No announcement yet.

IMDb is Shutting Down their Message Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really sad about IMDb dying. Yeah, there were a ton of trolls there, but they had a board for every single movie and tv show out there and it was popular, and I went there all the time.

I did save all of the B5 posts that were there at the time of the announcement, and I've got some older ones saved, as well. I also saved a bunch of the actors message boards, as well. There wasn't a whole lot there. IMDb was never fair to B5.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi had 30 frelling pages. So I saved all of the star wars stuff, but only some of the last jedi cos after a week or so of constant 12 hour a day saving, my hands were getting tired.

But still, movie and tv watching is not going to be as fun anymore without IMDb.

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
      I am really sad about IMDb dying... they had a board for every single movie and tv show out there and it was popular, and I went there all the time. ... Movie and tv watching is not going to be as fun anymore without IMDb.
      I know what you mean. Whenever I would see a new movie I would go its message board afterwards and read what the users had to say about it. That's no longer an option.

Comment

The last two and weeks have not been fun. We (the volunteer poll authors and admins) were able to transfer the discussion of the IMDb polls to a different forum, Get Satisfaction:
        https://getsatisfaction.com/imdb/cat...imdb_imdb_poll

I'm really sad to see the IMDb message boards go the way of the dodo and dinosaurs. A lot of information has been lost. Other user based content survived: lists, polls, reviews, film FAQs and parents guides.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
          The last two and weeks have not been fun. We (the volunteer poll authors and admins) were able to transfer the discussion of the IMDb polls to a different forum, Get Satisfaction:
          https://getsatisfaction.com/imdb/cat...imdb_imdb_poll
          I wondered how the IMDb polls would continue without the message board. More than once I saw an important choice missing from a poll, and asked, via the message board, for it to be added.

I used to vote in IMDb polls regularly. But I lost all interest in their polls when the message boards were taken down. I logged out of the IMDb four days ago, and I think I've visited the site once (as a guest), very briefly, since then.
          Last edited by alpha128; 02-23-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I will never visit imdb again. They are dead to me. If I want actor or episode information I will go to wikipedia.

Right now, reddit seems to be the next best choice for forums. They seem to have boards for everything on there. It's not quite the same thing, but so far seems to be the best option. For me, at least.

There's also tmdb: https://www.themoviedb.org/. I haven't had a chance to look around yet, but it was being pimped pretty hard during imdb's last days.

Comment

Right now, reddit seems to be the next best choice for forums.

There's also tmdb: https://www.themoviedb.org/. I haven't had a chance to look around yet, but it was being pimped pretty hard during imdb's last days.
              I signed up for IMDB v2.0, which is a new message board site that popped up shortly after the IMDb made their announcement about closing their boards It's run by this Admin. Many former IMDb users have signed up and it now has nearly 2,400 members.

It has no Babylon 5 board though, so JMSNews fills that niche nicely!

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
                I signed up for IMDB v2.0, which is a new message board site that popped up shortly after the IMDb made their announcement about closing their boards It's run by this Admin. Many former IMDb users have signed up and it now has nearly 2,400 members.

Thanks for the link.

Added to my bookmarks. Reddit has B5 boards, too. This place is nice and cozy. Small, not a whole lot of activity. A couple years ago when we believed in the B5 movie myth, this place was actually kinda active. It was nice seeing all the new people and old fans returning. Didn't last long, but it was fun.

Best part is that hardly anything gets deleted and trolls aren't allowed. Although sometimes trolls can be fun. The straight dope message board has a forum called the garbage pit where trolling is allowed and sometimes I like to go in there and just enjoy the swearing. *teehee*

Here it's all very civilized and polite, but Jan's not a nazi mod, and disagreements are allowed as long as they're worded nicely.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Added to my bookmarks.
                  Your welcome.

For a site that didn't exist prior to the IMDb closure announcement, IMDB v2.0 is coming along nicely. 2,400 users may not seem like much, but I recognize a lot of usernames from the IMDb. And the vast majority of them are people I'm glad to see!

Reddit has B5 boards, too. This place is nice and cozy. Small, not a whole lot of activity.
                  In the last days, somebody on the IMDb B5 board suggested Reddit as an alternative, and Jan swooped in and recommended this place. I just don't like the look of Reddit, but felt immediately at home here.

The only thing missing here, that I saw regularly on the IMDb B5 board, are questions from new viewers who are just starting the series. Jan and I and other First Ones would teach the new viewers, help them along...

Comment

Jan and I and other First Ones would teach the new viewers, help them along...
                    Indeed, I feel like I'm constantly telling people that their 'converts' are welcome here and that we'd love to keep a spoiler-free thread just for them. Someday somebody will take me up on it!
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks for providing the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Indeed, I feel like I'm constantly telling people that their 'converts' are welcome here and that we'd love to keep a spoiler-free thread just for them. Someday somebody will take me up on it!
                        FYI. I haven't given up on my attempt to win new converts, but there's going to be a delay because they want to watch something else for a few weeks. Since they indulged me for five seasons of "Person of Interest", it's only fair that we next watch what they want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
                          Thanks for providing the link.
                          You're welcome. Several new sites are taking on refugees from the IMDb, but IMDB v2.0 seems to have the most users and activity.

Comment

Working...
                          X