No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks a lot, Ubik! However, it's not really clear...
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    But what I want to do is use the original cast one way or the other and move a few things around. I d love to see Bruce as President of the Earth Alliance; that would be the perfect role for him.
    The question is, will this be an alternative B5 reality or the same reality with the old characters? Will someone else play Sheridan while Bruce plays the President of the Earth Alliance? (I really hope, not..) Or will there be no Sheridan at all and there will be someone else instead of him? Will Bruce play one of the presidents of the Earth Alliance we have already seen (Santiago, Clark?) (hope not) or some other alternative President?
    However, from the last paragraph it really seems there are going to be the same familiar characters played by other actors: Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, GKar, Garibaldi, etc... Maybe it's not that bad, but still I'd rather hope for an alternative B5 reality with everyone new...

Comment

• Originally posted by Vorlon_Stacy View Post
      Thanks a lot, Ubik! However, it's not really clear...

The question is, will this be an alternative B5 reality or the same reality with the old characters? Will someone else play Sheridan while Bruce plays the President of the Earth Alliance? (I really hope, not..) Or will there be no Sheridan at all and there will be someone else instead of him? Will Bruce play one of the presidents of the Earth Alliance we have already seen (Santiago, Clark?) (hope not) or some other alternative President?
      However, from the last paragraph it really seems there are going to be the same familiar characters played by other actors: Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, GKar, Garibaldi, etc... Maybe it's not that bad, but still I'd rather hope for an alternative B5 reality with everyone new...
      As far as I can discern, Bruce would not be Sheridan, he's now too old for the role. That is if there even is a Sheridan in the reboot!

I don't have time to ferret it out, but I feel sure JMS said that there would be the same general roles, ie. Narn ambassador, Centauri ambassador, security chief, captain, etc, but that they wouldn't necessarily be Londo, or G'Kar, etc... It would be a full reboot, and whilst we would recongnise key things from the original this could be different.

I don't think he'd be interested in telling the exact same story again. But that just my own feeling. Guess we'll have to wait and see. And the film happening is still a big 'IF'.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        As far as I can discern, Bruce would not be Sheridan, he's now too old for the role.
        Yes, that's clear (if the years are still the late 50th-early 60th, while if late 70th- early 80th - then why not?)
        That is if there even is a Sheridan in the reboot!
        That is actually a good question, and since it won't be played by Bruce, I hope Sheridan isn't there at all (the same for the other main characters).
        I don't have time to ferret it out, but I feel sure JMS said that there would be the same general roles, ie. Narn ambassador, Centauri ambassador, security chief, captain, etc, but that they wouldn't necessarily be Londo, or G'Kar, etc...
        It would be good to see an alternative reality!
        And the film happening is still a big 'IF'.
        Let's hope it happens

Comment

• I do always wonder if JMS might revert back to some of the original story arc that would have existed if Michael O'Hare / Sinclair had remained the commanding officer of B5. What we got was definitely more interesting, Valen, etc... but it could be cool to see slight, perhaps even radical, diversions from established B5 lore and timelines.

Comment

I don't have time to ferret it out, but I feel sure JMS said that there would be the same general roles, ie. Narn ambassador, Centauri ambassador, security chief, captain, etc, but that they wouldn't necessarily be Londo, or G'Kar, etc... It would be a full reboot, and whilst we would recongnise key things from the original this could be different.
            I don't recall seeing anything like that. Best I recall is the post where JMS talked about his view of a reboot when talking about the TV series that fell through. About the most detail in that was that there wouldn't be a physical G'Kar character.

http://jmsnews.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=139

Originally posted by Originally Posted by JMS
            Take G'Kar, for instance. In my notes, there is no new character named G'Kar because for my money, no one else can ever BE G'Kar, so G'Kar is a religious figure, a legend, not unlike G'Quon.
            Originally posted by Originally Posted by JMS
            Despite what some folks say, the fact is that saying "reboot" is like saying "science fiction," it means what you're pointing at, and there are all kinds of permutations of what that means. It (and remember we're talking about something that is not currently on the boards) can't be a straight-ahead sequel because the market can't sustain it when the show hasn't been on the air in the US in over a decade. That's never, ever going to fly. It can't be called Babylon 5 if there isn't a place called Babylon 5, so the station has to be in existence, otherwise you can't use that name. You could do a show about the telepath war, but you couldn't call it Babylon 5 unless there's a Babylon 5 there, otherwise it'll confuse the hell out of new audiences (oh, that's named for a station that used to be there in another series you never saw).

The challenge I set for myself in this is very simple: knowing what I know now, having grown a lot as a writer since 1992 (or for that matter the late 80s when I started writing the pilot), having the experience of the original show in what worked and what didn't, and with all the technology available to us now that wasn't there in 1992, if I were to put the show together right now, what would it look like? That, for my money, is what a reboot is
            So all we've got is that JMS wants to use the original actors as other characters and that he still seems to be sticking with what he said earlier that nobody would ever play G'Kar again.

