X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonas
    Confirmed User
    • Aug 2007

I enjoy art that is the vision of one person, and I think it's perfectly doable to write, direct and produce - more than enough people have done it. So I'd be quite happy to see a JMS-directed B5 film.

However, for Hollywood reasons, I think it's more likely they'd try to find a name director. Picking one who is really appropriate is quite the challenge.
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

• Dan Dassow
      Confirmed User
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      You are both leaving out a HUGE piece of the the pie - writing, directing, and PRODUCING. That is what JMS would be doing if he directed a Babylon 5 feature. That triple threat spells lots of distractions for one person. He should write/produce and turn the directing over to someone else.
      Originally posted by Jan View Post
      The problem I see with JMS not producing is that all too many directors take the movie away from what it's meant to be. (Should we even go into Forster throwing out the script for WWZ as an example?) I think it would be imperative for the director to buy into JMS' vision rather than be focused on imprinting his own.

Jan
      Originally posted by Jonas View Post
      I enjoy art that is the vision of one person, and I think it's perfectly doable to write, direct and produce - more than enough people have done it. So I'd be quite happy to see a JMS-directed B5 film.

However, for Hollywood reasons, I think it's more likely they'd try to find a name director. Picking one who is really appropriate is quite the challenge.
      Citizen Kane is a perfect example of a great film written, produced, directed and acted in by one person, Orson Wells. Joe has demonstrated that he is capable of writing, producing and directing a Babylon 5 episode, Sleeping in Light, and the Lost Tales. He has also demonstrated that he can co-write and co-produce Sense8.

Producing a film shares many of the same kind of challenges of designing a product, such as an aircraft. When a product is relatively simple, the vision of a single competent designer generally produces a better product. As a product becomes more complex, the chief designer must delegate increasingly more tasks to other team members. A single passenger glider will likely be better if designed and built by the same person. In contrast, an Airbus 380 or Boeing 787 is way too complex for one person to have complete knowledge of all design aspects and require a large team to produce. With such complex projects, some of the clarity of vision is lost in the design by necessity for the project to come to fruition.

Even though Joe is perfectly capable of taking on the three roles of writer, producer and director, he may still wish to choose a popular competent director who shares his vision. Joe has worked with a number of talented directors, and probably already has in mind someone who would not tamper with his vision.

Although it would be extremely unlikely, Clint Eastwood has demonstrated on Changeling and other films that he does not alter the script unless it is absolutely necessary. The Wachowski's are a possible choice for directors.

Regardless, I believe Joe will make a sound decision on how best to proceed with a Babylon 5 film, a decision that accounts for his availability, his desire to direct the film, clarity of vision and promotion.

Comment

• Looney
        Confirmed User
        • Dec 2010

I am not saying JMS can't do all three. I am saying we already know he is writing and producing so why not turn over directing to someone else?

I am saying, and others seem to agree, that financial backers are more likely to come on board if they don't think JMS is trying to do it all himself, especially if he can lure a name Director. We all know he can do it himself, the question is should that be his mindset? I doubt it is, if anything for the reason I stated above. JMS is known for writing and producing. Yes he has successfully directed, but he's never been successfully hired just to direct a feature film. If I have money to invest and I don't know anything about JMS, I question his choice to take on all three roles.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Ubik
          Vorlon Visitor
          • Sep 2012

Well, either way, I'm sure JMS will opt for what is best for the film. Fingers crossed for some news at some point this year.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Jan
            • Oct 2003

Well this isn't exactly news but it's intriguing.

In a conversation about what series a couple of fans wanted for a mini-series or event, B5 was brought up. Somebody brought up the B5 movie.

Nick Coviello ‏@Get2thechopper 11h11 hours ago
            @LanceCoviello @straczynski How would a #Babylon5 movie work when condensed from five seasons to a handful of films? #eventseries #reboot
            Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski
            ‏@straczynski 8h8 hours ago
            @Get2thechopper @LanceCoviello It wouldn't, nor was/is that the intent.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Looney
              Confirmed User
              • Dec 2010

"was/is" is a very interesting turn of phrase. Talk about keeping people off balance.

