No announcement yet.

New quote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote 'Oh, and for the first time in five years, there is an office somewhere in England with the words Babylon 5 on the door....'

maybe he is just over here in England to get the ball rolling.

Or to get a team together to make TMOS.

either way - oh happy day....
    Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Let the good times roll.
      John Brittain
      2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
        Wasn't latest Harry Potter movie (which is also WB) shot in Leavesdone Studios?
        A few months back I strongly suggested Leavesden or Elstree as the location (although I might have done so on B5TV.com - it's all the same people anyway).

One of the main reasons for this was that WB has an active presence there due to the Harry Potter series. It occurred to me that WB and the pennywise JMS might attempt to somehow work around Harry Potter's shooting schedule, or shoot the film on an accelerated schedule between the next two Potter features.
        I'm thinking WB probably has a multi-picture deal and is leasing those mammoth soundstages even if they sit idle.

The only major inconvenience would be to strike any existing sets and get them put back after they're done (don't was to piss off Columbus at this point )

The only question I have is: Has "Goblet of Fire" started filming yet?
        Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Sounds like much or all of the filming may take place in England, however I highly doubt that the FX work will be done there. British FX companies do some TV work but not much of any Movie work. If B5 is going to compete with the glut of FX driven movies out there, it's vital that it has only the best FX.

Anyway this news bit gives me a sigh of relief.

TWT

Comment

The digital blue screen used to film "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" is in Elstree. Babylon 5 used a lot of green screen work. It is far from impossible that lots of mixed live action and CGI work is needed for B5:TMoS. The Elstree widescreen blue screen would be ideal for such work.
            Andrew Swallow

Comment

'Oh, and for the first time in five years, there is an office somewhere in England with the words Babylon 5 on the door....'

OK, I read this again and had a thought. (Yes it really does happen ) It could be read in one of two ways. Either "in England" is additional information and the emphasis is on an office door with B5, or it could be read with "in England" being integral to the meaning so that there was a B5 office in England in the past, and now it has opened again. Was any part of B5 production handled out of England during the TV run?

Lest anyone feel the need to point it out, yes, I realize this is an obsessive level of analysis on 24 words.
              "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Quality blue screen work can be done anywhere quite easily. I'm sure there are other reasons for the choice of England.

TWT

Comment

And the look of "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" is so blurry that it could have been done with crude blue screen and no one could tell the difference.

TWT

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed

The only question I have is: Has "Goblet of Fire" started filming yet?
                    Filming started in May-June this year. I quess they have finished or are finishing in a moment.
                    Last edited by Sigma; 10-07-2004, 12:39 PM.

Comment

As for studio time, no one ever said the high cost of shooting in the UK has or had anything to do with the cost of renting the studio. It has to do with the higher cost of doing business in general and the union issues that come into play when shooting in England which can drive up production costs.

Now...perhaps, due to Potter, WB has worked some deal. Perhaps portions are to be filmed in the UK, such as the green screen work, while other portions are shot elsewhere. No one knows for sure.

Films are made in multiple areas of the world, to assume that all of TMoS will be shot in the UK is just that...an assumption.

Hell, even parts of SW EPIII have been shot in the UK...it's not like no one is shooting there any longer.

As for FX being done there...I remind you that FX workshops can be moved and set down almost anywhere so they are nearer to the studio.

Also, while some of the UK houses have done mostly TV, their work has garnered acclaim, such as some of the CG done in the two Stargate series....which is some of the best CG on TV today. If you watch the commentaries on the SG dvd's you will hear them saying repeatedly how the UK and other FX people come and go to work on major SF films (even SW).

In short, don't sell the UK FX houses and artists short.

To answer you workercaste, no, none of the series was done in the UK, so this is the first time a UK B5 office is opened. What JMS meant there is that for the first time in 5 years, there is a door with the name Babylon 5 on it...period...anywhere.

The idea that WB may have booked a large window in one of the British studios and can therefore save a buck by shooting another film while one is in downtime is a valid point...and could well be the explanation for why the new offices are in the UK.

I remind again, however, that JMS has also clearly indicated that Australia should be on the lookout for him as well...suggesting that at least some portion of the film could well be shot there.

Also, I remind all that JMS recently completed what he referred to as a whirlwind tour around the world...presumably due to TMoS...probably in talks with FX houses and studio spaces, etc.

The bottom line here is that the offices are open....which is the first big move to all out pre-production and production.

CE
                      Anthony Flessas
                      Writer/Producer/Director,
                      SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
                        Filming started in May-June this year. I quess they have finished or are finishing in a moment.
                        It is my understanding the GoF is now in post-production.
                        Anthony Flessas
                        Writer/Producer/Director,
                        SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

lets face it - whatever this really means...

This is really good news.
                          Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Great news.....

Originally posted by circularREASON
                            lets face it - whatever this really means...

This is really good news.
                            As usual JMS gives us what he can, when he can. Shame on you Doomsayers!! Whilst it is not much...it is a start. From now we can really be sure that it is just a matter of time. THE CLOCK IS TICKING!

Last night I was watching B5 with my father-in-law (season 1), I am watching season 2 with my mother and sister, I met Julie Caitlin Brown (again - was it really in '97 the last time around?)last Saturday at Collectormania 6 in Milton Keynes. Yes things B5ish are really looking up.
                            Last edited by DGTWoodward; 10-07-2004, 02:02 PM.
                            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

And, they could have chosen it just because the Visual work on the Potter movies was gorgeous.
                              Even people who didn't care much for the Potter Stories could sit in a theater and enjoy the quality of the photography.

I can see JMS pushing to get that sort of talent involved in the movie.

Of course, the LOTR photography was also beautiful, but credit for much of that has to go to the fantastic natural landscape they had to work with.

Still, it does place a common Theme to what JMS may have been looking at when he traveled to the two places.
                              The Visual quality he is looking for...

Comment

wooooppppeeeeeee!!!!!

hi guys! its been a while....!

(well ive been lurking on the perimeter somewhat )

im bouncing (subtley) on my seat at work!!!
                                so cool and yet im no longer in the UK - MIFF MIFF!!

As to the aurtrailia thing - i was wondering whether the fx might be shot there, as its pretty cheap right? (Guessing) also so many talented peeps who worked on farscape and the studios are there? (of course there are talented people everywhere...)

anyways - im happy. hope you're all good.
                                much B5 loving
                                LyteeeerGH
                                Last edited by LytaaaarGh; 10-07-2004, 08:12 PM.
                                One up for the angry Teep

Comment

Working...
                                X