Some people are thinking that JMS might go back to the outline that we saw in Volume 15 of the script books where Sinclair stayed all 5 years but that seems to me to be ignoring that it's a feature film, not a series. (Oops, I see that Ubik brought that up! )

Me, I think that JMS will probably come up with something completely different from anything we might expect! Cause that's what he does.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I do always wonder if JMS might revert back to some of the original story arc that would have existed if Michael O'Hare / Sinclair had remained the commanding officer of B5. What we got was definitely more interesting, Valen, etc... but it could be cool to see slight, perhaps even radical, diversions from established B5 lore and timelines.
              I totally agree that what we got was really interesting and when I was watching WWE I had a feeling as if the Sinclair/Valen story had been meant to be there from the beginning, it was such a cool idea.
              But yes, it would be interesting to know the alternative version, especially what would have happened in WWE if Sinclair had remained the commanding officer of B5... As JMS said he had made a draft for the WWE while writing the Babylon Squared script, what had he been planning to do with Sinclair? Would he have still become Valen and travelled to the past or would he have remained on B5 and stayed with Delenn? I read somewhere that Delenn would have travelled to the past later to join Siclair (already Valen), but I don't remember where I read it, may be it was just some fan's idea... Please correct me if I'm wrong.
              Speaking about the alternatives, what I would also like to know is what would have happened if Sheridan hadn't gone to Z'ha'dum...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                Some people are thinking that JMS might go back to the outline that we saw in Volume 15 of the script books where Sinclair stayed all 5 years
                Where can I read more about it?

Comment

Where can I read more about it?
                  As the Vol.15 script books go for silly money, here's a rough synopsis a fan posted on the Trek BBS:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=53739

Comment

• Thank you, Ubik!
                    Well, yes, the version we got really seems much better! The description of the seasons seems quite boring, but the last part, BABYLON PRIME, seems really interesting. To my mind, it would have been much better to set a base for the Interstellar Alliance on a neutral territory and not on a specific planet, so the B4 in the original version suited quite well the purpose. However, if JMS wanted the Alliance to remain on the neutral territory, I suppose in the actual version he could have let the Alliance's headquarters stay on B5 instead of moving them to the Mimbar. And as it didn’t do so, this means he didn’t want to. While in the actual version the B4 served a much more interesting target being moved to the past.
                    It's also interesting to see some of the David’s possible storyline in the original version.
                    Also, it seems according to the review that there was not gonna be a big love story between Denenn and Sinclair (it seems more like merely fulfilling the prophesy), as it was between Delenn and Sheridan, as I can't imagine why Delenn and Sheridan would have decided to separate, while Delenn and Sinclair did.

And this notion seems quite funny:
                    "Final scene is Sinclair, retired, alone on an otherwise uninhabited world....fishing. "

Anyway, I think what we got is definitely better.
                    Last edited by Vorlon_Stacy; 10-27-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Also, it seems according to the review that there was not gonna be a big love story between Denenn and Sinclair (it seems more like merely fulfilling the prophesy), as it was between Delenn and Sheridan, as I can't imagine why Delenn and Sheridan would have decided to separate, while Delenn and Sheridan did.
                      I think one of those Sheridans was supposed to be Sinclair? Yeah, it seemed that Delenn in the outline stayed much more Minbari than the one we saw in the show. I'm not sure which I prefer, really. It would have been kind of nice to see aliens with truly alien outlooks.

Anyway, I think what we got is definitely better.
                      Probably. But a 7-page outline of *ten years* of story is hard to judge. I'm happy with what we got, though.

BTW, Vorlon_Stacy, it looks like you may have run into our forum glitch already where posts get cut off? DougO's been trying for ages and vBulletin can seem to fix it. I think it's usually triggered by punctuation, for some reason. If you see a post get munched, use your 'back' arrow' and copy your post then edit the munched post. It's a pain but it works and keeps frustration down.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

BTW, Vorlon_Stacy, it looks like you may have run into our forum glitch already where posts get cut off? DougO's been trying for ages and vBulletin can seem to fix it. I think it's usually triggered by punctuation, for some reason. If you see a post get munched, use your 'back' arrow' and copy your post then edit the munched post. It's a pain but it works and keeps frustration down. Jan
                        Thanks, Jan I've noticed it happened when I put a space after an apostrophe. So I don't do it anymore, hope it works.

Comment

I think one of those Sheridans was supposed to be Sinclair? Yeah, it seemed that Delenn in the outline stayed much more Minbari than the one we saw in the show. I'm not sure which I prefer, really. It would have been kind of nice to see aliens with truly alien outlooks.
                          Yeah, sorry, the second one was Sinclair. I've corrected it in my previous post now.
                          I think I like more a more human Delenn. However, I suppose the relationships between Delenn and Sheridan in the actual version and the relationships between Delenn and Sinclair in the original version depended not only on Delenn but on her partner as well. I liked much the Delenn/Sheridan love story, while I'm not sure I would've liked that much the Delenn/Sinclair's one. I don't know how to explain it, Sinclair somehow seems more alienated (well, I can't actually find the right word), more Mimbari-like, so the idea of Sinclair/Valen transformation was really good. So maybe Sinclair matched better a more alien Delenn, while Sheridan matches better a more human Delenn that we actually got from the season 2.

Comment

• WHY ISN'T THE SCRIPT DONE YET?!?!?!?!?! (Sorry, I just wanted to say something.)
                            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
                              WHY ISN'T THE SCRIPT DONE YET?!?!?!?!?! (Sorry, I just wanted to say something.)
                              For all you know, it is. You think JMS is gonna report in to us every step of the way? Oh, I know he should...but I've resigned myself to the fact that he won't. Same as he won't send me drafts of everything he writes as he writes it. Silly man....

Jan

Comment

• Would be nice to get an update on progress. Maybe it is written (first draft at least) and there will be no announcements until Warner Bros. make a decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X