Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching B5 with C&T - Season 1 (condensed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alpha128
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    Born to the Purple is one I might have left in as it's fairly strong character stuff. But I can appreciate why you left it out. I have used a compressed S1 to get a few friends into the show and it's always worked better than not doing it.
    I thought about including "Born to the Purple". As you may recall, it was on my original sixteen episode list. However, I don't feel bad about skipping it in light of its SF Debris review where it only gets a rating of "Watchable".

So, I assume there will be no more editing out of episodes after this? Are you going to show them 'Grey 17 is missing'. I think half the fun is having a laugh at some of the shows' cornier elements and its occasional mis-steps.
    I do plan to skip one episode each from Season 2 and Season 3.

From Season 2, I plan to skip "A Spider in the Web", which basically asks a bunch of questions that the series never answers. Plus this way I don't have to try to explain Control (Talia) wanting to kill Talia (Control).

From Season 3, I plan to skip "Exogenesis" which IMO is a filler episode and one of my least favorites. Yes, I do plan to show them "Grey 17 Is Missing", because I feel that the Neroon stuff is essential. I'm just going to tell them up front that the episode is 50% brilliant, 50% crap.

There will be no more significant episode skipping until we get to Season 5. And then I plan to so them this condensed list:

1 No Compromises
    9 The Kingdom of the Blind
    10 A Tragedy of Telepaths
    11 Phoenix Rising
    12 The Ragged Edge
    13 The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father
    14 Meditations on the Abyss
    15 Darkness Ascending
    16 All My Dreams, Torn Asunder
    17 Movements of Fire and Shadow
    18 The Fall of Centauri Prime
    19 Wheel of Fire
    20 Objects in Motion
    21 Objects at Rest
    22 Sleeping In Light

"The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" through "Day of the Dead" are very padded; those seven episodes can be summarized into about four important plot points. I'm just going to tell them the four plot points and skip as much Bryon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS AND I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!! (Glove removed and slap to your cheek delivered!)
    "I don't appreciate being called 'disposable' in front of others."
    "I'm sorry. Is 'skippable' better?"
    -- Paraphrase of Sheridan and Corey from: "There All the Honor Lies"

If I had followed the so-called expert advice, I would have shown C&T even fewer episodes. Jason Schankel states that only eight Season 1 episodes are essential, while Geek.com says you can get by with just six.

So I think that my own twelve episode list was a good foundation for them. I didn't see that many Season 1 episodes when I started watching B5.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
    I think that the ten episodes we skipped were pretty disposable.

And I was able to drop in some plot points from the episodes we skipped into the episodes we watched.

For example, we didn't watch "Survivors", but in "A Voice in the Wilderness #1" when Londo says to Garibaldi, "Water, fascinating! I never touch the stuff myself", I paused the playback and told them that Garibaldi is an alcoholic.

Likewise, we didn't watch "The War Prayer", but I paused the Universe Today front page in "And the Sky Full of Stars" and explained that Homeguard were human supremacists.

Finally we didn't watch "Born to the Purple", but I'll explain to them about Adira before we watch "Interludes and Examinations".
    Born to the Purple is one I might have left in as it's fairly strong character stuff. But I can appreciate why you left it out. I have used a compressed S1 to get a few friends into the show and it's always worked better than not doing it.

So, I assume there will be no more editing out of episodes after this? Are you going to show them 'Grey 17 is missing'. I think half the fun is having a laugh at some of the shows' cornier elements and its occasional mis-steps.
    Last edited by Ubik; 08-22-2017, 05:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    Now now looney.

Not knowing what part of our spinny fragile blue-green JEwel you are from this may be wildly inappropriate but the correct phrasology (said in a suitably cracker southern accent) is "Them's fighin' words"
    AH yes, very true, very true Phaze. Even here in the Middle West U.S. "Them's" and "fightin'" often get thrown around, but only when I REALLY lose my composure.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS AND I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!! (Glove removed and slap to your cheek delivered!)
    Now now looney.

Not knowing what part of our spinny fragile blue-green JEwel you are from this may be wildly inappropriate but the correct phrasology (said in a suitably cracker southern accent) is "Them's fighin' words"

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    WOOOHOOO!!!!! I feel like we need to have a party or something. I knew they would get hooked.

I can't wait until they want to go back and see what they missed. I am sure you won't make it through Season 2 before they are asking that. Then I don't know what you will do.

And I was able to drop in some plot points from the episodes we skipped into the episodes we watched.

For example, we didn't watch "Survivors", but in "A Voice in the Wilderness #1" when Londo says to Garibaldi, "Water, fascinating! I never touch the stuff myself", I paused the playback and told them that Garibaldi is an alcoholic.

Likewise, we didn't watch "The War Prayer", but I paused the Universe Today front page in "And the Sky Full of Stars" and explained that Homeguard were human supremacists.

Finally we didn't watch "Born to the Purple", but I'll explain to them about Adira before we watch "Interludes and Examinations".

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    WOOOHOOO!!!!! I feel like we need to have a party or something. I knew they would get hooked.

I can't wait until they want to go back and see what they missed. I am sure you won't make it through Season 2 before they are asking that. Then I don't know what you will do.

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
    Jack is in the background in a few episodes I think.

