Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    Reading all the fan reactions today, ...

I kinda agree that the B5 story doesn't need telling again, but this is JMS. This won't be a straight reboot, hell reboot pretty much implies that things will be different.

There's no reason we wouldn't get a different story this time around. I think we'll get the same basic universe, with all the races we love, but I can't see JMS wanting to tell the same tale twice. ...

I trust JMS to be creative and challenge us as fans, I think there are cool things in store if this gets off the ground.
    Exactly . JMS has already indicated some time ago that he does *not* want to tell the same story. I trust JMS in that respect.
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

If I know JMS, things will be different, and our expectations will be turned upside down, in a good way. I doubt a simple re-telling would satisfy him creatively.
      THANK you! I swear, looking at some of the comments, you'd think fans believe that JMS has been possessed by an idiot in the intervening years.

Will move parts of the announcement/transcript down here once I'm home and have a real keyboard under my hands again.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

In general, a "reboot" could potentially be described in three major categories:

1) "Remake" - same characters and (usually) same time setting, with new story and new cast - new actors playing Sinclair, Garibaldi, etc.

2) "Sequel" - new story, but roughly the same time setting and as many same characters as possible - significant ties to the original, for example, including some original cast as older characters

3) Distant "Prequel" / Distant "Sequel" - new story, new characters, new time setting, same "universe" - for example, a far-enough-removed continuation in the style of the V reboot, or a prequel as with Star Wars.

I'm sure that nobody wants 1. As for 2, I'm sure a lot of people would lean toward this one. But personally, I think that option 3 is the healthiest, because it allows you to do something fresh and craft a story that stands on its own merits while retaining the elements that made the original a success, not alienating the fans by recasting, avoid kind of embarrassing yourself with Harrison Ford running around in his mid-sixties and last but not least, feeling you need to throw in cameos for the sake of cameos. Of course, having old Spock pop his head in every once in a while is always a good time.

With good reason, 20 years after Star Wars, George Lucas did not decide to make the continuing adventures of Luke Skywalker, with either Mark Hamill or a new actor portraying Luke.

Everyone's own opinions about the prequels aside, I think that there's a lot of merit to that decision. (Very interested to see what the sequels are going to do.)

20 years after Babylon 5, I hope we should be so lucky with the continuation of the "franchise"

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Klassen View Post
          In general, a "reboot" could potentially be described in three major categories:

1) "Remake" - same characters and (usually) same time setting, with new story and new cast - new actors playing Sinclair, Garibaldi, etc.

2) "Sequel" - new story, but roughly the same time setting and as many same characters as possible - significant ties to the original, for example, including some original cast as older characters

3) Distant "Prequel" / Distant "Sequel" - new story, new characters, new time setting, same "universe" - for example, a far-enough-removed continuation in the style of the V reboot, or a prequel as with Star Wars.

I'm sure that nobody wants 1. As for 2, I'm sure a lot of people would lean toward this one. But personally, I think that option 3 is the healthiest, because it allows you to do something fresh and craft a story that stands on its own merits while retaining the elements that made the original a success, not alienating the fans by recasting, avoid kind of embarrassing yourself with Harrison Ford running around in his mid-sixties and last but not least, feeling you need to throw in cameos for the sake of cameos. Of course, having old Spock pop his head in every once in a while is always a good time.

With good reason, 20 years after Star Wars, George Lucas did not decide to make the continuing adventures of Luke Skywalker, with either Mark Hamill or a new actor portraying Luke.

Everyone's own opinions about the prequels aside, I think that there's a lot of merit to that decision. (Very interested to see what the sequels are going to do.)

20 years after Babylon 5, I hope we should be so lucky with the continuation of the "franchise"
          I think option 2 is by far the most likely.

I have a very strong dislike of prequels. Much of the dramatic tension is immediately lost because we already know the endgame. You have to be very good at telling the ‘how we get there’ aspect of the story, complete with its own internal plotting and twists, in order to still take viewers by surprise. The main reason the Star Wars prequels failed so dramatically as films was because there was no dramatic or emotional weight to them. We all knew what Anakin was destined to become, but the events and ultimate justification leading up to his turn to the dark side rang so hollow that one wonders why Lucas even bothered. Patton Oswalt parodies it perfectly in his stand up show, have a listen here. I couldn’t stop laughing.

Anyway, we all know B5 is sketched out a few thousand years in either direction, but I’m unsure we really need to see that stuff, and I very much doubt that’s what JMS wants to do with his feature film. If someone says ‘Telepath War’ one more time I may explode.

I think we’re far more likely to get an Abrams style ‘hard reset’ of the universe. This option allows for the most creative scope, and would allow JMS to tell new stories. There seems to be very little point in a straight re-telling of a story we all already know so well. This option also makes the most sense in terms of attracting a new, and wider audience to B5.

I personally LOVE that we have something NEW to discuss. Something that may actually be a going concern and will result in some new material in the B5 universe. At the very least, I’m deeply curious to see what emerges, and am trying to remain as positive as possible. One thing that really took me by surprise is how overwhelmingly negative fandom has been about the announcement. My initial trawl of FB groups and other SF forums turned up a whole lot of bitching and moaning based on what little information we have. I guess fans have heard this all before and been left empty handed before.

