• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpooRancher
    replied
    Jordan?

Originally posted by thebaron
    Of course we could get Robert Jordan to write it, but then the series would never end.
    And each book would be so incredibly detailed that we would have a lot of trouble determining what is a plot element and what is throwaway knowledge, like the page and a half he did in Crossroads of Twilight remarking on the intricacy of a hemline!

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    At this point I'll take what I can get!

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    As much as I love B5, as a matter of principle I prefer original Science Fiction, unrelated to any media franchise.
    I prefer Science Fiction that's related to a media franchise because if I've seen actors playing the roles, I can better visualize the story in the books and "hear" the characters say their lines, and better enjoy the novel.

I maintain that it can be done in fewer books.
    That may be true. It depends on how much story JMS has to tell.

I suspect some of you are conceptualizing such Crusade development as a transfer from screen to novel, I don't think it works that way.
    We can always hope.

The way I see it, without having to create episodes and b-stories for TV, the Crusade saga could be told in one book per year.
    Then hopefully they're Technomage trilogy sized books (~350 pgs., small print), not Dell #5 or #8 sized books (212~250 pages, large print).

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by CRONAN
    Hey, if we get really lucky, the B5 movie might spawn a trilogy. And theres always the infantile chance it might spawn into an entire franchise of movies, ala james bond.
    infinitesimal?

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    Tim-
    However I'm still hoping for this wild dream, that TMoS (and its story, which may center on Crusade) serves as a relaunch for Crusade. It is a crazy thought. Isn't it?
    I don't think it's crazy at all, I have the EXACT same hope! Although having ME as your chief support may be a little self-defeating. haha!

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    As much as I love B5, as a matter of principle I prefer original Science Fiction, unrelated to any media franchise.
    As much as I'd like to see Crusade resolved in novels (if TV is definitely impossible) as much as 20 books would be too much for me.
    I mantain that it can be done in fewer books.
    I suspect some of you are conceptualizing such Crusade development as a transfer from screen to novel, I don't think it works that way.
    Consider if you will, a novelization of B5, what is the real story? How many B-stories could be dropped without damage to the story. I don't mean those b-stories that contributed to charcater development, I mean things like the muta-do.
    Things like "Visitors from down the street," as fun as they were, would break the continuity within a novel.
    The way I see it, without having to create episodes and b-stories for TV, the Crusade saga could be told in one book per year.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    20 books?
    Sorry, too much.
    Let's face it: the B5 fan base is not that huge.
    And I am under the impression that B5 fans are more discriminating and won't buy every tie-in book just because it has the B5 logo on the cover, as Trekkies and SW fans are supposed to do.
    Not if they'd continued the lack of quality demonstrated by DELL books 1 thru 6 and 8, that's true. However, the last three trilogies (DEL REY) have been VERY good. If the 20 novels were of the same quality of the last three trilogies, the B5 fans (including myself) will buy 'em.

I'd love to see a series of books resolving the Crusade storyline, but I'd feel exploited if it took more than six-ten books to do it.
    Maybe 3 trilogies, each again with one author, for a measure of continuity, that I'd find acceptable.
    I wouldn't feel exploited. I'd be overjoyed at being able to get the story in a level of detail that would be tough to put on the screen. Also, it's be better if it was all written by one author, in this case Jeanne Cavelos (with everything double-checked by JMS and Fiona Avery).

KoshN

Leave a comment:

• Dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by AislingGrey
    Dipper, it's polite to put spoiler space - and spoiler warnings! - in when you're posting stuff like that that isn't common knowledge or filmed yet.

Amy

First the topic should discourage those who are afraid of spoilers and second those were more speculations and questions and as KoshN pointed out, I was way off.

But if anyone was offended, apologies.

-------------

IMO three books would be too tight a space to fill in all that is Crusade. Three triologies would be good, but even then they should begin from the beginning, not take it up from where the TV-show left off.

If TMOS becomes a reality, it could launch a whole new future for B5 and thus give Crusade a chance to prove itself.

-Dip

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    B5 vs. Alien ???

Leave a comment:

• CRONAN
    replied
    Hey, if we get really lucky, the B5 movie might spawn a trilogy. And theres always the infantile chance it might spawn into an entire franchise of movies, ala james bond.

Leave a comment:

• Tim_Fleming
    replied
    20 books?
    Sorry, too much.
    And I am under the impression that B5 fans are more discriminating and won't buy every tie-in book just because it has the B5 logo on the cover, as Trekkies and SW fans are supposed to do.
    I would have agreed with you a year ago. Back then I thought the B5 fan base was to small to support a theatrical movie. Its been looking like I was wrong for a few months now. So, I imagine a series of novels that could deal with the Crusade arc is not beyond the realm of possibility. However I'm still hoping for this wild dream, that TMoS (and its story, which may center on Crusade) serves as a relaunch for Crusade. It is a crazy thought. Isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Dipper, it's polite to put spoiler space - and spoiler warnings! - in when you're posting stuff like that that isn't common knowledge or filmed yet.

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    I was hoping they'd do a SW:NJO style twenty book arc from a few different authors (with outlines from JMS, of course) that chronicled the Crusade storyline. In some ways, it may have been better than an actual TV show, more fleshed out.
    20 books?
    Sorry, too much.

I'd love to see a series of books resolving the Crusade storyline, but I'd feel exploited if it took more than six-ten books to do it.
    Maybe 3 trilogies, each again with one author, for a measure of continuity, that I'd find acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    I was hoping they'd do a SW:NJO style twenty book arc from a few different authors (with outlines from JMS, of course) that chronicled the Crusade storyline. In some ways, it may have been better than an actual TV show, more fleshed out.
    I think 20 would be a bit of overkill. If we just took the main plot I figure that it could be done in 3 books 5 at the maximum.

If I had my druthers, I would like to see Ms. Cavelos get the nod to write the books (however many their may be).

Of course we could get Robert Jordan to write it, but then the series would never end.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    I agree, but how many years would that take?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X