "The Fall of Centauri Prime". And neither Geek.com nor Jason Shankel put "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" on their respective lists of essential Season Five episodes.

      I already test viewed my Season 5 condensed list, and I think it flows quite well. In "Rising Star" they mention that the regent is ill and will die early in the coming year. So I find it more effective to see the regent in the second episode, rather than wait until episode nine.
      Last edited by alpha128; 08-22-2017, 07:56 PM.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
        I even considered going straight from "Rising Star" to "Sleeping in Light", essentially bypassing Season 5 entirely.
        IMHO this could work, as it was (for a short period of time) a reality. However, you'd miss some good stuff in the later half of S5 that's totally worth it. I kinda like that the series winds down slowly, but am still often frustrated by other events that could have been covered instead of the telepath crisis.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

        Kosh: Good!

        Comment


        • #64
          IMHO I have no idea why you would skip any more episodes now that they are hooked; especially episodes so far down the road as Season 5. Are they really going to get as far as A View From The Gallery and say, "That is it! I won't watch another episode!"?
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by looney View Post
            imho i have no idea why you would skip any more episodes now that they are hooked; especially episodes so far down the road as season 5. Are they really going to get as far as a view from the gallery and say, "that is it! I won't watch another episode!"?
            looney speaks the truth!
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

            Kosh: Good!

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Ubik View Post
              IMHO [going straight from "Rising Star" to "Sleeping in Light"] could work, as it was (for a short period of time) a reality. However, you'd miss some good stuff in the later half of S5 that's totally worth it. I kinda like that the series winds down slowly, but am still often frustrated by other events that could have been covered instead of the telepath crisis.
              I agree with you that the last half of Season 5 is well worth watching. I also agree that way too much time is devoted to the telepath crisis. Following the condensed list brings that plotline down to a much more agreeable three episodes.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Looney View Post
                IMHO I have no idea why you would skip any more episodes now that they are hooked; especially episodes so far down the road as Season 5. Are they really going to get as far as A View From The Gallery and say, "That is it! I won't watch another episode!"?
                Probably not.

                But as you know, uncertainty about Season 5 renewal forced JMS to accelerate the arc, and move about four episodes from the beginning of Season 5 to the tail end of Season 4. Therefore Season 5 begins with a series of slow, padded, standalone episodes.

                IMO, it seems like the first half of Season 5 is marking time, especially considering the plot threads left dangling from Season 4 that one would expect to be addressed right away. I already mentioned the one about the regent dying. There's also the confrontation between Garibaldi and the telepaths teased in "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", and that isn't resolved until "Phoenix Rising". In the original air date/DVD order there are ten episodes separating the two. In the condensed list, there are only three. "Phoenix Rising" is also the episode where Garibaldi finally takes on Bester after this is teased way back in "Rising Star", twelve episodes earlier.

                Comment


                • #68
                  First off, wanted to say thanks! for this thread (first watch of B5/DS9 are always favorites of mine).

                  I understand skipping 1st season eps (and did so when introducing B5 to my wife). However, I wouldn't skip any from here on out unless you're confidant that C&T specifically would not like them; don't skip them because you dislike them. If C&T continue to be hooked, let them experience the whole thing, Byron's warts and all.

                  Personally I don't mind Byron himself, I just think the storyline itself was a couple episodes too long.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by FieryFENIX67 View Post
                    First off, wanted to say thanks! for this thread (first watch of B5/DS9 are always favorites of mine).
                    You're welcome. Thanks for reading and posting. And check this forum for a new thread as C&T start Season 2 - coming soon!

                    Originally posted by FieryFENIX67 View Post
                    I understand skipping 1st season eps (and did so when introducing B5 to my wife). However, I wouldn't skip any from here on out unless you're confidant that C&T specifically would not like them; don't skip them because you dislike them. If C&T continue to be hooked, let them experience the whole thing, Byron's warts and all.

                    Personally I don't mind Byron himself, I just think the storyline itself was a couple episodes too long.
                    As noted above, I think I have perfectly valid reasons to skip one episode each from Seasons 2 and 3. Regarding "Exogenesis", even JMS himself calls it a "non-arc episode" and "the weakest of this season's 22."

                    As for Season 5, we've got a long way to go before we get there, so for now I'll keep my options open.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Wanted to share this and there's no other current thread I think fits. It's a 'top ten episodes' thing but this poster has enough understanding to illustrate arcs and stories rather than just single episodes.

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PnbxyTe-F4

                      "Oh, and you are just showing off now!"
                      Last edited by Jan; 08-27-2017, 07:05 AM.
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Wanted to share this and there's no other current thread I think fits. It's a 'top ten episodes' thing but this poster has enough understanding to illustrate arcs and stories rather than just single episodes.

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PnbxyTe-F4

                        "Oh, and you are just showing off now!"
                        Thanks for sharing, Jan.

                        Rowan J Coleman also produced this video nine months ago entitled Why BABYLON 5 is AWESOME.

                        Nice to see that all his Season 1 selections were episodes that I showed C&T. Although I'm a bit surprised that "Chrysalis" didn't make it on to his list.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X