Comment

• Ubik
                Vorlon Visitor
                • Sep 2012

"was/is" is a very interesting turn of phrase. Talk about keeping people off balance.
                Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Makes it sound like it isn't so certain anymore. Perhaps we are reading WAAAY too much into it. (Probably!)
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Jan
                  • Oct 2003

Found the interview I referred to a bit upthread. Though it's got a January date, it's for a publication so probably actually came out 2-3 months ago.

One of the most popular science fiction writers in Hollywood, Straczynski is best known as the creator of the TV show Babylon 5, for which he wrote almost a hundred scripts, and he also has countless other writing credits for various TV shows, comic books, feature films, cartoons, books, and articles. Together with the Wachowskis, he co-created the Netflix original series Sense8, which we reviewed in episode 157 and which was just renewed for a second season.

My plan is, this year, to finish up the script for a B5 reboot, and then hopefully get funding for it to shoot it next year.
                  Note that this was definitely before the announcement that JMS would be showrunning Red Mars.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Delenn_of_Mir
                    Dim the Lights!
                    • Mar 2010

So it's not happening then?

*sighs* I wish he wouldn't say he was going to do B5 things until after he had done them then I wouldn't have to decide which emotion to give in to, relief or despair?

Maybe despairelief! "giggles"

Be positive, Delenn! Maybe the universe saw it was going to turn out really badly, and we should just trust the universe to give us the right things at the right time, in the right format.
                    Last edited by Delenn_of_Mir; 03-21-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Looney
                      Confirmed User
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
                      I wouldn't say that at all. I think it isn't going to happen as soon as we want. I just keep telling myself that the more he is doing high profile projects that are not B5 related the more clout he is going to have when he wants to do a B5 project the right way.

Comment

• Delenn_of_Mir
                        Dim the Lights!
                        • Mar 2010

I wouldn't say that at all. I think it isn't going to happen as soon as we want. I just keep telling myself that the more he is doing high profile projects that are not B5 related the more clout he is going to have when he wants to do a B5 project the right way.

Well that could be true, too.

I wish JMS and I lived in the same apartment and I could trap him in the elevator and make him tell me what's going on with it. "giggles muchly"

Comment

• Jan
                          • Oct 2003

*sighs* I wish he wouldn't say he was going to do B5 things until after he had done them then I wouldn't have to decide which emotion to give in to, relief or despair?

Maybe despairelief! "giggles"

Be positive, Delenn! Maybe the universe saw it was going to turn out really badly, and we should just trust the universe to give us the right things at the right time, in the right format.
                          Umm...huh? What are you talking about? I'm reasonably sure you're reading something that I can't see?

Jan

Comment

• Delenn_of_Mir
                            Dim the Lights!
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            Umm...huh? What are you talking about? I'm reasonably sure you're reading something that I can't see?

Jan

"giggles" That's true with me and most things.

My interpretation was the last time Joe had mentioned the movie/script he was already less sure about doing it, and then you said that lackluster announcement came before he found out he was going to be showrunner for Red Mars.

So in my head that meant he definitely won't have time for it, since he's got even more new work that he didn't know about before.

I was already thinking in my head. It's March 2016, no news, so it's prolly not happening, when I read your post. I'm just very pessimistic about things I'm excited for. And not patient. At All. (shakes head impatiently)

Comment

• phazedout
                              Confirmed User
                              • Aug 2005

To re iterate what Jan says....
                              JMS works on multiple projexts, all the time, he's a machine. Plus I'm sure there'll be lots of flights between where he lives and where the show is filming (isn't all american Sci Fi shot in Canada thse days). Nice 3 hour flight, plenty of writing time.

As we say in discworld fandom, you need to have the P word
                              "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

• Jan
                                • Oct 2003

My interpretation was the last time Joe had mentioned the movie/script he was already less sure about doing it, and then you said that lackluster announcement came before he found out he was going to be showrunner for Red Mars.
                                I'm feeling stupid still. What mention was 'less sure about doing it'? The last mention that we had was that he planned to finish (not 'write', not 'begin', *finish*) the script in 2015 - which was exactly what he'd said from the very beginning. Where's the lackluster?

I understand the impatient part - I share that! But he's beer *awfully* quiet the past few months. That often is a precursor to big news. Whether it's B5 or not, that's fine with me!

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X