X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Looney View Post
    I believe he worked on a B5 script in 2015, but how great could it be if he tried squeeze it in between all of his "announced" projects and overdue projects? I don't mind waiting for updates, I just wish we'd stop getting other updates that make it sound like he's not had time to sit down and really focus on what he wants to do with B5. Yes it is great that he is making money and adding to his "street-cred", but I'm sure we all feel that hearing how busy he is also like hearing "I'll get to B5 later." and none of us are getting any younger.
    Seriously? I mean...really??? You can actually say this about the guy who wrote 22 hour-long scripts in about 10 days each for three seasons of B5?? Maybe George RR Martin (just to pick a name out of the air...) would have trouble but not JMS.

JMS has described his writing method many times. He'll be chugging along on one script, reach a point where he needs to figure something out so he turns his attention to a different project while the back of his mind works on the first project and then he goes back to it when the first problem is solved.

Here's the post I remember:
    JMSNews is an archive of messages posted by J. Michael Straczynski (JMS)

Saying "...we all feel that hearing how busy he is also like hearing "I'll get to B5 later."" is you projecting something that there's no basis for.

(I know he writes all of the time, but I want to say he took a month or two writing a new B5 because I want him to have REALLY focused. )
    Even though that's nothing like his usual writing method at all. Why would you want him to change a method that works? Projecting again.

Face it, with the amount of time he spend on airplanes alone last year he probably could have written 5 B5 movies.

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Looney
      Confirmed User
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Even though that's nothing like his usual writing method at all. Why would you want him to change a method that works? Projecting again.
      I want him to break form and REALLY focus. I don't want a B5 feature script to have been squeezed into his schedule. That is what I meant by saying B5 is the biggest thing he has ever done. If he is going to successfully breathe life back into it then it needs to be more than just another writing project. We all know some of his material is more "pay the bills" than "labor of love." Now I know that JMS puts B5 ahead of the "pay the bills" stuff in his heart. I just want him to be able to take time for the "labor of love."

Face it, with the amount of time he spend on airplanes alone last year he probably could have written 5 B5 movies.

Jan
      I LOVE this point. If he can write on planes and tune out everyone around him I think that is a really great setting where he could have focused on B5. And we know he had LOTS of time on planes last year.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Jan
        • Oct 2003

I want him to break form and REALLY focus.
        If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it! It ain't broke!

Part of the whole point of Studio JMS is that 'if there are going to be stupid notes, they'll be MY stupid notes!' (paraphrased) This time he's not going to need to worry about TNT or Sci-Fi or anybody else trying to squeeze younger, sexier whateverer stuff in. I'm looking forward to that.

And it'll be whatever story he wants to tell and I'm betting it won't be any of those 15 million things people have said they want.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Ubik
          Vorlon Visitor
          • Sep 2012

I want him to break form and REALLY focus. I don't want a B5 feature script to have been squeezed into his schedule. That is what I meant by saying B5 is the biggest thing he has ever done. If he is going to successfully breathe life back into it then it needs to be more than just another writing project. We all know some of his material is more "pay the bills" than "labor of love." Now I know that JMS puts B5 ahead of the "pay the bills" stuff in his heart. I just want him to be able to take time for the "labor of love."
          Same here. I want it to be something really special, and I want it to be super focused and written over time. In some ways I won't mind delays, just as long as it's done right. B5 is no Ninja Assassin!

Another big point is getting a quality director on board who can bring something special to the table, and realise JMS vision, and add something unique to it.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Looney
            Confirmed User
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
            Another big point is getting a quality director on board who can bring something special to the table, and realise JMS vision, and add something unique to it.
            With the added bonus that they know and love the original series = PERFECTION!

Comment

• Ubik
              Vorlon Visitor
              • Sep 2012

With the added bonus that they know and love the original series = PERFECTION!
              In some ways I'd prefer someone who wasn't too precious about the original series. This new B5 should be all about the NEW.

Comment

• Jan
                • Oct 2003

MY choice would be JMS hisownself or Mike Vejar though he doesn't look to be doing much directing anymore.

Jan

Comment

• Looney
                  Confirmed User
                  • Dec 2010

In some ways I'd prefer someone who wasn't too precious about the original series. This new B5 should be all about the NEW.
                  I disagree. Plus I know I've heard discussions in the past that mentioned some big directors out there who are fans of the show. I think I heard once that the guy who directed a current Star something: the something Awakens was a fan of B5 , but I don't know if he should get behind the wheel of ANOTHER SciFi franchise.

