No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could be like one of the long running threads in a Red Dwarf forum - Still no Red Dwarf XI news, then when there finally was the green light for the next series, a not so long running thread Still there's Red Dwarf XI news.

Comment

• Originally posted by wilbers View Post
      Would be nice to get an update on progress. Maybe it is written (first draft at least) and there will be no announcements until Warner Bros. make a decision.
      While JMS has said that he'll give WB the chance to be involved (read: cough up some money (IMO, of course)), it's not up to them at all. JMS owns the feature film rights so he can do this on his own via his Studio JMS. As for progress, we know it's gone from intending to 'write the script' to intending to 'finish the script' so we know that progress has been made despite how busy he is.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
        While JMS has said that he'll give WB the chance to be involved (read: cough up some money (IMO, of course)), it's not up to them at all. JMS owns the feature film rights so he can do this on his own via his Studio JMS. As for progress, we know it's gone from intending to 'write the script' to intending to 'finish the script' so we know that progress has been made despite how busy he is.

Jan

Really? He's mentioned the script fairly recently? I don't have home internet, haven't for like 6 months or so, so pretty outta the loop. *sad face*

I'm still half terrified of what will happen if it does get made, but my other half wants it to happen more than anything!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
          Really? He's mentioned the script fairly recently? I don't have home internet, haven't for like 6 months or so, so pretty outta the loop. *sad face*

I'm still half terrified of what will happen if it does get made, but my other half wants it to happen more than anything!!!
          It was at the tail end of a mostly-SENSE8 interview. All he said was that he intended to *finish* the script later this year (this was probably Sept, I think). But as far as we know, he's deeply embroiled in writing season two of SENSE8.

I posted to his FB page asking for an update in the Straczynski-verse several days ago but no answer so far.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I was hoping due to the W's desire to take a break that JMS would be able to focus some on B5. I haven't searched for any new information and don't know how long the W's "break" was intended to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastastu View Post
              I was hoping due to the W's desire to take a break that JMS would be able to focus some on B5. I haven't searched for any new information and don't know how long the W's "break" was intended to be.
              Pretty sure they had several months between post-production on Sense8 and starting the writing for season two. They definitely weren't visible for any publicity for Sense8.

From what JMS has described as the way he writes, it doesn't sound as though he only concentrates on one thing at a time. He'll reach a point where he needs to work something out in the script he's working on, switch to something else while his back brain works on that first one, and so on. I've never known if that's the secret to his being so prolific or not, but probably.

Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Vorlon_Stacy View Post
                Thank you, Ubik!
                Well, yes, the version we got really seems much better! The description of the seasons seems quite boring, but the last part, BABYLON PRIME, seems really interesting. To my mind, it would have been much better to set a base for the Interstellar Alliance on a neutral territory and not on a specific planet, so the B4 in the original version suited quite well the purpose. However, if JMS wanted the Alliance to remain on the neutral territory, I suppose in the actual version he could have let the Alliance's headquarters stay on B5 instead of moving them to the Mimbar. And as it didn’t do so, this means he didn’t want to. While in the actual version the B4 served a much more interesting target being moved to the past.
                It's also interesting to see some of the David’s possible storyline in the original version.
                Also, it seems according to the review that there was not gonna be a big love story between Denenn and Sinclair (it seems more like merely fulfilling the prophesy), as it was between Delenn and Sheridan, as I can't imagine why Delenn and Sheridan would have decided to separate, while Delenn and Sinclair did.

And this notion seems quite funny:
                "Final scene is Sinclair, retired, alone on an otherwise uninhabited world....fishing. "

Anyway, I think what we got is definitely better.
                You could perhaps argue in some respects the original outline would be easier to work into a film though. The TV show seemed to shift into something more linear with major events happening though out rather than building towards a small number of climaxs.

I would guess at best JMS could hope for a trilogy covering the main story so it would be a question of what works over the course of the plot of three 2-3 hour long films. There are really only so many plot points and climaxs you can have in that format I would say so some collapsing down or editing or material does seem like it would need to happen.
                Who are you?
                What do you want?
                What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

• Speculating on this kind of thing isn’t a usual pastime. But I’d be surprised if jms even attempts to tell the story in a series of movies. I’d imagine the movie (or a trilogy) would be used to set up the story and act as a springboard for a new television series. If the movies – which would set up characters, events, history, etc. - make a bit of money and interest, then I’m guessing that the hope is someone would bankroll a new tv (or maybe even streaming) series. I think it’s a mistake to imagine that his idea is to condense everything into 1, 2 or 3 isolated (and soon forgotten, in relative terms) movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                    Speculating on this kind of thing isn't a usual pastime. But I’d be surprised if jms even attempts to tell the story in a series of movies. I’d imagine the movie (or a trilogy) would be used to set up the story and act as a springboard for a new television series. If the movies – which would set up characters, events, history, etc. - make a bit of money and interest, then I’m guessing that the hope is someone would bankroll a new tv (or maybe even streaming) series. I think it’s a mistake to imagine that his idea is to condense everything into 1, 2 or 3 isolated (and soon forgotten, in relative terms) movies.
                    There's some good reasoning there.

At some point I see Netflix being enough of a media powerhouse to negotiate for the rights to B5 from WB, if they were so inclined. If Sense8 continues to do well, then I imagine there could be some kind of interest in a rebooted B5 on Netflix.

