• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
    JANNNNNNN ! ! ! Make him start saying "The script is done."
    Must never rush the artist, Looney.

Anyway, he's bigger'n me!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post

Anyway, he's bigger'n me!

Jan
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! So true, So true. I've seen a #FREEBABYLON5 photo that proves it.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by Looney View Post
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! So true, So true. I've seen a #FREEBABYLON5 photo that proves it.
        Yeah, I love that picture, if only for the contrast. Believe it or not, I've had people think that he and I were the same person based on the fact that we have the same initials.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Since no one's around and I don't wanna be all nelly. I'll just edit and delete my worry post. Though I did save it, just in case.

Um Huzzah for 1992. Wish I could go back there!!!!!!
          Last edited by Delenn_of_Mir; 06-21-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
            Since no one's around and I don't wanna be all nelly. I'll just edit and delete my worry post. Though I did save it, just in case.

I wouldn't shy away from having an opinion! I saw nothing wrong with the post, if you're unsure about a new B5 film / reboot... then fair play. Each to their own.

If JMS does go back to B5, I really doubt it'll have much in common with his work on Sense8. If anything, I think it'll be something interesting, at the very least. The original series will always be there, intact and awesome.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• I didn't see anything wrong with the post, either. I just didn't have a response that amounted to anything better than 'I don't agree'. But if you'd like to discuss why you're worried, that could be fun.

Jan

Comment

• Same sentiment as Jan... it's not like there's exactly a roaring trade in B5 based conversation of late. I flip flop in terms of what I think of a reboot / film, but I love B5 enough to want to see more.
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Bring on the sock puppets or anything that is B5 related!

Here's to JMS continued successful ventures, and to a couple of disappointments - Forbidden Planet and The Flickering Light.

"G'Quon wrote, There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.
                  The war we fight is not against powers and principalities – it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender."

Here's to that shining beacon in space.
                  Last edited by DaveNarn; 06-22-2015, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Since no one's around and I don't wanna be all nelly. I'll just edit and delete my worry post. Though I did save it, just in case.

It did make me um, not really finding the right word as I wouldn't say concerned. I guess it was more that JMS commented that it was being done. He was writing it in 2015 and moving forward with producing it regardless of what WB's choice ended up being. So to go from something so definite to what sounded like a maybe was what kind of threw me.

Comment

• The Maybe is good news, to me. I don't really have words for the feelings I have, but I just don't think B5 works as a theatrical movie. It's too deep and needs far too much material to tell before it becomes amazing. i don't think JMS can take what made B5 so great and get even close to translating it to a 2, maybe 3 hour theatrical movie.

In the Beginning was pretty good, I admit, so maaaaaybe if he did something like that it could work. But the thought of Tom Cruise or any other big action stars in my B5 makes me ill.

But then my thing is that I looooooooove the tv series sooooo much that the idea of it being changed and characters recast is too emotional for me. I know it happens all the time. Usually I don't care because I never saw the original.

But B5 is personal to me, And I hate change anyway. I HATE change and automatically get super upset and defualt to hatred when anything changes. An aspie trait, I think. Then once I get used to the new I'm usually fine.

ETA: Unless the big star was Tom Hiddleston. He's actually really cool.

But yeah change is scary, and there are a million ways to ruin the show, and I'm not sure we'll get as lucky as we did the first time around with all the right people and the right circumstances there.

But still, I think there's a very small chance that a reboot theatrical movie could be anywhere as good as the tv series. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
                      Last edited by Delenn_of_Mir; 06-28-2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

The Maybe is good news, to me. I don't really have words for the feelings I have, ...

Hmmmm ! Tom Hiddleston as Mr Morden .... ???
                        Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

The Maybe is good news, to me. I don't really have words for the feelings I have, but I just don't think B5 works as a theatrical movie. It's too deep and needs far too much material to tell before it becomes amazing. i don't think JMS can take what made B5 so great and get even close to translating it to a 2, maybe 3 hour theatrical movie.

In the Beginning was pretty good, I admit, so maaaaaybe if he did something like that it could work. But the thought of Tom Cruise or any other big action stars in my B5 makes me ill.

But then my thing is that I looooooooove the tv series sooooo much that the idea of it being changed and characters recast is too emotional for me. I know it happens all the time. Usually I don't care because I never saw the original.

But B5 is personal to me, And I hate change anyway. I HATE change and automatically get super upset and defualt to hatred when anything changes. An aspie trait, I think. Then once I get used to the new I'm usually fine.

But yeah change is scary, and there are a million ways to ruin the show, and I'm not sure we'll get as lucky as we did the first time around with all the right people and the right circumstances there.

