Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You're right. JMS owns the movie rights *only*. He can't do ANYthing else at all, whatsoever without WB permission (and payment, I'm sure). But if he wants to do a feature film for B5 and is content to only let it run in the theaters (as he doesn't hold the TV rights), and he can get the backing to do so, WB has no say in the matter as far as I know. Own is own.

    Success with Midnight Nation and Rising Stars (ETA: And Ten Grand - Woo-Hoo!!) is likely to help with the attracting of investors. That's what JMS meant when he said he needed to build up the 'street cred' of Studio JMS.

    Time will tell...
    Last edited by Jan; 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

    Comment


    • A question; do people think the cancellation of Sense8 will in any way hamper progress on the B5 film? I wonder if this is good or bad for the street cred that needs to be built.

      The positives are that the press and fan reaction to the cancellation has been very strong. People clearly love the show. Another thing is that this frees up JMS in terms of time, with no more Sense8, perhaps there is room in his schedule to start considering this again. And whilst my feelings are mixed on this, he and the Ws are very tight now, this can only be good in terms of networking within hollywood. I think Sense8 has done a lot to restore their reputation.
      Last edited by Ubik; 06-02-2017, 01:34 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

      Kosh: Good!

      Comment


      • I was thinking those last days about the recent trailer of Star Trek Discovery. I was wondering if in case of success, it would let people/investors/netflix-like-actors see Babylon 5 as another potentiel and profitable franchise to be revived too.
        Last edited by Apsu; 06-04-2017, 01:19 AM.
        "Ahh...Beautiful. I will miss this. When it is gone." Kosh Naranek - 26 February, 2258.

        https://babylon5.xyz

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Apsu View Post
          I was thinking those last days about the recent trailer of Star Trek Discovery. I was wondering if in case of success, it would let people/investors/netflix-like-actors see Babylon 5 as another potentiel and profitable franchise to be revived too.
          Yeah, good idea.
          I hope so.
          My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

          Comment


          • Nah, Super Heroes are still the money maker.

            If only he could get the Justice League on a new Babylon 5 show...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
              Nah, Super Heroes are still the money maker.

              If only he could get the Justice League on a new Babylon 5 show...
              If Jack the Ripper can visit B5, so can Batman.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

              Kosh: Good!

              Comment


              • After years of saying the Amber Chronicles deserve a series, I might be getting my wish. Googling it, I see Altered Carbon is going to be adapted as well.

                Good things are happening! Hopefully the trend is a good sign and portent for a new B5 series.

                http://io9.gizmodo.com/status-update...stu-1790125170

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
                  Yeah, good idea.
                  I hope so.
                  Dude, you have good taste in films! Was just looking at your BluRay collection list. Not often I see SF fanatics who appear to love the work of Harmony Korine. As of this day 'Julien Donkey Boy' is the only film that's ever made me feel physically ill. This is a feat in itself, and Herzog's performance in that film is priceless. Not one I dig out often, but powerful stuff.
                  Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                  Kosh: Good!

                  Comment


                  • See I don't think I would ever share my collection because I wouldn't want to hear criticism from everyone.
                    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Looney View Post
                      See I don't think I would ever share my collection because I wouldn't want to hear criticism from everyone.
                      We don't judge here...

                      (*secretly judging... constantly...)
                      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                      Kosh: Good!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                        Dude, you have good taste in films! Was just looking at your BluRay collection list. Not often I see SF fanatics who appear to love the work of Harmony Korine. As of this day 'Julien Donkey Boy' is the only film that's ever made me feel physically ill. This is a feat in itself, and Herzog's performance in that film is priceless. Not one I dig out often, but powerful stuff.
                        Thank you very much.

                        I love Korine.
                        Julien Donkey-Boy was my favorite film for a couple of years.
                        Now I prefer Gummo and Spring Breakers by him.

                        I am a huge Werner Herzog fan as well.
                        I even ordered "Lebenszeichen" (Signs of Life) and "The Wild Blue Yonder" on Blu-ray at the office of Mr. Herzog.
                        These two masterpieces aren't available on Blu-ray in regular (online-)stores.
                        My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
                          Thank you very much.

                          I love Korine.
                          Julien Donkey-Boy was my favorite film for a couple of years.
                          Now I prefer Gummo and Spring Breakers by him.

                          I am a huge Werner Herzog fan as well.
                          I even ordered "Lebenszeichen" (Signs of Life) and "The Wild Blue Yonder" on Blu-ray at the office of Mr. Herzog.
                          These two masterpieces aren't available on Blu-ray in regular (online-)stores.
                          Yes! Herzog is one of the greats of cinema. There are no directors left like him, he truly suffered for him art, went to extreme lengths to get his films made. If you've seen the documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Aguirre Wrath of God remains one of my all time favourite films.

                          I am also a massive Popol Vuh fan, the outfit that soundtracked many of Herzog's 70s and 80s films.

                          Sorry, we should probably take this to the 'general films' thread so as to not derail this one.
                          Last edited by Ubik; 06-06-2017, 02:37 PM.
                          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                          Kosh: Good!

                          Comment


                          • Sooo... the original announcement that the B5 movie would be written and shopped around for investment was 2014!

                            I do hope we get some kind of positive news at SDCC this year. Any kind of forward momentum would be positive.
                            Last edited by Ubik; 07-16-2017, 03:01 PM.
                            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                            Kosh: Good!

                            Comment


                            • I hope we do too, but if I remember correctly I believe 2017 was when JMS was hopeful production might begin. I think with Sense 8, health issues, and everything else we aren't really too far behind schedule - if an announcement does come at SDCC 2017. And if he doesn't say anything I don't think we should panic until 2018. Then we just go nutz!
                              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Looney View Post
                                I hope we do too, but if I remember correctly I believe 2017 was when JMS was hopeful production might begin. I think with Sense 8, health issues, and everything else we aren't really too far behind schedule - if an announcement does come at SDCC 2017. And if he doesn't say anything I don't think we should panic until 2018. Then we just go nutz!
                                Hahah. Yes. What will be, will be. There are so many factors that have to come together for this to happen. It's nice that there's at least hope of it, and that it's there on JMS 'to do list'.

                                We always have five seasons of great TV to re-visit.
                                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                                Kosh: Good!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X