I love to hate Sleeping in Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    I... BSG, what a mess of a final episode that was.
    AGREED though I would argue "final episode" might need to be changed to every episode after season one. Okay that is a bit harsh, but that is when it all started spiraling downward until the giant mess of an explosion in the final episode IMO.
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      AGREED though I would argue "final episode" might need to be changed to every episode after season one. Okay that is a bit harsh, but that is when it all started spiraling downward until the giant mess of an explosion in the final episode IMO.
      I probably shouldn't comment since I quit watching after the second season due to the unrelenting grimness. IMO, it needed a dose of levity from time to time (same reason I gave up on Game of Thrones). That said, I did watch the final episode and rather enjoyed it.

I think Sleeping in Light was a special case in a lot of ways. It was more an epilogue than a series finale. That would more properly be 'Objects at Rest'. Not sure how it would work for other shows but it really served B5 well.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Honestly though it was pretty clear that ironically they did not "have a plan" with BSG well before the end so I wasn't THAT disappointed with the finale although the very end was pretty clumsy.

Game of Thrones has I'd say done a much better job of bringing a bit of levity however grim the story gets, a shame really BSG didn't do it much as I think some of the cast would have worked well(Olmos, James Callis, etc).
        Last edited by moreorless; 11-30-2016, 05:08 AM.
        Who are you?
        What do you want?
        What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

I forced myself all the way through BSG once. I'm glad I did it, but don't know that I could ever do it again. Six was hot, hot, hot, and I loved Baltar. But really, my fave part of the series was the opening credits - most beautiful and devastating opening credits - and that song - OMG!!!!!!! But other than that I pretty much hated every minute of that miserable show. The ending was really sad and happy at the same time.

Agree with everyone that SIL is extremely sad. I think I've only watched it twice. Was soooo depressed the first time I saw it, had to immediately start the whole show over again, and was depressed again the second time.

Reading fanfic was the only thing that helped after that. Distorted Mirror being the very best one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Jan, I agree with you on something for once - can't watch GOT,either, even though I adore Lena Headey and use her as my avatar. I quit somewhere around either season 3 or 4, canna remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            I think Sleeping in Light was a special case in a lot of ways. It was more an epilogue than a series finale. That would more properly be 'Objects at Rest'. Not sure how it would work for other shows but it really served B5 well.
            Good point.

Sleeping in Light IS an epilogue - it shows what happens 19 years after Objects at Rest, and the fact that it was written and shot at the end of Season 4 gives it a different feel than the rest of Season 5, too. (And then you've got Claudia on the show in a pretty important part, and no Lochley, making it stand out from the rest of Season 5 for that reason as well.)

But even with all that it's the perfect final episode. And the perfect tear-jerking, emotion manipulating final episode, to boot! JMS knew what he was doing, and he did it well.

My daughter wanted to skip the episode the 2nd time through because it's such a downer, but it's so well written that she didn't push it.

To me, the final 3 or 4 episodes of B5 before Sleeping in Light are downers, too. Good episodes, but downers - it's all about winding down the B5 story arcs for most of the characters. They're all leaving, and it's just so sad to see them move on and drift apart. But that's life - that's what happens wherever you work, for the most part. Eventually most people move on (even if it's for different positions within the same company or organization), no matter how much they like the people they work with. Maybe that's why that last group of episodes gets to me a little more now than it did when B5 first aired.

But Sleeping in Light is a fairly different thing. It's final, and more meaningful & poignant.
            "We're sorry - we thought you were dead."

"I was. I'm better now."

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
              Oh and Jan, I agree with you on something for once - can't watch GOT,either, even though I adore Lena Headey and use her as my avatar. I quit somewhere around either season 3 or 4, canna remember.
              You might want to watch what follows then as she does feature quite a bit, the last season did also turn a bit of a corner in terms of being rather less depressing.

Honestly in some ways I tend to view Sleeping in Light as a more effective closer to season 4 where as Deconstruction of Falling Stars works a bit better with season 5. SiL for me is really mostly about Sheridan, Delenn and Ivanova, obviously the latter didn't feature in season 5 but I think also the former two become less of a prime focus in that season and as I whole I think it gives more of a sense of history carrying on after the massive events of season 4 which I think plays nicely into DoFS.
              Last edited by moreorless; 12-13-2016, 10:27 PM.
              Who are you?
              What do you want?
              What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                When Sheridan leaves in the morning and touches Delenn's shoulder, i lose it, the closeup on Delenn's eyes, Sheridan leaving and not turning back with her grasping the air.
                Yeah, that scene kills me every time. They are barely under control, acting formal with each other. And then he touches her shoulder, and everything is released. Including my tears.

And when he pauses at the end of the hall, and then keeps walking as she reaches toward him -- he knew that he couldn't turn around because they would embrace all over again and he would never leave. That scene; so painful, and so perfect.

Comment

Working...
                X