Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching B5 with C&T - Season 1 (condensed)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Good news there Alpha123!
    The first season is a slow burner and I guess most sf-fans did not know what to make of it at first. I bet they are at least curios to see more after Chrysalis.

    But not keeping the players straight ... In my mind B5 is the show with the most distinct differences between the players, both in prosthetic, color scheme and wardrobe. Not the forehead of the day, like in that other show

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
      Good news there Alpha12[8]!
      The first season is a slow burner and I guess most sf-fans did not know what to make of it at first. I bet they are at least curio[u]s to see more after Chrysalis.
      Yes, the first season is slow and comparatively weak, which was my entire motivation for going with a condensed list. I hope they will want to continue into Season 2 and beyond.

      Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
      But not keeping the players straight ... In my mind B5 is the show with the most distinct differences between the players, both in prosthetic, color scheme and wardrobe. Not the forehead of the day, like in that other show
      I could have been more clear in my original description. What happened is Londo appeared on screen and T asked, "What's the name of the guy with the funny hair again?" And I said, "Londo. Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic." He not confusing the players, he's just having trouble remembering all their names. As I wrote earlier, the Season 2 opening credits should fix this. However, I have to try to hide the credits for first two Season 2 episodes, as I don't want to spoil the surprise of Delenn's new appearance.

      Comment


      • #33
        Legacies

        Back when we were discussing "And The Sky Full Of Stars", I explained that the Earth-Minbari War had left lingering animosity on both sides. I set up this episode by saying it explores that animosity, mostly on the Minbari side.

        When Neroon declared that Shai Alyt Bramner "now belongs to the ages" C said, "They said that about Lincoln." To which I replied, "There are a lot of Civil War references in this show, a lot of World War II references too."

        At the end, when Alisa tells Sinclair that she saw the word "chrysalis" in Delenn's mind, but didn't know what it meant I said, "It's a clue!" Then T said, "So that's something we're supposed to remember?", and I said, "Yes."

        Otherwise, not too much commentary from them, but they both seemed to be pretty engaged by the episode.


        A Voice in the Wilderness part 1

        During an earlier episode T had asked about the planet behind the station. I set up this episode by saying it is about that planet.

        Some of the humor clicked in this episode too. T chuckled at Garibaldi's appearance in the transport tube and Londo's attempt to figure out "The Hokey Pokey".

        T also liked the realism of the news broadcast from Mars, and said that it was "just like present day events."

        At the end I got another "Wow" from C, and she noted that there was a lot going on in the episode.

        However, after the episode C said she didn't think the characters in this series were "endearing" and certainly not as iconic as say, Spock. I had mentioned earlier that C and T are not science fiction fans, and this time C mentioned she found the alien characters "strange". I said that the humans were strange to the aliens, as illustrated by Londo's study of "The Hokey Pokey". To try to ground the alien characters, I mentioned that certain alien races were based on real Earth cultures. For example, the Centauri were based on the Romans with their Emperor, Senate, and handshake.

        I also explained that Ivanova was being bitchy in early episodes because of her family situation. They were well aware of her mother's suicide from having recently watched "Legacies". However, since we skipped "Born to the Purple", I explained that her brother had died during the Earth-Minbari war, and the combined impact of those losses left her father a broken man who had died recently.

        We'll have to see if they find the characters any more endearing in part 2. We're going to have to take a short break before the next episode, so it's good that it starts with a "Previously on Babylon 5" recap.
        Last edited by alpha128; 07-08-2017, 07:38 PM.

        Comment


        • #34
          A Voice in the Wilderness part 2

          As in Part 1, T praised the realism of the ISN newscast in Part 2. At the end, T said it was a "good, exciting episode." He asked if other B5 episodes had exciting space battles like this one, and I said, yes, several other episodes have space battles. T also enjoyed the humor in this episode, e.g., "What kind of name is Franz?"

