No announcement yet.

Jason Ironheart and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if jms has ever officially said that the Humans were moving from Earth to the Vorlon homeworld, but I believe the general conjecture that they're doing so is derived from Lyta's having said under Vorlon influence that the Vorlon homeworld was off limits for a million years and that the leaving of Earth happens a million years from now.

Comment

I thought JMS said they were going to the Vorlon Homeworld on the S4 commentary.
      Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

I can't remember that commentary (my brain, go figure), so maybe he did say it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh
          I'm up with the ark theory. The Transcended one seemed to be pulling his records via some sort of time travel device. So maybe the Earth is already empty by the time he starts his probing.
          I guess the problem I have with this theory is: why would they destroy an entire solar system to wreck one empty planet?

Remember that JMS said that SOL was deliberately destroyed. He didn't say it was destroyed by the humans. If it had been destroyed by the humans, there would be no reason not to say so. If destroyed by "others," though, here are story possibilities. And the man is a writer, after all.

I think it likelier that this is a hint of a far-off idea, not anything so mundane as the humans flushing the toilet on their way out of the stall.
          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

I still don't see why the human down on Earth would be so concerned with making it to New Earth in time to celebrate if someone else was attacking Humans by blowing up the sun.

Comment

<<He didn't say it was destroyed by the humans.>>

Well, in the post from JMS that I posted earlier in this thread, he suggested that Earth was destroyed (and the humans got out of the way) to avoid the mistakes of the Shadow/Vorlon conflict.

EDIT: I just read that again...maybe JMS meant that the humans were leaving and getting out of the way while not avenging the possible hostile destruction of Sol, thereby avoiding a huge eons-long conflict like the Shadows/Vorlons?
              Last edited by Dr Maturin; 11-10-2004, 10:37 PM.
              Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I was just wondering, what if this vorlon like creature in DoFS wasn't going to the vorlon home world, but instead going from there to the earth we know. The Rangers rebuild earth after the great burn, this might be what they refer to when talking about new earth...(also in DoFS). It would make sense that the star in the vorlons system would go nova. Another thing when a star go nova (read NOT super nova) the speeds of the expelled gasses are only thousand km/sec something that in the case of the sun would give us about 1 days to get away. If someone wanted to destroy this earth by blowing up the sun the energy required in getting it to go super nova would probably be used better if they just blew up earth.
                Talking about needing hightech to transend I think you might be a bit of track, remember the film River of Souls? they had evolved through mental advancement, not hightech. Nothing in the film hinted towards looting to the planets tech after the soulhunters had captured the entire planets population in the orb.
                Never trust a Vorlon, trust a Shadow to be a sneaky critter

Comment

"Talking about needing hightech to transend I think you might be a bit of track, remember the film River of Souls? they had evolved through mental advancement, not hightech." Originally posted by Drakh.

Hi Drakh, We don't really know how the Ralgens were going to do the transcendence thing. We do know that the whole population was going to do it because the soulhunters sensed the 'death' of a whole world. Looking at their cities they seemed to have been technologicaly very advanced. If it was just application of the grey cells (assuming they are grey in Ralgens) it seems unlikey that they would all make it at once.
                  I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

Welcome, Drakh! (Boy, should a human really be saying that? ) New Earth being the reconstructed Earth is an interesting way to look at things, but I think we have to assume it was the Earth's sun, since the dialog refers specifically to to Sol going nova.
                    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by vacantlook
                      I still don't see why the human down on Earth would be so concerned with making it to New Earth in time to celebrate if someone else was attacking Humans by blowing up the sun.
                      Could be that the meddling that caused our sun to go nova was done by some enemy a long while ago and the celebration was because of the defeat of that enemy.

Btw, what "great burn" are you people referring to? I know I've heard it, but can't quite place my finger on it...

Comment

Btw, what "great burn" are you people referring to? I know I've heard it, but can't quite place my finger on it...
                        The Great Burn was the destruction caused in the Earth Civil War of the future shown in Deconstruction when the guy was working with the holograms of Sheridan, Franklin, Delenn, and Garibaldi. The destruction of that Great Burn is what set back civilization on Earth that the Rangers were secretly inserted in places within Earth civilization to help rebuild it as shown with the monks in the next historical record after the one documenting the Great Burn's beginning.

Comment

A bit of background on JMS use of the Monks in Deconstruction

Interesting aside...for the last 6-8 months, I've been doing a fair amount of research into medieval England, especially the medieval church, for a play I'm writing (which may become a novel if I'm not careful). Dumped several hundred dollars on a massive order from Amazon.com back a few months ago to fill out what I needed. That was what tangentially led me into the post-Burn sequence in "Deconstruction." My brain has been full of monks for the last 8 months or so, and knowing the role they played in maintaining secular knowledge from about 500 AD and for some time thereafter, that seemed the perfect route to go that would also resonate with the look of the Rangers and the religious caste Minbari and the whole feel we were setting up.

It was only when I was about halfway into the act that I thought, "Oh, crud, this is the same area Canticle explored."
                          And for several days I set it aside and strongly considered dropping it, or changing the venue (at one point considered setting it in the ruins of a university, but I couldn't make that work realistically ... who'd be supporting a university in the ruins of a major nuclear war?
                          Who'd have the *resources* I needed?
                          The church, or what would at least LOOK like the church.
                          My sense of backstory here is that the Anla-shok moved in and started little "abbeys" all over the place, using the church as cover, but rarely actually a part of it, which was why they had not gotten their recognition, and would never get it. Rome probably didn't even know about them, or knew them only distantly.)

Anyway... at the end of the day, I decided to leave it as it was, since I'd gotten there on an independent road, we'd already had a number of monks on B5, and there's been a LOT of theocratic science fiction written beyond Canticle...Gather Darkness, aspects of Foundation, others.
                          jms
                          For those who don't recognize JMS reference to "Canticle", look for a book titled A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Review of "Canticle"

Comment

A classic SF book that examines theological issues (but not a theocratic society) is A Case of Conscience by James Blish.

I immediately thought the monks in DoFS was a homage to Canticle, until I read that note (in the Lurker's Guide methinks). When that episode aired I had not yet read it (other than a short story which was the basis for the novel), but I promptly corrected that situation.
                            Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                            James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Working...
                            X