I've said it from the start of the FreeBabylon5 campaign that Netflix is where it's at. I still believe they might hold the keys to a possible future for the show. I mean, hell, they are rebooting Lost in Space!
                    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                      I’d imagine the movie (or a trilogy) would be used to set up the story and act as a springboard for a new television series. If the movies – which would set up characters, events, history, etc. - make a bit of money and interest, then I’m guessing that the hope is someone would bankroll a new tv (or maybe even streaming) series. I think it’s a mistake to imagine that his idea is to condense everything into 1, 2 or 3 isolated (and soon forgotten, in relative terms) movies.
                      Speaking of things I don't usually do...Here's my real concern about the movie: That it ends up being another 'Serenity'. While I'm sure that in the long run it made back it's money, nobody could pretend that it was a resounding success. And yet it seemed to my mind to do everything right to reach the fans. It was soon enough after the show was on that many people would remember it. There was the lead-in comic. I saw a lot of fan 'buzz' and a very passionate fan base. I saw a fair amount of advertising. And Joss Whedon is a pretty well-known name. The only thing that I thought was a miss was that it didn't have 'Firefly' in the film name.

B5 has been out of sight for 15 years. Would WB allow a lead-in comic? Would it help or hurt to call itself 'Babylon 5'? If WB doesn't come on board, it won't be able to be shown on TV judging from what JMS said in the announcement. Would DVD/BR sales be a possibility? I don't know.

I have complete faith that JMS would write a great script and make a hell of a movie. It's all those other factors that worry me some. And I hate being one of those 'I'm worried...' folks.

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                      There's some good reasoning there.

At some point I see Netflix being enough of a media powerhouse to negotiate for the rights to B5 from WB, if they were so inclined. If Sense8 continues to do well, then I imagine there could be some kind of interest in a rebooted B5 on Netflix.

I've said it from the start of the FreeBabylon5 campaign that Netflix is where it's at. I still believe they might hold the keys to a possible future for the show. I mean, hell, they are rebooting Lost in Space!
                      Not sure that rebooting Lost in Space is a good recommendation but it would be nice if they could wrest B5 away from WB.

Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Not sure that rebooting Lost in Space is a good recommendation but it would be nice if they could wrest B5 away from WB.
                        Jan
                        I too found this a somewhat puzzling choice of shows to bring back from the grave.
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                          I too found this a somewhat puzzling choice of shows to bring back from the grave.
                          Probably a 50th anniversary thing. Let's hope we don't have to wait till B5 is 50!!

Jan

Comment

• To be fair, Serenity is pretty disappointing. It throws out everything people loved about the show (the Wild West atmosphere, the sense of family) and then effectively destroys the future of the series by killing off two characters for no reason. It doesn't matter what Joss Whedon did to promote it when even the actors don't seem that happy with the film. There's very little there for a new audience to get excited about.

Of course, that was before geek culture exploded as a market. Nowadays, you could probably make a lot of money with a Firefly movie based on nostalgia alone.

But Babylon 5... to be honest, much as I love it, there seems to be a real antagonism towards B5 from large sections of the geek demographic, so I'm not sure you could rely on that. Critics would probably be mostly hostile, too. So it's really tricky, and a TV series would be a better solution. But obviously that is almost impossible to get off the ground at the moment.

So here's hoping.
                            Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

• I love Serenity. I wish characters hadn't died, but at the same time I feel it added a unique quality. I mean how many impossible situations can EVERY character survive. Now I will say that they could have done a better job in how they chose to kill them off.

Everything about a B5 movie is tricky. Honestly I feel JMS has to forget about it making money in U.S. theaters. I am not saying it won't, but the odds are heavily stacked against it no matter what. The only place it has a chance to make real movie money is overseas and in home video sales. That is where many movies make their money, so he's probably going to be okay. I heard just a couple months ago that Expendables 4 was a go because they secured distribution in China. I am sure there are MANY Chinese B5 fans who can't wait to see a feature film.
                              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                                To be fair, Serenity is pretty disappointing. It throws out everything people loved about the show (the Wild West atmosphere, the sense of family) and then effectively destroys the future of the series by killing off two characters for no reason. It doesn't matter what Joss Whedon did to promote it when even the actors don't seem that happy with the film. There's very little there for a new audience to get excited about.

Of course, that was before geek culture exploded as a market. Nowadays, you could probably make a lot of money with a Firefly movie based on nostalgia alone.

But Babylon 5... to be honest, much as I love it, there seems to be a real antagonism towards B5 from large sections of the geek demographic, so I'm not sure you could rely on that. Critics would probably be mostly hostile, too. So it's really tricky, and a TV series would be a better solution. But obviously that is almost impossible to get off the ground at the moment.

So here's hoping.
                                Really Serenity was only ever targeting the existing Firefly fan market, add in as you say it dumped many of the strengths of that series and IMHO was overly cluttered as well including rather weak character deaths and I think its failure was understandable. In a way you could argue JMS is in an easier position with B5 in that he knows he likely cannot depend on the existing fanbase to carry a film.

Originally posted by Triple F
                                Speculating on this kind of thing isn’t a usual pastime. But I’d be surprised if jms even attempts to tell the story in a series of movies. I’d imagine the movie (or a trilogy) would be used to set up the story and act as a springboard for a new television series. If the movies – which would set up characters, events, history, etc. - make a bit of money and interest, then I’m guessing that the hope is someone would bankroll a new tv (or maybe even streaming) series. I think it’s a mistake to imagine that his idea is to condense everything into 1, 2 or 3 isolated (and soon forgotten, in relative terms) movies.
                                Its possible I spose and I think it does throw up a very obvious potential direction a film could go in the Earth/Minbari war. That gives you an epic action setting but also means your free of having to include the complexities of Babylon 5 itself.

An interesting direction could be to actually show both sides of the conflict, you could argue Delenn or a similar character would be a more interesting story than Sinclair during the war.
                                Who are you?
                                What do you want?
                                What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Working...
                                X