But still, I think there's a very small chance that a reboot theatrical movie could be anywhere as good as the tv series. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
                          I think you need to look at it like this, it doesn't change the original series or how much we all love it. We have no idea what JMS is going to do, but whatever he does doesn't change the original series, (unless he pulls a Ridley Scott and starts letting people know that things they love about the original series were never intended and all huge mistakes. ) But seriously, this is a whole different ballgame. If there is one thing I am pretty certain of it is this - the new Babylon 5 will be completely and totally different while being completely and totally the same. I think we all kind of know this. I mean it will likely have more edge to it and more than likely we won't see the same story, but we might see something close. If we can't have a continuation then I love that we could get a new Babylon 5 parallel universe. The only thing that makes me sad about it is that we can't see all the same actors telling us the new story, but that's life . . . and oh yeah I really wish we had a definite date for release and that date was today.
                          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
                            Hmmmm ! Tom Hiddleston as Mr Morden .... ???
                            Tom would make a brilliant Morden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really the first Morden was already brilliant.

But if we had to have a second one I wouldn't mind him.

[QUOTE=Looney] I think you need to look at it like this, it doesn't change the original series or how much we all love it. We have no idea what JMS is going to do, but whatever he does doesn't change the original series, (unless he pulls a Ridley Scott and starts letting people know that things they love about the original series were never intended and all huge mistakes. ) But seriously, this is a whole different ballgame. If there is one thing I am pretty certain of it is this - the new Babylon 5 will be completely and totally different while being completely and totally the same. I think we all kind of know this. I mean it will likely have more edge to it and more than likely we won't see the same story, but we might see something close. If we can't have a continuation then I love that we could get a new Babylon 5 parallel universe. The only thing that makes me sad about it is that we can't see all the same actors telling us the new story, but that's life . . . and oh yeah I really wish we had a definite date for release and that date was today. [Quote/]

Yeah, I know we'll still have all that came before, but anything new changes B5 as a whole and it won't be the same as it once was. And if the new sucks then the whole will be lessened and it just won't feel the same or be the same. And that'll be sad.

Now Serenity was pretty cool, but that was just a continuation. And new trek, well the first one was okay, but that's only because I'm not a huge trekkie. I'm sure if I was a trekkie I would have hated it muchly. I did think Zachary Quinto did a good job as nuSpock though. And JJ's a hack. But that's star trek, not B5. Trek is much much easier to do movies for since every eppy is pretty much a small screen movie.

Joe's one-off eppies were never as good as his arc stuff, and in my opinion, if B5 was only the one-off's it would have kinda sucked. it needed all the depth and connectedness to make it work. But with a movie you have to be able to create a full plot that's good for the entire movie, and not just for the final ten minutes.

Comment

Yeah, I know we'll still have all that came before, but anything new changes B5 as a whole and it won't be the same as it once was. And if the new sucks then the whole will be lessened and it just won't feel the same or be the same. And that'll be sad.
                              I honestly don't understand that statement. How can anything change what already exists? How could it not be the same as it was? We're not talking about a glass of milk with chocolate syrup added that can't be removed, we're talking about a physical, unchanging property.

I see people say things like this all the time and I really don't get it. Can you put it in other words, maybe?

Not being argumentative, I'd like to be able to understand even if I don't agree.

Jan

Comment

• First off I don’t share the view which Delenn of Mir is expressing, I’m more of the opinion that Looney and others have stated, and prefer a wait and see approach.

However I fully appreciate that we don’t all view things in the same way – and D of M will correct me on this if I’m misrepresenting what is being said. But Babylon 5 is a complete package made up of the television show, the tele movies, the comics and the novels along with the later spin offs, and even the explanations and additional material provided by jms through his various online replies and published script books are part of that. Over the years they’ve become little bits of the same unbroken continuity – not just in the story sense but in the way some view them. Separate glimpses into different periods of time, showing different events in the same familiar ‘verse help make it more real and immersive. So a new Babylon 5 reboot, simply by existing, starkly clashes with that. The comfortable and familiar idea of an established ‘verse where if it says Babylon 5 on the title you’ll know it fits in with everything else no longer exists. You now have old Babylon 5 and new Babylon 5 – and to some this will basically be viewed as a kind of betrayal on the part of jms. The informal covenant between him as the creator of a unified interconnected ‘verse and all the characters and events within in it, and the viewers which have become invested in it has been broken, and it’s if somehow all that has gone before is deficient in some way.

Like I said, I don’t view it in anything like those terms, but going by what I’ve read some fans have become really invested in the show, it’s important to them for one reason or another at a deeply personal level, and part of how that formed is how all the different parts fitted together.

Delenn of Mir will probably now totally slag me off for saying that and recommend I change my meds. But I can imagine that some really won’t like the idea of a reboot, even if old Babylon 5 obviously still exists. The other thing is that by creating new Babylon 5 it basically confirms that the old will have nothing new added to it… so that story – and everything contained within it - is now closed, not to be visited again.
                                Last edited by Triple F; 06-29-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X