Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching B5 with C&T - Season 1 (condensed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
    It is hard work to get people interested in a show if they get hung up on lack of cuteness and non state of the art CGI. But hang in there, it will be interesting to hear what you have to report in the future when the show gets going.
    At this point, I think my last chance to hook them is the season finale "Chrysalis". We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
      At this point, I think my last chance to hook them is the season finale "Chrysalis". We'll see.
      You mean that is part of the deal or you just think you are going to give up? Honestly I doubt they are giving it a real chance. It sounds more like they are just watching to placate you. You need to figure out a way to guilt them into watching until they are hooked. With these two it sounds like you might need to get as far as Season 3 for that to happen.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Sometimes with B5 I think it helps a great deal to have seen it at the time, context is really quite important. Although, all of my intelligent SF loving friends have really enjoyed the show.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
          You mean that is part of the deal or you just think you are going to give up? Honestly I doubt they are giving it a real chance. It sounds more like they are just watching to placate you. You need to figure out a way to guilt them into watching until they are hooked. With these two it sounds like you might need to get as far as Season 3 for that to happen.
          The deal I made with them was for twelve episodes. I told them that if, after the twelfth episode ("Chrysalis"), they weren't interested in finding out what happens next, then we would find something else to watch.

Since "Chrysalis" leaves so many plot threads dangling, I'm hoping they'll want to keep watching. But there's no guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
            Sometimes with B5 I think it helps a great deal to have seen it at the time, context is really quite important. Although, all of my intelligent SF loving friends have really enjoyed the show.
            At least they don't seem to dislike it. They aren't complaining about it. But they're not hooked yet.

Comment

Sometimes with B5 I think it helps a great deal to have seen it at the time, context is really quite important.
              SO VERY TRUE. So many people can't view things through the lens of the context of the time they were made to see how brilliant they were and continue to be. People question the real greatness of Silent films because they view them as being simple when in fact so many were so complex to make. People can't see how truly brilliant and groundbreaking movies like King Kong or Citizen Kane are because they don't see the ground those movies broke. Babylon 5 falls so much into the same category. People don't realize how groundbreaking so many aspects of the show were. They just see CGI that they deem inferior and storytelling that they don't realize broke the mold for Science Fiction storytelling in the U.S. and that so many have tried and failed to imitate since.

Comment

SO VERY TRUE. So many people can't view things through the lens of the context of the time they were made to see how brilliant they were and continue to be. People question the real greatness of Silent films because they view them as being simple when in fact so many were so complex to make. People can't see how truly brilliant and groundbreaking movies like King Kong or Citizen Kane are because they don't see the ground those movies broke. Babylon 5 falls so much into the same category. People don't realize how groundbreaking so many aspects of the show were. They just see CGI that they deem inferior and storytelling that they don't realize broke the mold for Science Fiction storytelling in the U.S. and that so many have tried and failed to imitate since.
                So true, and I think B5 only really comes into it's own once you've seen it as a whole. Hopefully C&T are happy to keep going. Probably a harder sell if they're not SF fans.

Comment

"Signs and Portents"

Before starting, I explained how each year of B5 has a title, and that one episode has the same title as its year, to emphasize its significance.

T indicated that he is still having trouble keeping the players straight. I blame the Season One opening credits for this. I myself had some difficulty with who's who until the Season Two opening credits started putting faces with names.

During G'Kar's response to Mr. Morden that he wants to utterly erase the Centauri, T said something like, "That doesn't bode well for galactic peace." To which I replied, "Yes it isn't going to be easy."

Both C and T got a good laugh from the scene with Londo and G'Kar at the elevator.

At the end we see Ladira's vision of the station blowing up. T said something like, "The effects must have been revolutionary back in their day." To which I replied, "Yes, they were cutting edge, state of the art at the time, and they get better as the series goes on." And C actually said "Wow!" at the end.

I think I may actually be starting to hook them.

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! I had total faith in you alpha128 . . . and I thought the content might help too.

Okay overreaction aside I am so glad to hear something positive; even the slightest bit of a hook might be all it takes.

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! I had total faith in you alpha128 . . . and I thought the content might help too.

Okay overreaction aside I am so glad to hear something positive; even the slightest bit of a hook might be all it takes.
                      Yes, we're halfway through the "revised list" now. Next we will go straight from #17 "Legacies" through #22 "Chrysalis".

Previously, I was holding out hope for "Chrysalis", but they may be getting hooked earlier than I anticipated.

Comment

Yes, we're halfway through the "revised list" now. Next we will go straight from #17 "Legacies" through #22 "Chrysalis".

Previously, I was holding out hope for "Chrysalis", but they may be getting hooked earlier than I anticipated.
                        So your next update will be after you have watch through Chrysalis with C&T?

Comment

So your next update will be after you have watch through Chrysalis with C&T?
                          I'll probably post a few updates that cover the last six episodes. The exact number of updates will depend on how much they have to say.

The point that I was trying to make earlier was that once we start on "Legacies" we'll be done skipping episodes for the remainder of Season 1.

Comment

"Signs and Portents"

Before starting, I explained how each year of B5 has a title, and that one episode has the same title as its year, to emphasize its significance.

T indicated that he is still having trouble keeping the players straight. I blame the Season One opening credits for this. I myself had some difficulty with who's who until the Season Two opening credits started putting faces with names.

During G'Kar's response to Mr. Morden that he wants to utterly erase the Centauri, T said something like, "That doesn't bode well for galactic peace." To which I replied, "Yes it isn't going to be easy."

Both C and T got a good laugh from the scene with Londo and G'Kar at the elevator.

At the end we see Ladira's vision of the station blowing up. T said something like, "The effects must have been revolutionary back in their day." To which I replied, "Yes, they were cutting edge, state of the art at the time, and they get better as the series goes on." And C actually said "Wow!" at the end.

I think I may actually be starting to hook them.
                            Ah yes, this is such a great episode. I still have quite a few buddies who like SF, but the time commitment to give B5 a go is too much for most of them.

Comment

I still have quite a few buddies who like SF, but the time commitment to give B5 a go is too much for most of them.
                              Here are some resources I consulted when coming up with my condensed list of Season 1. They are both spoiler-free. Perhaps your buddies would find them helpful:

Babylon 5 condensed

The Essential Babylon 5

Comment

Here are some resources I consulted when coming up with my condensed list of Season 1. They are both spoiler-free. Perhaps your buddies would find them helpful:

Babylon 5 condensed

The Essential Babylon 5
                                Cheers! Maybe one day I get to do this, perhaps when we all retire. Hahahaha.

Comment

Working...
                                X