          Not much commentary from C. However she said was still confused at the end whether the station orbited Mars or Epsilon III. I told her it was Epsilon III. She does have a point about the two planets looking alike.


          Babylon Squared

          Appropriately enough, we ended up watching "Babylon Squared" twice. The first time C had to bail on us about ten minutes in, and I watched the remainder of the episode with T.

          I resolved that we had to watch the episode again for the following reasons:
          1.) Multiple sources declare that "Babylon Squared" is essential viewing
          2.) There was no way I could briefly summarize the events of the episode
          3.) The name of the thread is "Watching B5 with C and T"

          I introduced "Babylon Squared" by saying the episode will leave you confused, and that's by design. And there's a two-part episode in Season 3 that explains everything.

          T really seemed to enjoy it the first time through and had no objection to a second viewing. And when we both watched it again with C, I got the distinct impression that T is much more hooked on the show than C is. For one thing, C seemed to think the phrase "unstuck in time" was laugh out loud funny. Perhaps she's not familiar with Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-Five".

          However when we got the reveal of The One, C asked, "Who is that?" To which I replied, "An older Sinclair." "WHAT?!?" cried C. I said, "Hey, I told you would be confused."

          There are two episodes left in Season 1. C mentioned that she kind of missed Bill Mumy, so hopefully she will enjoy "The Quality of Mercy".

          Comment


          • #35
            Hey Alpha... Keep these coming. This has been really enjoyable to read. Cool seeing them gradually warm to the show. 'Babylon Squared' is a cool ep and I love how it wraps up later on.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

            Kosh: Good!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
              "WHAT?!?" cried C. .
              Yeah I can't wait until we get further in and we get to read about more big exclamations like "WHAT?!" Lol We all know it is coming. I think 98% of people whom one would think would not like Babylon 5 would still get hooked if you could just get them to watch it long enough.
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                Hey Alpha... Keep these coming. This has been really enjoyable to read.
                Will do. Glad you are enjoying this thread.

                Originally posted by Looney View Post
                Yeah I can't wait until we get further in and we get to read about more big exclamations like "WHAT?!" Lol We all know it is coming.
                I might have some more as soon as "Chrysalis". We'll see.

                Comment


                • #38
                  I have no good good comments other than it is great fun to hear about yours, and theirs, experience watching the show. By the way, do they know that you are reporting on them?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                    I have no good good comments other than it is great fun to hear about yours, and theirs, experience watching the show. By the way, do they know that you are reporting on them?
                    They do not know I am reporting on them. I wanted to record their own honest reactions and properly test my revised list so that others on this forum could potentially benefit from it.

                    However, we have only one more Season 1 episode to watch, so perhaps it would be best to end the running commentary after "Chrysalis". What do you all think?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
                      However, we have only one more Season 1 episode to watch, so perhaps it would be best to end the running commentary after "Chrysalis". What do you all think?
                      Why would you do that to us? I mean I understand it is a hassle keeping track, but I know a few of appreciate seeing the updates.
                      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        Why would you do that to us? I mean I understand it is a hassle keeping track, but I know a few of [us] appreciate seeing the updates.
                        Satai with Punsch's comment made me feel a bit guilty about reporting on them without their knowledge. Although it was necessary to get their honest feedback. Furthermore, I have been trying to report their comments as fairly as I can.

                        Anyway, you've convinced me to keep posting - assuming they want to continue after "Chrysalis".

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
                          Satai with Punsch's comment made me feel a bit guilty about reporting on them without their knowledge.
                          Well you have no reason to feel guilty. We don't know who they are or if they even actually exist. You don't even use their names. For all we know you could be making the whole thing up. On their end they should not be upset for the same reasons. I don't think I would care if someone was reporting on my reactions to the show if those they were reporting it to had no knowledge of my identity.
                          Last edited by Looney; 08-19-2017, 06:10 AM.
                          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            Well you have no reason to feel guilty. We don't know who they are or if they even actually exist. You don't even use their names. For all we know you could be making the whole thing up. On their end they should not be upset for the same reasons. I don't think I would care if someone was reporting on my reactions to the show if those they were reporting it to had no knowledge of my identity.
                            Thanks.