Fingers crossed eh!? In the mean time I will enjoy speculating wildly and debating the relative merits of the project with everyone else!
          Last edited by Ubik; 07-28-2014, 04:08 AM.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

In Valen's name? why not the story of babylon 4, the fomraiton of the grey council and the first great shadow war, eh Ubik?

We know the braod strokes of what happened, but I feel that JMS is always abou tthe people, the great events occur and we see how the effect those around us, often those with no contorl over what is happening.

One of my favourite episodes in Season 5 is "A View from the Gallery" a perfect exaple of how the "little people" are thrown about by the events of our larger story.

As to being a good teller of tales, this is JMS writing it, I know of few living writers finer.

Alan
            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
              In Valen's name? why not the story of babylon 4, the formation of the grey council and the first great shadow war, eh Ubik?

We know the broad strokes of what happened, but I feel that JMS is always about the people, the great events occur and we see how the effect those around us, often those with no control over what is happening.

One of my favourite episodes in Season 5 is "A View from the Gallery" a perfect example of how the "little people" are thrown about by the events of our larger story.

As to being a good teller of tales, this is JMS writing it, I know of few living writers finer.

Alan
              The B4 / first shadow war concept could work very well, but only as something that slots into the existing series. It would have made a great TNT TV movie, but to me it’s just not 'rebooted feature film' material.

I only say this because I’d be deeply weary of anything that relies too heavily on pre-existing B5 chronology. It also restricts things to a set series of events, which means we already know the outcome. The crux of the thing - the first Shadow War, we already know that light triumphs over darkness. Sure, we don’t know the specifics, but that existing knowledge removes a lot of the dramatic tension. Your big threat is never really truly convincing because we all know that good will ultimately triumph. (Sure, this is a given in most Hollywood films, but I like to not know the outcome beforehand). I like how Babylon 4 and the first shadow war are used to add texture and mythology to the existing B5 universe, but I have little desire to see it spelled out on the big screen. Doing prequels just feels like a cop out to me, something only to be resorted to when creators are really out of ideas.

For me, it really has to be something that starts fresh. It also really has to be that way to get new viewers on board without them knowing anything about B5.

Comment

Re-posted now : see below
                Last edited by babylonlurker; 07-28-2014, 10:17 AM.
                Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

So, skewing the conversation in a slightly different direction. What do you folks think JMS hopes to achieve with a B5 feature?

A series of films? A means to re-kindle interest in a new TV show? A rebooted TV series based on the feature film?

Or perhaps simply to see B5 done with a big budget, modern FX and on the big screen? I wonder if there are stories he always had a burning desire to tell, but never got to.

--------

-babylonlurker, please re-post your message, looks like the forum ate it!
                  Last edited by Ubik; 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Ubik :

Relying on the existing chronology does not exclude new stories told within the later part of the 20 year span before Sheridan's departure. Lots of stories could be told there that could stand alone to some extent , eg. Telepath War. We could even see Walter Koenig as an old Bester as indicated in the Psi Corps trilogy.

Stories taking place after the 20 years (sequels) are probably the more viable way to go, although after a film or two - or maybe in a new series, the previous Shadow War could become interesting.

I do not think for a second that JMS wants to do a re-make of B5 - would any of us think that he wants to tell *the same* story once again ?

The other point of knowing where we end a particular story : JMS is known for creating surprising ways to get to a known point. Thinking of the Londo/G'Kar at each other's throat here
                    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Hey Stefan, this will all probably get moved across, but a wealth of information is already present in this thread. I won't repeat my comments, but long story short, it'll be a reboot. New cast, with older cast members potentially being slotted into roles more suited to their age. If I know JMS, things will be different, and our expectations will be turned upside down, in a good way. I doubt a simple re-telling would satisfy him creatively.
                      Thanks for the answer.
                      I afterwards saw the other thread.
                      I'll walk over.

Stefan

Damn. I should alter my sig

Comment

Isn't speculation fun?! Isn't having something to speculate about even better?! Just the knowledge that we're going to have this to toss around for a long time is making me happy.
                        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
                          The other point of knowing where we end a particular story : JMS is known for creating surprising ways to get to a known point. Thinking of the Londo/G'Kar at each other's throat here
                          Not to mention the destruction of Babylon 5

Comment

When I read Jan's report and saw the word "reboot" I got really, really nervous. I hope he creates new characters and doesn't try and recast Delenn or Londo or G'Kar 'cause that would probably be a disaster.

I have loved everything B5 though, so as long as it still feels like B5 universe I'm sure I'll still love it.

But please, create new characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lots of interesting comments around the web as the dust settles this weekend.

My favorite speculation so far is the parallel universe B5 to be directed by J.J. Abrams - lol!

Also fears of another Legend of the Rangers

If money and time are not an issue, JMS will have the breathing room to do something totally spectacular.

I keep thinking of how awesome the Battlestar Galactica reboot turned out even after the change to Starbuck and Boomer.

The good news appears to be that Charlie Brown has grabbed the football from Lucy.. run Charlie run!

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                                Isn't speculation fun?! Isn't having something to speculate about even better?! Just the knowledge that we're going to have this to toss around for a long time is making me happy.
                                Abso-fragging-lutely, it is fun !
                                Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Working...
                                X