Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    Another big point is getting a quality director on board who can bring something special to the table, and realise JMS vision, and add something unique to it.
    MY choice would be JMS hisownself or Mike Vejar though he doesn't look to be doing much directing anymore.

    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      In some ways I'd prefer someone who wasn't too precious about the original series. This new B5 should be all about the NEW.
      I disagree. Plus I know I've heard discussions in the past that mentioned some big directors out there who are fans of the show. I think I heard once that the guy who directed a current Star something: the something Awakens was a fan of B5 , but I don't know if he should get behind the wheel of ANOTHER SciFi franchise.

      Originally posted by Jan View Post
      MY choice would be JMS hisownself or Mike Vejar though he doesn't look to be doing much directing anymore.

      Jan
      I don't think JMS would be a good choice from a financing stand point because I don't think money people want to hear, "I am writing, producing, and directing it all myself." Other names involved can give it more of a solid feel. I think a veteran or someone fresh who backers are willing to put money behind would be the best choice. I like the idea of Vejar, but I'm not so sure big money investors would.

      I am going to go WAY out in left field and say I would love to see Kathryn Bigelow. I know she tackles very serious topics these days, but I think this would be a great outside the box project for her. If she and JMS worked well together I think it would be great for B5.

      (I would also like to see Del Torro, but as I've said before I think he and JMS might not work well together . . . or it could be a match made in heaven.)
      Last edited by Looney; 01-08-2016, 08:05 PM.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

      Comment


      • I could see someone like Christopher Nolan working well. However, this seems a bit ambitious!

        I do think JMS, or anyone making a feature film, needs a foil, someone who can help iron out any kinks and bring different angles to that creative vision. Every creator has his / her weaknesses and it always helps to have someone on board who will call you on the things that don't quite work.

        Just look at something like Empire Strikes Back, without people like Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and Gary Kurtz on board, it wouldn't have been half the film it was. It helps to have those other voices to improve things.

        I think JMS working with the Ws on Sense8 is a great example of how this works well, with them editing each others scripts to balance things out and get the best possible result. Not that I'd really want the Ws involved with a B5 move, but the idea of cross pollination between creators who respect each other is such an advantage.

        I absolutely would not want to see JMS write and direct.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

        Kosh: Good!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ubik View Post
          I absolutely would not want to see JMS write and direct.
          You don't want him to write the movie????? Or is it that you don't want him to BOTH write and direct?

          Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Jan View Post
            You don't want him to write the movie????? Or is it that you don't want him to BOTH write and direct?

            Jan
            I would not want him to take on BOTH writing and directing. I think it's a bit much for one person, and can lead to blind spots in terms of identifying your own weaknesses, or things that could be improved upon with small changes.

            Of course I want JMS to pen the film! No one else should do that! But I think the writer and director should be separate parties, but with a good bond and understanding. I think JMS has mentioned before that he prefers to do the writing and let others direct.
            Last edited by Ubik; 01-09-2016, 07:25 AM.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

            Kosh: Good!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ubik View Post
              Of course I want JMS to pen the film! No one else should do that! But I think the writer and director should be separate parties, but with a good bond and understanding. I think JMS has mentioned before that he prefers to do the writing and let others direct.
              I know that he said that in the past but he does seem inclined to dip his toes in yet seems cognizant of his limitations. Witness that he was supposed to do some directing on Sense8 but bowed out.

              Given 'Sleeping in Light' and the Lost Tales as the only examples, I'd love to see him go for it. I'd love to see a B5 that's all his vision. But I can understand if he didn't.

              Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jan View Post

                Given 'Sleeping in Light' and the Lost Tales as the only examples, I'd love to see him go for it. I'd love to see a B5 that's all his vision. But I can understand if he didn't.

                Jan
                I enjoyed 'Sleeping in Light' a great deal. The Lost Tales, not so much, but plenty of that was down to budget restrictions.

                To have JMS both write and direct I think is too high risk for a feature film. It would really benefit from having an experienced director at the helm. It would also free JMS up to focus on ensuring the script is just right, but there's no reason he couldn't be closely involved every step of the way.
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                Kosh: Good!

