Not to mention the destruction of Babylon 5
    Indeed, Brandon ....
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
      When I read Jan's report and saw the word "reboot" I got really, really nervous. I hope he creates new characters and doesn't try and recast Delenn or Londo or G'Kar 'cause that would probably be a disaster.

I have loved everything B5 though, so as long as it still feels like B5 universe I'm sure I'll still love it.

But please, create new characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      JMS has explicitly told the fans that re-casting G'Kar is out of the question.

I totally expect new characters, maybe cameos by the old actors, maybe in flashbacks or, if it is set near the destruction of B5, some old cast members playing older versions of the original characters.
      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
        JMS has explicitly told the fans that re-casting G'Kar is out of the question.

I totally expect new characters, maybe cameos by the old actors, maybe in flashbacks or, if it is set near the destruction of B5, some old cast members playing older versions of the original characters.

And you can't do Londo without G'Kar, so yay! I hope he sticks to that plan.

New characters would be amazeballs!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
          So, skewing the conversation in a slightly different direction. What do you folks think JMS hopes to achieve with a B5 feature?

A series of films? A means to re-kindle interest in a new TV show? A rebooted TV series based on the feature film?

Or perhaps simply to see B5 done with a big budget, modern FX and on the big screen? I wonder if there are stories he always had a burning desire to tell, but never got to.

--------

-babylonlurker, please re-post your message, looks like the forum ate it!
          I know that I have mentioned in a few threads that I personally would like to see a trilogy of films so that JMS can do what he does so well and that is creating different story arcs. Doing these story arcs over the course of three films would hopefully draw in people that have never even heard of Babylon 5. From there that could be a stable platform to hopefully launch a news television series. Of course I'm shooting for the stars here.

I am sure that he also has various stories already written when he was nearly given the green light to do a reboot of the series a few years ago.

Comment

For those complaining about a prequel somehow "not working" - remember that the original series talked a lot about B4 disappearing, and then the cast went back in time and made it happen.

As I recall - it went over pretty well.

Comment

I wonder if there are stories he always had a burning desire to tell, but never got to.
              In the audio file posted of his announcement at SDCC, JMS goes into a little detail of a story the network wouldn't approve.
              The idea was the crew and ambassadors switch identities due to a yet unexplained phenomena.

Garibaldi trades personalities with Londo, Delenn with Ivanova, Sharidan with G'Kar which leaves G'Kar running the station

FarScape did a similar idea in a second season episode called 'Out of their minds"
              It may have worked because the fans are used to the unexpected and don't need to be spoon-fed the stories.
              http://youtu.be/4uGThCTuTWE

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                In the audio file posted of his announcement at SDCC, JMS goes into a little detail of a story the network wouldn't approve.
                The idea was the crew and ambassadors switch identities due to a yet unexplained phenomena.

Garibaldi trades personalities with Londo, Delenn with Ivanova, Sharidan with G'Kar which leaves G'Kar running the station

FarScape did a similar idea in a second season episode called 'Out of their minds"
                It may have worked because the fans are used to the unexpected and don't need to be spoon-fed the stories.

Body switching eppies are very common in sci-fi and supernatural fantasy shows. It may not have been as well known in the 90s but nowadays it seems like every speculative show does it at least once.

Farscape did it like two or three times.

Comment

Originally posted by timk519 View Post
                  For those complaining about a prequel somehow "not working" - remember that the original series talked a lot about B4 disappearing, and then the cast went back in time and made it happen.

As I recall - it went over pretty well.
                  That's hardly a prequel though is it? Jumping around in time can definitely work a well for serialised TV, and indeed for a film. But when I talk about prequels I'm referring to films that typically give us the origins of characters and events with which we are already familiar. For example the Star Wars prequels, Prometheus, etc... I just tend to find them a bit dramatically flat because, ultimately, we know where they're going. There are exceptions (see below), but I'm struggling to think of many good ones off the top of my head.

If you've set up a mystery, a la Sinclair and the battle of the line, it works a treat. 'In the Beginning' is a clear prequel film, and it does work because it ties into B5 in a way that answers questions. It's one of the few truly good TNT films. But, for all that material to be interesting viewers need to know existing B5 canon.

That familiarity is something you can't expect from a new viewer coming to a B5 feature film. To be comercially viable it has to start fresh. So, when people start talking about the telepath war, and B4, I kinda just roll my eyes. Sure these elements could feature, but not in a way that will flesh out existing B5 chronology. Based on what JMS has said, I'm fairly confident it'll be a new cast, and a new story.

The first film will need to re-establish the universe in a new way, and then it can get on with business with telling an interesting story. Once that's done, it could potentially go anywhere, but let's hope it goes somewhere NEW. As someone already mentioned, it could and should be a trilogy of films to allow for a satisfying arc of its own.
                  Last edited by Ubik; 07-29-2014, 01:23 AM.
                  Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post

I think this was purely to illustrate that it would be possible to use some of the old cast in different roles.

It is a cool idea though, and it did make me think of the Farscape episode, which is very very amusing.

I'm just kinda trying to pin point JMS motivation for going back to B5, after the 5 year arc was completed and the story he want to tell was told.

I suppose if this is a complete reset of the universe, we'll be looking at a whole new set of stories, that will perharps differ from what we know. I'm personally hoping it will, otherwise what's the point!?

Comment

I suppose if this is a complete reset of the universe, we'll be looking at a whole new set of stories, that will perharps differ from what we know. I'm personally hoping it will, otherwise what's the point!?
                      That's a good question. I'm not happy about this at all.