                            The update covering the last two episodes of Season 1 should be up in a few days.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              The Quality of Mercy

                              Once again, I got the distinct impression that T is much more hooked on the show than C is. The majority of the commentary was from him.

                              During the sentencing scene, T said something like "I would expect punishments to be more lenient in the future" and I just said "Watch".

                              And during Dr. Rosen's explanation of her healing machine, T said "We could use one of those" but I replied "It's not that simple."

                              C was more engaged when Londo's tentacle was revealed. "What is that?" she asked. "Londo's tentacle" I replied. "Londo has tentacles?" she exclaimed. "Actually Londo has six tentacles" was my answer.

                              Afterwards, T said something like "That was an exciting episode, but in a different way than a space battle episode."


                              Chrysalis

                              Prior to starting this episode, T warned me that he had woke earlier than intended that day and was tired. I told him to try and stay awake because it's the big season finale and a lot of important events happen. However, he had no problem staying alert throughout the entire episode.

                              C was, to use Katie's parlance, in "mad prediction" mode for most of the episode. When Delenn told Kosh that "he would not see her again as she is now" C said, "Maybe she'll come back as a beautiful woman?" I guess my reaction betrayed me, because she started pressing me to find out if she was right. All I would say in reply was, "Come back next season." However, she did also think that G'Kar wasn't coming back. I guess she is getting hooked on the show now. For one thing, when Earthforce One exploded she was literally on the edge of her seat. In addition, she threatened to go on-line and look up the answers to her questions, something she didn't seem interested in doing before. I encouraged her to avoid spoilers on-line, but I don't know if she'll do that.

                              So after it was all over, I asked if they were sufficiently intrigued to see what happened next, and T enthusiastically answered, "Oh yeah". So stay tuned for Watching B5 with C&T - Season 2!
                              Last edited by alpha128; 08-20-2017, 07:58 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
                                The Quality of Mercy

                                Once again, I got the distinct impression that T is much more hooked on the show than C is. The majority of the commentary was from him.

                                During the sentencing scene, T said something like "I would expect punishments to be more lenient in the future" and I just said "Watch".

                                And during Dr. Rosen's explanation of her healing machine, T said "We could use one of those" but I replied "It's not that simple."

                                C was more engaged when Londo's tentacle was revealed. "What is that?" she asked. "Londo's tentacle" I replied. "Londo has tentacles?" she exclaimed. "Actually Londo has six tentacles" was my answer.

                                Afterwards, T said something like "That was an exciting episode, but in a different way than a space battle episode."


                                Chrysalis

                                Prior to starting this episode, T warned me that he had woke earlier than intended that day and was tired. I told him to try and stay awake because it's the big season finale and a lot of important events happen. However, he had no problem staying alert throughout the entire episode.

                                C was, to use Katie's parlance, in "mad prediction" mode for most of the episode. When Delenn told Kosh that "he would not see her again as she is now" C said, "Maybe she'll come back as a beautiful woman?" I guess my reaction betrayed me, because she started pressing me to find out if she was right. All I would say in reply was, "Come back next season." However, she did also think that G'Kar wasn't coming back. I guess she is getting hooked on the show now. For one thing, when Earthforce One exploded she was literally on the edge of her seat. In addition, she threatened to go on-line and look up the answers to her questions, something she didn't seem interested in doing before. I encouraged her to avoid spoilers on-line, but I don't know if she'll do that.

                                So after it was all over, I asked if they were sufficiently intrigued to see what happened next, and T enthusiastically answered, "Oh yeah". So stay tuned for Watching B5 with C&T - Season 2!
                                Yaaaaaaaay! They're hooked.
                                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                                Kosh: Good!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X