                Comment


                • You are both leaving out a HUGE piece of the the pie - writing, directing, and PRODUCING. That is what JMS would be doing if he directed a Babylon 5 feature. That triple threat spells lots of distractions for one person. He should write/produce and turn the directing over to someone else.
                  Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                  Comment


                  • The problem I see with JMS not producing is that all too many directors take the movie away from what it's meant to be. (Should we even go into Forster throwing out the script for WWZ as an example?) I think it would be imperative for the director to buy into JMS' vision rather than be focused on imprinting his own.

                    Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                    Comment


                    • I enjoy art that is the vision of one person, and I think it's perfectly doable to write, direct and produce - more than enough people have done it. So I'd be quite happy to see a JMS-directed B5 film.

                      However, for Hollywood reasons, I think it's more likely they'd try to find a name director. Picking one who is really appropriate is quite the challenge.
                      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        You are both leaving out a HUGE piece of the the pie - writing, directing, and PRODUCING. That is what JMS would be doing if he directed a Babylon 5 feature. That triple threat spells lots of distractions for one person. He should write/produce and turn the directing over to someone else.
                        Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        The problem I see with JMS not producing is that all too many directors take the movie away from what it's meant to be. (Should we even go into Forster throwing out the script for WWZ as an example?) I think it would be imperative for the director to buy into JMS' vision rather than be focused on imprinting his own.

                        Jan
                        Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                        I enjoy art that is the vision of one person, and I think it's perfectly doable to write, direct and produce - more than enough people have done it. So I'd be quite happy to see a JMS-directed B5 film.

                        However, for Hollywood reasons, I think it's more likely they'd try to find a name director. Picking one who is really appropriate is quite the challenge.
                        Citizen Kane is a perfect example of a great film written, produced, directed and acted in by one person, Orson Wells. Joe has demonstrated that he is capable of writing, producing and directing a Babylon 5 episode, Sleeping in Light, and the Lost Tales. He has also demonstrated that he can co-write and co-produce Sense8.

                        Producing a film shares many of the same kind of challenges of designing a product, such as an aircraft. When a product is relatively simple, the vision of a single competent designer generally produces a better product. As a product becomes more complex, the chief designer must delegate increasingly more tasks to other team members. A single passenger glider will likely be better if designed and built by the same person. In contrast, an Airbus 380 or Boeing 787 is way too complex for one person to have complete knowledge of all design aspects and require a large team to produce. With such complex projects, some of the clarity of vision is lost in the design by necessity for the project to come to fruition.

                        Even though Joe is perfectly capable of taking on the three roles of writer, producer and director, he may still wish to choose a popular competent director who shares his vision. Joe has worked with a number of talented directors, and probably already has in mind someone who would not tamper with his vision.

                        Although it would be extremely unlikely, Clint Eastwood has demonstrated on Changeling and other films that he does not alter the script unless it is absolutely necessary. The Wachowski's are a possible choice for directors.

                        Regardless, I believe Joe will make a sound decision on how best to proceed with a Babylon 5 film, a decision that accounts for his availability, his desire to direct the film, clarity of vision and promotion.

                        Comment


                        • I am not saying JMS can't do all three. I am saying we already know he is writing and producing so why not turn over directing to someone else?

                          I am saying, and others seem to agree, that financial backers are more likely to come on board if they don't think JMS is trying to do it all himself, especially if he can lure a name Director. We all know he can do it himself, the question is should that be his mindset? I doubt it is, if anything for the reason I stated above. JMS is known for writing and producing. Yes he has successfully directed, but he's never been successfully hired just to direct a feature film. If I have money to invest and I don't know anything about JMS, I question his choice to take on all three roles.
                          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                          Comment


                          • Well, either way, I'm sure JMS will opt for what is best for the film. Fingers crossed for some news at some point this year.
                            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

                            Kosh: Good!

                            Comment


                            • Well this isn't exactly news but it's intriguing.

                              In a conversation about what series a couple of fans wanted for a mini-series or event, B5 was brought up. Somebody brought up the B5 movie.

                              Nick Coviello ‏@Get2thechopper 11h11 hours ago
                              @LanceCoviello @straczynski How would a #Babylon5 movie work when condensed from five seasons to a handful of films? #eventseries #reboot
                              Originally posted by JMichael Straczynski
                              ‏@straczynski 8h8 hours ago
                              @Get2thechopper @LanceCoviello It wouldn't, nor was/is that the intent.
                              https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...15701107048448

                              Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                              Comment


                              • "was/is" is a very interesting turn of phrase. Talk about keeping people off balance.
                                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X