I finally figured out why I hate reboots so much. It's not that they've univerally sucked as a rule. It's not even that they are short-hand cribbing and robbing from something I usually like. It's that it's the final and true death knell for a series/show/movie that there will be no more of those in the original story universe because the IP has moved on and there is not going to be more. Studios do not compete against themselves, so why would they put a throwback to the original to compete with their rebooted monstrosity? Answer, they won't.

The one bright spot, and it is really a true bright spot in this particular case, is JMS is still JMS. I believe what he will make will very likely be very good, after a time I may even come to enjoy it, but it means that B5 as I know it is done. No more new stories. I appreciate what we have, but the hope, false hope, but hope that we'd get something from Crusade, more Rangers, The Telepath Crisis, The Dilgar War, G'Quan and the mindwalkers vs. the Shadows, Valen and B4 vs. the Shadows, (those last two would make a really good movie trilogy), and that's just off the top, are now officially gone.

Jan, you can delete this or move it to the angry thread or something, everyone else has been so happy and upbeat, I hate to rain on it, but this is my post.
                      Last edited by Marsden; 07-29-2014, 05:24 AM.
                      "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                      "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

Originally posted by Marsden View Post

I finally figured out why I hate reboots so much. It's not that they've univerally sucked as a rule. It's not even that they are short-hand cribbing and robbing from something I usually like. It's that it's the final and true death knell for a series/show/movie that there will be no more of those in the original story universe because the IP has moved on and there is not going to be more. Studios do not compete against themselves, so why would they put a throwback to the original to compete with their rebooted monstrosity? Answer, they won't.

The one bright spot, and it is really a true bright spot in this particular case, is JMS is still JMS. I believe what he will make will very likely be very good, after a time I may even come to enjoy it, but it means that B5 as I know it is done. No more new stories. I appreciate what we have, but the hope, false hope, but hope that we'd get something from Crusade, more Rangers, The Telepath Crisis, The Dilgar War, G'Quan and the mindwalkers vs. the Shadows, Valen and B4 vs. the Shadows, (those last two would make a really good movie trilogy), and that's just off the top, are now officially gone.

Jan, you can delete this or move it to the angry thread or something, everyone else has been so happy and upbeat, I hate to rain on it, but this is my post.
                        All perfectly valid points, and eloquently expressed! More later... when I get time to reply properly.

Comment

I know it seems like the old universe is closed, but I am not so sure that is entirely true yet. I can't help but feel JMS has something up his sleeve. For instance, if he really is going to wipe the slate clean and start over then there is no reason to hold on to any old ideas he had for wrapping some of those plot lines up through other means like another B5 or Crusade comic series or audio dramas.

The way I look at it is he is clearly planning to go all in with this movie. If you've read his most recent Facebook post about the budget for this film then you know he is going to max out on it. If he is successful and we are successful at helping put butts in the seats for a theatrical release then there is no limit on what can come out of it. If a reboot movie is a huge success then he'll have leverage to get things done, like a proper HD release of the original series as well as a chance to tell stories from the old universe through other means like comics or books or audio dramas. (I really love the idea of a good series of audio dramas.)

Yes I too am having a really tough time dealing with the concept that the door seems closed on the old Universe, but I just keep telling myself it is JMS. If he has success with this then there is a possibility he'll have the tools to give us a lot of things we've wanted for years.

So here is another plug for what I would like to see with a reboot.

Basic premise should be the same, new space station in neutral territory. I think names of races and so on should be the same, so we can maybe have things we didn't see the first time around like parts of the Dilgar war. I always felt it was brilliant to have the Dilgar War as a reference point to something we never actually saw, a terrible war that started the foundation for why there needed to be a place like Babylon 5. In a new Universe a reboot movie could start with the Dilgar War.

Anyway, my point is that there may be more reasons to feel positive than we're thinking of because we're dealing with the original creator. We're not talking about some guys who can generate buzz around an idea for a reboot who tell everyone they have a plan when they clearly don't and then try to use the reasoning that everything they laid out was God's plan as an explanation when the series ends.
                          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            Anyway, my point is that there may be more reasons to feel positive than we're thinking of because we're dealing with the original creator. We're not talking about some guys who can generate buzz around an idea for a reboot who tell everyone they have a plan when they clearly don't and then try to use the reasoning that everything they laid out was God's plan as an explanation when the series ends.
                            Hahaha. Bang on the money my friend!

Comment

I too remain a little sceptical of reboots, but I think if we want any new B5, this really is the best option. There has been a downward trend in the quality of anything B5 related since the series proper finished up. None of the spin offs grabbed me, and it got to the point where it was just getting embarrassing. I truly believe this is our best hope for something good again in the B5 universe, with a proper budget, and a considered (not rushed) script that hasn't been tooled with by studio execs.

As Looney says, the feature film doesn’t preclude things like audio dramas for the original series, etc. It may even give the old material enough of a boost to get those HD remasters!
                              Last edited by Ubik; 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Two extreme examples of reboots, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

The Battlestar reboot was amazing, even with major changes to Starbuck and Boomer.
                                The series could have been even better if it had a definite arc

Star Trek is the other extreme because it's being exploited. All the worst traits of Hollywood have been applied to the original series, younger sexy crew, hopped up modified starship, shallow pointless scripts.

I look forward to the B5 movie to see what an even more experienced JMS will come up with and predict it will outsell the third Trek movie in 2016.
                                I wonder if they will both be summer movies?

Comment

Working...
                                X