No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Encyclopedia is HERE!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The books are quite impressive and the box they came in was neat, though I did get quite a paper cut from it. I guess this is a fitting thing to close out the Babylon 5 era with since I don't see anything on the horizon and even JMS seems to be taking it easy recently, which I have never seen him do before.

One other thing I would like to see published would be a detailed 'making of book' that would cover the series from its earliest days to it the bitter end. An example of this kind of detail can be found in the two issues of Cinefantastique that had feature articles that covered the pilot and then the early parts of the series. If any of you haven't read these articles then you should track them down, there worth it.

Comment

• Now you all have had some time to dive in to the books. I am still thinking of buying this one, but it is so horribly high priced I wonder, is it anyway near worth it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
        Now you all have had some time to dive in to the books. I am still thinking of buying this one, but it is so horribly high priced I wonder, is it anyway near worth it?
        Personally, I know it would just sit on a shelf, and I'd never read it. I'd rather just watch the show and use Lurker's Guide. But, it's personal. The books look very nice, and definitely something for the collector.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• I hear that B5Books are coming out with two new publications – possibly in time for the 25th anniversary – a making of B5 and an art of B5 type thing. Seems there will even be direct contributions from at least some the actual artists this time round – which can only be a good thing. I know a few folk who have the B5@20 book and while it’s visually really nice it was a bit on the thin side with regard to information – outside of describing what the images were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple F View Post
            I hear that B5Books are coming out with two new publications: possibly in time for the 25th anniversary – a making of B5 and an art of B5 type thing. Seems there will even be direct contributions from at least some the actual artists this time round – which can only be a good thing. I know a few folk who have the B5@20 book and while it’s visually really nice it was a bit on the thin side with regard to information – outside of describing what the images were.
            If anyone should proof read / consult on the art book, it should be YOU.

Comment

• That sounds intriguing Triple F, where have you heard that?

B5-20 is a nice book over all, but I was disappointed in the quality of some of the pictures. They probably was scanned from photos because no others were available, so it is understandable but perhaps not pleasing to the eye.
              Last edited by Satai with Punsch; 11-01-2018, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satai with Punsch
                That sounds intriguing Triple F, where have you heard that?
                Still in contact with some of the contributors to B5Scrolls and a couple mentioned it, as they'd been approached for input to them. Though a few surprising ones hadn’t . . . at least they weren’t the last time we spoke.

Originally posted by Ubik
                If anyone should proof read / consult on the art book, it should be YOU.
                Cheers. But my knowledge is very limited, and the various horses are the best ones for that sort of thing. Besides, you’d require another proof reader to read over anything I might add – otherwise the books would need a certificate 18 stamped on the front of them. : )

RE the quality of the images on the B5@20. I know at least a few of the sketches came from photocopies sent to them, rather than being directly lifted from the original artwork (I think - though not certain - that a couple of the smaller ones were scans of a scan). Those extra steps might help explain any variable quality issues in some of them.
                Last edited by Triple F; 11-01-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Triple F;189100]Still in contact with some of the contributors to B5Scrolls and a couple mentioned it, as they'd been approached for input to them. Though a few surprising ones hadn't . . . at least they weren’t the last time we spoke.

Cheers. But my knowledge is very limited, and the various horses are the best ones for that sort of thing. Besides, you’d require another proof reader to read over anything I might add – otherwise the books would need a certificate 18 stamped on the front of them. : )

Would be a nice move to dedicate the visual FX book to Ron Thornton! He was so pivotal to the show.
                  Last edited by Ubik; 11-01-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I hear that B5Books are coming out with two new publications – possibly in time for the 25th anniversary – a making of B5 and an art of B5 type thing. Seems there will even be direct contributions from at least some the actual artists this time round – which can only be a good thing. I know a few folk who have the B5@20 book and while it’s visually really nice it was a bit on the thin side with regard to information – outside of describing what the images were.
                    Premature to make any assumptions about anything that might come out or when, I think. Which is one reason why B5 Books hasn't ever put out a publishing schedule. Things often take longer than originally planned. The Encyclopedia was in the works for *years*, after all.
                    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                      Would be a nice move to dedicate the visual FX book to Ron Thornton! He was so pivotal to the show.
                      Yeah it would be.
                      Last edited by Triple F; 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I was just reading this FB post about the B5 encyclopaedia and while Jan has responded wrt some items that were hers, I was wondering if anyone else will be addressing some of the legal rights issues posed there.

Comment

• As I keep suggesting to Tom/Triple-F, if anybody has questions, I suggest they write to help@b5books.com and ask.

ETA: Assuming, for some reason they think it's any of their business.
                          Last edited by Jan; 03-26-2019, 07:20 AM.
                          "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by nottenst View Post
                            I was just reading this FB post about the B5 encyclopaedia and while Jan has responded wrt some items that were hers, I was wondering if anyone else will be addressing some of the legal rights issues posed there.
                            Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen - even though members of B5books are also members of this forum and have even taken part in this thread.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen - even though members of B5books are also members of this forum and have even taken part in this thread.
                              What part of "If you have a question and you think it's any of your business, ask them at help@b5books.com " is in any way unclear, Tom? Please explain because I really don't get it. Otherwise, I most firmly suggest you drop it.

Comment

• Two things, Jan. With all due respect, I wasn't talking to you. Secondly, I was responding to Nottenst's specific question. . . . It is a discussion board. Though thanks for the suggestions.
                                Last edited by Triple F; 04-30-2019, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X