Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpopular/overlooked things that you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I've always liked Rangers.

My 'overlooked' episode is 'Grail'. Sure, it's silly in parts and the fact that the director didn't direct (Compton had been fired and this was his final episode) sure didn't help but it's a quiet, gentle episode that I like. And the speech where Aldous talks about his grief is so touching. I think if it had had a competent director it might have been great.
    DEFINITELY AGREE. I think GRAIL is a solidly written episode, but the performances from certain people are off key.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      DEFINITELY AGREE. I think GRAIL is a solidly written episode, but the performances from certain people are off key.
      The actor who played Jinxo was on his first pro gig, iirc. I didn't care for the character of Deuce at all but he obviously played as intended since he came back later on.
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        Bit of a tangent here, but you made me kinda curious to re-watch LOTR. So I just did, and you know what, it's not quite as god awful as I remember it being.

I won't go over old ground with this one, because the flaws have been well documented. Those oft mentioned things aside, it's a fairly solid pilot and leaves a fair bit of scope for an interesting show. I do like the supernatural element of the ship being haunted.

I'm sure the quirks would have been ironed out as it went. It's a shame it didn't go to series because I have a feeling it might have been better than Crusade in the long run!

I think LOTR probably qualifies as 'unpopular' with B5 fandom... still unsure if I 'like' it though. I definitely didn't 'hate' it this time around, which is an improvement on last time I watched it!
        Glad I could inspire a rewatch and less hate for it.

The original version of The Gathering ended up ironed out too. I'm quite sure that the complaints would've either been explained or made as many appearances as Delenn's gravity rings.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        I've always liked Rangers.

My 'overlooked' episode is 'Grail'. Sure, it's silly in parts and the fact that the director didn't direct (Compton had been fired and this was his final episode) sure didn't help but it's a quiet, gentle episode that I like. And the speech where Aldous talks about his grief is so touching. I think if it had had a competent director it might have been great.
        I easily recall two things from Grail. One is the scene with Aldous that you mention. The other is the courtroom scene in the beginning with the human suing the Vree because "his great-grandfather kidnapped my great-grandfather". I think I need a rewatch tonight.
        "It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."

Comment

Originally posted by Melanie View Post
          I'm quite sure that the complaints would've either been explained or made as many appearances as Delenn's gravity rings.
          This still cracks me up every time I see it.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I rewatched Grail yesterday and it was a lot better than I remembered. I liked seeing how the characters interacted with Thomas and Aldous. I remembered that there was a scene where Vir was being efficient in getting the data on something that Londo wanted money for, but I didn't realize it was this episode. The most recent episode I watched before it was Sleeping in Light, so it was quite odd to see the future emperor as comic relief again.

Seeing the real Kosh just tilt his "head" when the humans he had agreed to see ran off was funny. There was also some nice foreshadowing in his conversation with Sinclair where Sinclair basically said that people are nervous around him and Kosh replied with "Good". Yeah, don't trust the Vorlons.
            "It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."

Comment

Maybe this isn't something that is overlooked, but I feel it could use a mention - the effects shots of the interior gardens area. While watching PARLIAMENT OF DREAMS, 1.5, recently I noticed something great. I turned the contrast and brightness all the way up on the Blu-Ray player I was watching the DVD on. Just as Sinclair and Catherine Sakai are supposed to be walking into Fresh Air there is a shot of the restaurant entrance. With the brightness and contrast all of the way up I could REALLY see the night interior/exterior shot of "The Gardens" area in the background. I just love those shots of "The Gardens" when you see the gardens, lakes, buildings, and superstructure all around the cylinder. This shot also points to the fact that Fresh Air was remodeled during the series. The effects shot of the restaurant was re-done and it looks different in subsequent episodes, but that can fit in the logic of the story because restaurants get remodeled.

During MIND WAR, 1.6, Jason Ironheart is told it is five hundred credits a week for the standard guest quarters on Babylon 5. I wonder how much extra it would be if you had quarters that had a window to the gardens?
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Working...
              X