Wish there was more Sakai.
    Jack was in three episodes prior to "Chrysalis":

# Title
    6 Mind War
    8 And The Sky Full Of Stars
    12 By Any Means Necessary

On my REVISED LIST I showed those three episodes back to back, and then there was only a six episode Jack gap before "Chrysalis". If the complete season is watched, there is nine episode Jack gap.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Jack is in the background in a few episodes I think.

Wish there was more Sakai.

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Yaaaaaaaay! They're hooked.
    Yes, the condensed list succeeded in hooking them.

I really do think Season 1 flows better in condensed form. For example, both Catherine Sakai and Garibaldi's aide Jack appear early in the season, and then there is a long gap before these characters reappear in "Chrysalis". For example, Katie watched the entire season and in her video said, "What's her name? Catherine? is back now, which is nice, because she hasn't been here like the entire season."

Now I have to make sure to cue up the DVD without C&T in the room, and also skip the opening titles for the first two episodes, so as to not spoil the surprise of Delenn's transformation.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    The Quality of Mercy

Once again, I got the distinct impression that T is much more hooked on the show than C is. The majority of the commentary was from him.

During the sentencing scene, T said something like "I would expect punishments to be more lenient in the future" and I just said "Watch".

And during Dr. Rosen's explanation of her healing machine, T said "We could use one of those" but I replied "It's not that simple."

C was more engaged when Londo's tentacle was revealed. "What is that?" she asked. "Londo's tentacle" I replied. "Londo has tentacles?" she exclaimed. "Actually Londo has six tentacles" was my answer.

Afterwards, T said something like "That was an exciting episode, but in a different way than a space battle episode."

Chrysalis

Prior to starting this episode, T warned me that he had woke earlier than intended that day and was tired. I told him to try and stay awake because it's the big season finale and a lot of important events happen. However, he had no problem staying alert throughout the entire episode.

C was, to use Katie's parlance, in "mad prediction" mode for most of the episode. When Delenn told Kosh that "he would not see her again as she is now" C said, "Maybe she'll come back as a beautiful woman?" I guess my reaction betrayed me, because she started pressing me to find out if she was right. All I would say in reply was, "Come back next season." However, she did also think that G'Kar wasn't coming back. I guess she is getting hooked on the show now. For one thing, when Earthforce One exploded she was literally on the edge of her seat. In addition, she threatened to go on-line and look up the answers to her questions, something she didn't seem interested in doing before. I encouraged her to avoid spoilers on-line, but I don't know if she'll do that.

So after it was all over, I asked if they were sufficiently intrigued to see what happened next, and T enthusiastically answered, "Oh yeah". So stay tuned for Watching B5 with C&T - Season 2!
    Yaaaaaaaay! They're hooked.

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    The Quality of Mercy

Once again, I got the distinct impression that T is much more hooked on the show than C is. The majority of the commentary was from him.

During the sentencing scene, T said something like "I would expect punishments to be more lenient in the future" and I just said "Watch".

And during Dr. Rosen's explanation of her healing machine, T said "We could use one of those" but I replied "It's not that simple."

C was more engaged when Londo's tentacle was revealed. "What is that?" she asked. "Londo's tentacle" I replied. "Londo has tentacles?" she exclaimed. "Actually Londo has six tentacles" was my answer.

Afterwards, T said something like "That was an exciting episode, but in a different way than a space battle episode."

Chrysalis

Prior to starting this episode, T warned me that he had woke earlier than intended that day and was tired. I told him to try and stay awake because it's the big season finale and a lot of important events happen. However, he had no problem staying alert throughout the entire episode.

C was, to use Katie's parlance, in "mad prediction" mode for most of the episode. When Delenn told Kosh that "he would not see her again as she is now" C said, "Maybe she'll come back as a beautiful woman?" I guess my reaction betrayed me, because she started pressing me to find out if she was right. All I would say in reply was, "Come back next season." However, she did also think that G'Kar wasn't coming back. I guess she is getting hooked on the show now. For one thing, when Earthforce One exploded she was literally on the edge of her seat. In addition, she threatened to go on-line and look up the answers to her questions, something she didn't seem interested in doing before. I encouraged her to avoid spoilers on-line, but I don't know if she'll do that.

So after it was all over, I asked if they were sufficiently intrigued to see what happened next, and T enthusiastically answered, "Oh yeah". So stay tuned for Watching B5 with C&T - Season 2!
    Last edited by alpha128; 08-20-2017, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Well you have no reason to feel guilty. We don't know who they are or if they even actually exist. You don't even use their names. For all we know you could be making the whole thing up. On their end they should not be upset for the same reasons. I don't think I would care if someone was reporting on my reactions to the show if those they were reporting it to had no knowledge of my identity.
    Thanks.

The update covering the last two episodes of Season 1 should be up in a few days.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Satai with Punsch's comment made me feel a bit guilty about reporting on them without their knowledge.
    Well you have no reason to feel guilty. We don't know who they are or if they even actually exist. You don't even use their names. For all we know you could be making the whole thing up. On their end they should not be upset for the same reasons. I don't think I would care if someone was reporting on my reactions to the show if those they were reporting it to had no knowledge of my identity.
    Last edited by Looney; 08-19-2017, 06:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X