Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
    "was/is" is a very interesting turn of phrase. Talk about keeping people off balance.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Makes it sound like it isn't so certain anymore. Perhaps we are reading WAAAY too much into it. (Probably!)
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Found the interview I referred to a bit upthread. Though it's got a January date, it's for a publication so probably actually came out 2-3 months ago.

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/no...l-straczynski/

My plan is, this year, to finish up the script for a B5 reboot, and then hopefully get funding for it to shoot it next year.
      Note that this was definitely before the announcement that JMS would be showrunning Red Mars.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• So it's not happening then?

*sighs* I wish he wouldn't say he was going to do B5 things until after he had done them then I wouldn't have to decide which emotion to give in to, relief or despair?

Maybe despairelief! "giggles"

Be positive, Delenn! Maybe the universe saw it was going to turn out really badly, and we should just trust the universe to give us the right things at the right time, in the right format.
        Last edited by Delenn_of_Mir; 03-21-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
          So it's not happening then?
          I wouldn't say that at all. I think it isn't going to happen as soon as we want. I just keep telling myself that the more he is doing high profile projects that are not B5 related the more clout he is going to have when he wants to do a B5 project the right way.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
            I wouldn't say that at all. I think it isn't going to happen as soon as we want. I just keep telling myself that the more he is doing high profile projects that are not B5 related the more clout he is going to have when he wants to do a B5 project the right way.

Well that could be true, too.

I wish JMS and I lived in the same apartment and I could trap him in the elevator and make him tell me what's going on with it. "giggles muchly"

Comment

So it's not happening then?

*sighs* I wish he wouldn't say he was going to do B5 things until after he had done them then I wouldn't have to decide which emotion to give in to, relief or despair?

Maybe despairelief! "giggles"

Be positive, Delenn! Maybe the universe saw it was going to turn out really badly, and we should just trust the universe to give us the right things at the right time, in the right format.
              Umm...huh? What are you talking about? I'm reasonably sure you're reading something that I can't see?

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                Umm...huh? What are you talking about? I'm reasonably sure you're reading something that I can't see?

Jan

"giggles" That's true with me and most things.

My interpretation was the last time Joe had mentioned the movie/script he was already less sure about doing it, and then you said that lackluster announcement came before he found out he was going to be showrunner for Red Mars.

So in my head that meant he definitely won't have time for it, since he's got even more new work that he didn't know about before.

I was already thinking in my head. It's March 2016, no news, so it's prolly not happening, when I read your post. I'm just very pessimistic about things I'm excited for. And not patient. At All. (shakes head impatiently)

Comment

• To re iterate what Jan says....
                  JMS works on multiple projexts, all the time, he's a machine. Plus I'm sure there'll be lots of flights between where he lives and where the show is filming (isn't all american Sci Fi shot in Canada thse days). Nice 3 hour flight, plenty of writing time.

As we say in discworld fandom, you need to have the P word
                  "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

My interpretation was the last time Joe had mentioned the movie/script he was already less sure about doing it, and then you said that lackluster announcement came before he found out he was going to be showrunner for Red Mars.
                    I'm feeling stupid still. What mention was 'less sure about doing it'? The last mention that we had was that he planned to finish (not 'write', not 'begin', *finish*) the script in 2015 - which was exactly what he'd said from the very beginning. Where's the lackluster?

I understand the impatient part - I share that! But he's beer *awfully* quiet the past few months. That often is a precursor to big news. Whether it's B5 or not, that's fine with me!

Jan

Comment

• I'm trying to turn over a new positive leaf, so twill only post positive things from now on. So any day now Joe is going to say something new about the B5 movie. Like, "hey guys, guess what? I finished the script and it's amazing. Y'all are gonna love it."

Comment

I'm trying to turn over a new positive leaf, so twill only post positive things from now on. So any day now Joe is going to say something new about the B5 movie. Like, "hey guys, guess what? I finished the script and it's amazing. Y'all are gonna love it."

That's the spirit! And I promise I wasn't trying to beat you up, I was just trying to understand. If you picked that up, I'm sure others probably did so I was curious (okay, nosey )

Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          That's the spirit! And I promise I wasn't trying to beat you up, I was just trying to understand. If you picked that up, I'm sure others probably did so I was curious (okay, nosey )

Jan

No worries!

Maybe JMS will make an exciting B5 announcement on my birthday in 2 months. That'd be sweet.

Comment

• I'm sorry to say, but I've pretty much given up on anything new B5 related ever occurring.

In some ways JMS and B5 related material remind me a lot of GRRM when it comes to ASOIAF. They are both eagerly attend comic con panels, bury themselves in a multitude of other projects, are happy to discuss old works, and appear totally apathetic for creating new material in those universes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Technomage-Galen View Post
                              I'm sorry to say, but I've pretty much given up on anything new B5 related ever occurring.

In some ways JMS and B5 related material remind me a lot of GRRM when it comes to ASOIAF. They are both eagerly attend comic con panels, bury themselves in a multitude of other projects, are happy to discuss old works, and appear totally apathetic for creating new material in those universes.
                              Except Babylon 5 is finished, and ASOIAF isn't. Which is a pretty huge difference. B5 was never really intended to be a franchise, anyway, so whatever JMS ends up doing, it's never going to be "more B5" in the traditional sense.
                              Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Technomage-Galen View Post
                                I'm sorry to say, but I've pretty much given up on anything new B5 related ever occurring.

JMS has tried really hard over the years to do more B5, but since WB holds all the rights to his creation he hasn't had the ability to do anything. He even tried buying the rights back and WB said, "No. We hate B5 and refuse to do anything with it, and we refuse to let anyone else do anything with it because it will make us look bad when it's successful."

Now that he has studio JMS, he has the possibility of doing a movie or movie series, but since he couldn't do B5 for a very long time he's gotten involved in hundreds of other projects and it's impossible for him to work on all of them at once.

He's extremely busy and has obligations to all the people with the money to help him do B5 eventually. But he's like a politician, he has to give his benefactors the projects they want first before they'll agree to fund the movie. At least this is how it works in my head. "giggles"

Comment

Working...
                                X