No announcement yet.

How did you find B5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched part of it on TV in the 90s, but Greek TV was pretty unpredictable and I lost track at some point, but always wanted to go back. Finally watched the complete show as it came out on DVD.
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

The changing schedule was absolutely nuts! There was one season 1 episode I didn't see until reruns. I can't remember which one it was -- old age, you know. Trying to find it each week was like a tactical simulation game. You had to scout out each episode and set up the ole VCR to record.

BTW, just to add that air of antiquity to the discussion, the VCR I used was Betamax!
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
        The changing schedule was absolutely nuts! There was one season 1 episode I didn't see until reruns. I can't remember which one it was -- old age, you know.
        I was incredibly lucky that I had two PTEN affiliates in my market so it played twice - Wednesday and Saturday - pretty reliably. I only missed one, 'Comes the Inquisitor', which I didn't manage to see until the TNT reruns. Drove me crazy to read about how great it was!

Betamax, huh? Wow... Someplace I've still got one or two boxes of B5 VHS tapes, both home-recorded and store-boughten.

Okay...We're officially old.
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Saw only a single episode during the original run. I think it was "Ship of Tears" but not for certain; it was an episode with Bester for sure though since I remember Walter Koenig being the guest star. After that I did not watch the show until the DVDs years later (around '04/'05).

I bought the movie box without having seen anything else, watched The Gathering, then bought season one without watching the other movies or having previewed any episodes, and watched about every day I could squeeze it in. Loved the show so much, then I would buy the next box once I finished each season and also went right into Crusade.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            Betamax, huh? Wow... Someplace I've still got one or two boxes of B5 VHS tapes, both home-recorded and store-boughten.

Okay...We're officially old.
            My first proper run through of B5, when I finally got to see everything was on VHS, the whole series borrowed from a friend who had bought it as it was released. Crazy when you think how we consume TV / Media has evolved. It took up about 5 book shelves for the whole lot! Part of me is glad I never did buy the entire VHS run! Gawd, I even eBay'd my DVD boxes last year in favour of my digital copies.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

My colleague lent me season 1 after finding out I loved science fiction. (That was in 2005). The first evening I watched 4 or 5 episodes. Next day I went to the shop and ordered the whole series. At least once every other year I still watch the whole series. Always discovering new things. Still my favourite series.
              Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
              John Sheridan

Comment

The benefits of only having 4 channels in the UK, I had actually rented The Gathering previously but it hasn't made that big an impression on me and I had no idea that it was a pilot for a series. I missed Soul Hunter(that aired first here) but caught Midnight on The Firing Line and enjoyed it enough to stick with the series from there.

Main memory I have from the original showings was going on holiday with my family to Italy for a couple of weeks during the climax to season 2 and worrying whether channel 4 would change the showtimes and mess up my timed VHS recordings. Did make for a great 3 episode back to back watch though and indeed still consider that the most effecting part of the story and the point where it clearly surpassed Trek in my TV sci fi affections.
                Who are you?
                What do you want?
                What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

I saw JMS give a presentation about his upcoming pilot movie/TV show called Babylon 5 at a Star Trek convention in San Diego about a year or so before The Gathering first aired.

His presentation included a discussion of the concept, the characters, and how it would have a five year story arc. He showed concept art as well.

I was sold. 9-12 months before The Gathering ever aired.

And while the pilot was just OK, the first regular episode of the series (Midnight on the Firing Line) fully lived up to my expectations and B5 has been my all time favorite TV show ever since. I just finished my 5th time through the full series (I felt like I had to revisit it again after Jerry Doyle passed away), and I loved the show every bit as much as I did 20 years ago.

As far as B5 fans go, I like to think of myself as the Lorien of the group...
                  Last edited by B5Erik; 11-16-2016, 07:19 AM.
                  "We're sorry - we thought you were dead."

"I was. I'm better now."

Comment

I guess I can be counted as one of the first ones.

I was very active on the SciFi board on Compuserve and remember reading about it there and following JMS on the board. I wasn't on Geni (that I can recall, but I may have been). When The Gathering aired I both watched it live and recorded it as well as every episode on.

So as with Trek (TOS premiered on my 3rd birthday) I was a B5 fan from the get go.
                    All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

The way this thread is going, soon someone will post "I was in the shower with JMS when he came up with the concept!"
                      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                        The way this thread is going, soon someone will post "I was in the shower with JMS when he came up with the concept!"
                        Oh, myyyyy...!

Funny how memory works. I actually got my first computer and got active on the AOL boards in 1996 (though I'd watched the show from the first episode-missed the pilot) yet at the 'In the Beginning' panel at the Phoenix reunion con quite a few of the 'first ones' from Genie swore they remembered me from back then.

Jan
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          Oh, myyyyy...!

Funny how memory works. I actually got my first computer and got active on the AOL boards in 1996 (though I'd watched the show from the first episode-missed the pilot) yet at the 'In the Beginning' panel at the Phoenix reunion con quite a few of the 'first ones' from Genie swore they remembered me from back then.

Jan
                          However, despite your protestations you have always been here.

Comment

Yeah... I can't quite make that claim.

But I'll tell you what, he gave a great presentation at that Star Trek convention in San Diego the year before the pilot aired. Sold me on the show, and the quality of B5 kept me sold ever since.
                            "We're sorry - we thought you were dead."

"I was. I'm better now."

Comment

Working...
                            X