Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
    While JMS has said that he'll give WB the chance to be involved (read: cough up some money (IMO, of course)), it's not up to them at all. JMS owns the feature film rights so he can do this on his own via his Studio JMS. As for progress, we know it's gone from intending to 'write the script' to intending to 'finish the script' so we know that progress has been made despite how busy he is.

Jan
    Thats kind of good to hear, I was beginning to think from the complete lack of news since Aug 2014 that the project was basically dead. Particularly with Sens8 getting a second season (which I still need to watch - been waiting on my wife to have the time to sit and watch it together).

Comment

• So, JMS is now show runner on Starz 'Red Mars' TV show. Part of me thinks this makes the B5 movie even less likely, in terms of JMS having quality time to dedicate to scripting and shopping it around.

However, part of me also thinks that his profile is definitely rising, what with Sense8 and now Red Mars. If the Red Mars does well, it puts him in an even better position from which to pitch a more grandiose project like the B5 movie.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Is he writing every episode of Red Mars?

If he is not I am not too worried about the B5 script because of the 2017 date. That still gives him time to work on getting a B5 script finished then trying to sell it while working on Red Mars. After Mars premiers he could go into production on the movie. We all know that he has been working with too much on his plate, but unlike we mere mortals he apparently can handle it pretty well.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Recirculating the 2014 News

How many people have seen the Blastr news article from 2014 showing up on your social media feeds? I guess now that it is 2016, it seems to have resurfaced and is getting passed around as new news. Maybe that will prompt joe to give some sort of update.

Lee Whiteside
          Webmaster
          SFTV.org
          B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

• Originally posted by sftv View Post
            How many people have seen the Blastr news article from 2014 showing up on your social media feeds? I guess now that it is 2016, it seems to have resurfaced and is getting passed around as new news. Maybe that will prompt joe to give some sort of update.

Lee Whiteside
            I know in the last couple of months an awful lot of fans have been asking about it. Possibly prompted in part by the Red Mars news, too.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I know in the last couple of months an awful lot of fans have been asking about it. Possibly prompted in part by the Red Mars news, too.

Jan
              Damn! There was me hoping your post would be an update on progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                Damn! There was me hoping your post would be an update on progress.
                The last time I asked about an update I even mentioned that there have been a lot of questions about the film. But let's face it, given how many times anything he says is going to be posted and discussed and thrown back at him if it doesn't happen per schedule, who can blame him if he doesn't say anything until there's something really concrete to report?

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

The last time I asked about an update I even mentioned that there have been a lot of questions about the film. But let's face it, given how many times anything he says is going to be posted and discussed and thrown back at him if it doesn't happen per schedule, who can blame him if he doesn't say anything until there's something really concrete to report?

Jan
                  Part of me wishes creators would wait until a project was actually underway before announcing it! For all we know IT IS underway, but the wait is hard for us fans.

Comment

Jan
                    The problem I have is that this wasn't a flippant comment or just saying he would like to get something going. That would be different because it would be a generalization and comment about what he would like to do not what he is going to do. He specifically stated he was doing it and wasn't waiting around for others (WB). Either they jump on board or he does it without them as he wasn't wasting more time and more of the original actors passing beyond the rim. He gave a specific time frame for writing and shooting. Now we have Sense8 (don't get me wrong, love Sense8) being renewed for another season and him being the show runner for Red Mars on Spike with no comment from him about B5 and his previous declaration.

"So in 2015 I will write a Babylon 5 screenplay. I’ll be giving Warner Bros. the opportunity – if they want to step up, “Help yourself”. If they don’t, 2016: We make it. I’m not going to wait around for more of our cast members to die."

Kind of also like the Studio JMS site. Had a posting for how long now saying it was being updated and would be rebooted August 2015? Message is still there. You don't give specific dates unless you have some sense you can actually meet them. If you can't meet them, you announce that it isn't going to be met. You certainly don't give dates and then drop it and say nothing when those dates are months in the past.

To me things like this is basically a slap in the face to fans. Especially when it happens again and again and the person says I don't want to give dates because when it doesn't happen people get upset, and then gives another date.
                    Last edited by Nastastu; 01-06-2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Slap in the face? C'mon...that's taking it much too seriously. And Sense8 was already happening when JMS made the B5 film announcement (just for accuracy's sake).

We have to understand the difference between personal projects like 'The Flickering Light' and the B5 movie and the script books and even the comics work. Of necessity those are going to take second place to the work that pays the bills. They're not promises, they're targets that he's shooting for at that time. No contracts expressed or implied.

And really, he doesn't owe us any updates. We know from what he said that the next step would be getting financing. That's none of our business and wouldn't further his aims at all. Let's try to be patient until there's real news. Or until SDCC this year, whichever comes first.

Jan

Comment

• I've had projects I thought would take six months that ended up taking multiple years. Art is extremely unpredictable, doubly so in the economic system we live in. That's just how it is. It's not a slap in the face to the fans, it's doing something that's incredibly complicated and time-consuming while also trying to remain part of an industry that forgets who you are after about half an hour.
                        Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                          I've had projects I thought would take six months that ended up taking multiple years. Art is extremely unpredictable, doubly so in the economic system we live in. That's just how it is. It's not a slap in the face to the fans, it's doing something that's incredibly complicated and time-consuming while also trying to remain part of an industry that forgets who you are after about half an hour.
                          And did you announce that within 6 months this was going to occur and then say nothing when it didn't during those years it took?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastastu View Post
                            And did you announce that within 6 months this was going to occur and then say nothing when it didn't during those years it took?
                            Do I need to remind you that there's not exactly a deadline being missed yet? What he said was:

Originally posted by JMS
                            So in 2015 I will write a Babylon 5 screenplay.
                            It's only 6 days into 2016.

Jan

Comment

Slap in the face? C'mon...that's taking it much too seriously. And Sense8 was already happening when JMS made the B5 film announcement (just for accuracy's sake).

We have to understand the difference between personal projects like 'The Flickering Light' and the B5 movie and the script books and even the comics work. Of necessity those are going to take second place to the work that pays the bills. They're not promises, they're targets that he's shooting for at that time. No contracts expressed or implied.

And really, he doesn't owe us any updates. We know from what he said that the next step would be getting financing. That's none of our business and wouldn't further his aims at all. Let's try to be patient until there's real news. Or until SDCC this year, whichever comes first.

Jan
                              My point is that you need to have some sort of respect for your fans and what you say. I'm not saying that you have to hit any date you announce but if you are going to put dates on things, have the decency to make another announcement to that effect. If you can't, you shouldn't be making that first announcement at all.

Like say when an author announces they are going to have a book out in the fall. When that isn't going to occur, it is known. There isn't still a banner at the bookstore saying "X coming out in August 2015!" in January 2016 and the book still has not been finished. I have seen writers post long reasons as to why it wasn't going to come out on time, before that date arrives. Not that I am expecting him to post the reasons, but to at least update the banner on his frickin website so it doesn't continue to say August 2015.

Comment

• I understand your point just fine. What I don't understand is what exactly you're looking for him to say? To use your own example, a book author would likely tell readers when they've gotten a contract for a book but then next update would probably be that publication date.

Yes, I'd love to see a post that says the script is done but that wouldn't exactly tell me much, would it? Next step is getting/completing financing of the studio which is none of our business.

And keep in mind that this was at a convention spotlight. It's not as if he sent out a press release. The only articles about it seem to stem directly from my transcript. You're acting as though his telling a few hundred fans his intentions is some kind of covenant. It's not. It was just JMS talking about his work to interested fans.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X