MY choice would be JMS hisownself or Mike Vejar though he doesn't look to be doing much directing anymore.

Jan
                  I don't think JMS would be a good choice from a financing stand point because I don't think money people want to hear, "I am writing, producing, and directing it all myself." Other names involved can give it more of a solid feel. I think a veteran or someone fresh who backers are willing to put money behind would be the best choice. I like the idea of Vejar, but I'm not so sure big money investors would.

I am going to go WAY out in left field and say I would love to see Kathryn Bigelow. I know she tackles very serious topics these days, but I think this would be a great outside the box project for her. If she and JMS worked well together I think it would be great for B5.

(I would also like to see Del Torro, but as I've said before I think he and JMS might not work well together . . . or it could be a match made in heaven.)
                  Last edited by Looney; 01-08-2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Ubik
                    Vorlon Visitor
                    • Sep 2012

I could see someone like Christopher Nolan working well. However, this seems a bit ambitious!

I do think JMS, or anyone making a feature film, needs a foil, someone who can help iron out any kinks and bring different angles to that creative vision. Every creator has his / her weaknesses and it always helps to have someone on board who will call you on the things that don't quite work.

Just look at something like Empire Strikes Back, without people like Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and Gary Kurtz on board, it wouldn't have been half the film it was. It helps to have those other voices to improve things.

I think JMS working with the Ws on Sense8 is a great example of how this works well, with them editing each others scripts to balance things out and get the best possible result. Not that I'd really want the Ws involved with a B5 move, but the idea of cross pollination between creators who respect each other is such an advantage.

I absolutely would not want to see JMS write and direct.

Comment

• Jan
                      • Oct 2003

I absolutely would not want to see JMS write and direct.
                      You don't want him to write the movie????? Or is it that you don't want him to BOTH write and direct?

Jan

Comment

• Ubik
                        Vorlon Visitor
                        • Sep 2012

You don't want him to write the movie????? Or is it that you don't want him to BOTH write and direct?

Jan
                        I would not want him to take on BOTH writing and directing. I think it's a bit much for one person, and can lead to blind spots in terms of identifying your own weaknesses, or things that could be improved upon with small changes.

Of course I want JMS to pen the film! No one else should do that! But I think the writer and director should be separate parties, but with a good bond and understanding. I think JMS has mentioned before that he prefers to do the writing and let others direct.
                        Last edited by Ubik; 01-09-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Jan
                          • Oct 2003

Of course I want JMS to pen the film! No one else should do that! But I think the writer and director should be separate parties, but with a good bond and understanding. I think JMS has mentioned before that he prefers to do the writing and let others direct.
                          I know that he said that in the past but he does seem inclined to dip his toes in yet seems cognizant of his limitations. Witness that he was supposed to do some directing on Sense8 but bowed out.

Given 'Sleeping in Light' and the Lost Tales as the only examples, I'd love to see him go for it. I'd love to see a B5 that's all his vision. But I can understand if he didn't.

Jan

Comment

• Ubik
                            Vorlon Visitor
                            • Sep 2012

Given 'Sleeping in Light' and the Lost Tales as the only examples, I'd love to see him go for it. I'd love to see a B5 that's all his vision. But I can understand if he didn't.

Jan
                            I enjoyed 'Sleeping in Light' a great deal. The Lost Tales, not so much, but plenty of that was down to budget restrictions.

To have JMS both write and direct I think is too high risk for a feature film. It would really benefit from having an experienced director at the helm. It would also free JMS up to focus on ensuring the script is just right, but there's no reason he couldn't be closely involved every step of the way.

Comment

• Looney
                              Confirmed User
                              • Dec 2010

You are both leaving out a HUGE piece of the the pie - writing, directing, and PRODUCING. That is what JMS would be doing if he directed a Babylon 5 feature. That triple threat spells lots of distractions for one person. He should write/produce and turn the directing over to someone else.

Comment

• Jan
                                • Oct 2003

The problem I see with JMS not producing is that all too many directors take the movie away from what it's meant to be. (Should we even go into Forster throwing out the script for WWZ as an example?) I think it would be imperative for the director to buy into JMS' vision rather than be focused on imprinting his own.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X