No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it's definitely going to need more than the existing fan base. I think Serenity, the Firefly movie taught us that, even as motivated as all of those fans are/were. It's definitely a hurdle that will have to be overcome since the big SF movies that JMS has written (Silver Surfer, Forbidden Planet, Lensman) all seem to have fallen into development hell and not escaped.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Guardians Of The Galaxy cost a lot to make - and I wonder how much of that went into just advertising?
      Except to comic book geeks, this was a pretty obscure story but it did well with a worldwide gross of over $774 million.

..so maybe with the current Batman, Superman, Spiderman fatigue..a B5 Movie stands a chance of being another dark horse.
      Last edited by DaveNarn; 03-30-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Yeah, it's definitely going to need more than the existing fan base. I think Serenity, the Firefly movie taught us that, even as motivated as all of those fans are/were. It's definitely a hurdle that will have to be overcome since the big SF movies that JMS has written (Silver Surfer, Forbidden Planet, Lensman) all seem to have fallen into development hell and not escaped.

Jan
        A B5 film would have the advantage though that whilst the existing fan base won't turn a profit they will be an insurance policy against it totally bombing. A lot of the time I think that's what Hollywood is actually after with these existing properties, making sure you don't have a Pluto Nash on your hands.

A big factor with budget as well I'd imagine is the kind of cast your looking at. One thing that actually strikes me is that if the film were based on the Earth/Minbari war or flashbacks to it thats very much the territory of a certain Mr Cruise, Alien invasions with a bit of mystery around the protagonist have been his speciality in recent years. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a lead but it would doubtless make getting the budget much easier if he were.
        Who are you?
        What do you want?
        What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

• Originally posted by moreorless View Post
          One thing that actually strikes me is that if the film were based on the Earth/Minbari war or flashbacks to it thats very much the territory of a certain Mr Cruise, Alien invasions with a bit of mystery around the protagonist have been his speciality in recent years. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a lead but it would doubtless make getting the budget much easier if he were.
          And immediately increase the budget by another 100 million. I don't know what Cruise gets paid these days but I think he would be more drain than draw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastastu View Post
            And immediately increase the budget by another 100 million. I don't know what Cruise gets paid these days but I think he would be more drain than draw.
            $200 million with Cruise would I'd imagine be easier to raise than $100 million without a big star, again not that I'm really pushing for him although I could see him playing a Sinclair like character.
            Who are you?
            What do you want?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastastu View Post
              At least, that way, people would go see it!

And yes, there's not a massive 'built in' audience like Marvel or Trek films. I think the B5 film will have to be bloody good to do well at the box office. Even if it is absolutely great, that's still no guarantee of success these days.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Tom Cruise seems to be the guy who is always on the red carpet, and he knows how to play the crowds.

He does sci-fi well, Edge Of Tommorrow and Oblivian for example and he knows how to make an entertaining movie franchise with Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation due out July 31, 2015

He would be a good station commander or maybe a better Garibaldi?

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                  Tom Cruise seems to be the guy who is always on the red carpet, and he knows how to play the crowds.

He does sci-fi well, Edge Of Tommorrow and Oblivian for example and he knows how to make an entertaining movie franchise with Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation due out July 31, 2015

He would be a good station commander or maybe a better Garibaldi?
                  He would most likely need to star, again he wouldn't be my first choice but honestly I could see him playing a character close to Sinclair, especially if the tension round similar potential involvement in the Minbari is played up. Cruise these days isn't so easy to buy as a standard hero but he plays a strung out/desperate well IMHO.

As you say Cruise and sci fi go together a lot, besides those two you have War of the Worlds and Minority Report.
                  Who are you?
                  What do you want?

Comment

• If Tom Cruise, arguably the biggest movie star on the planet, is fair game, why stop there?

Sinclair: Harrison Ford
                    Sheridan: Tom Cruise
                    Garibaldi: Bruce Willis
                    Ivanova: Angelina Jolie
                    Franklin: Will Smith ("You're gonna let your kid die? Aww, hell naw!")
                    G'Kar: Johnny Depp
                    Delenn: Natalie Portman
                    Londo: Tom Hanks

This could work ...
                    Last edited by sarthaz; 04-02-2015, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
                      If Tom Cruise, arguably the biggest movie star on the planet, is fair game, why stop there?

Sinclair: Harrison Ford
                      Sheridan: Tom Cruise
                      Garibaldi: Bruce Willis
                      Ivanova: Angelina Jolie
                      Franklin: Will Smith ("You're gonna let your kid die? Aww, hell naw!")
                      G'Kar: Johnny Depp
                      Delenn: Natalie Portman
                      Londo: Tom Hanks

This could work ...
                      I think your locked into the mindset of previous B5 personally, if your talking a $100 million film then at least one big name actor is certainly not that unrealistic and as has been pointed out Cruise does have a history with Sci fi.

Personally I tend to find films/TV that look to create a self contained world most effective with a lesser known cast who can inhabit the roles but stars are a big part of why a lot of films get made.
                      Who are you?
                      What do you want?

Comment

• Lets play the 'casting game' a little differently.

Take actors from B5 and Crusade and recast them to a different part. Assume that they would look the same as when we last saw them in the B5 universe. Feel free to mix and match genders if you feel that the part could be played effectively. And post why.

So as to not get overwhelming, only one at a time.

I'll start:

David Allen Brooks (Max Eilerson on Crusade) recast as Garibaldi
                        - because he played Eilerson so well, I think he could really portray Garibaldi with all of his cynicism but also play a vulnerable side of Garibaldi's insecurities and alcoholism sympathetically.

Who's next?

Jan
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• I'll wade into the shallow-end with Daniel Dae Kim as Zack Allen.

Kim brought a complex undertone to Matheson's smooth surface. He was a good second to Gideon in Crusade and could take on the job as Chef Of Security after Garibaldi was gone - even as a none telepath.

I also toyed with the idea of Kim as Londo, but that would mean bringing his perfomance from 'Lost' and I don't think we are allowed to cross-the-streams

Comment

• Swap Neroon / John Vickery with a technomage -

Michael Ansara / Elric or Peter Woodward / Galen.

I had the privilege of seeing John Vickery play a roman general at the Ontario Stratford Festival, and it was a real challenge to get the image of Neroon out of my head.

Comment

• NO ANGELINA JOLIE ! ! !

I would LOVE to Cruise tackle Garibaldi, but I don't think he would do it for a franchise film.

I would love to see Kim as Londo because of the range it would demonstrate. I don't think Sinclair would be enough of a stretch.

Now Jan's recasting game. (I'll do one person at a time, but not one role. )

Mira Furlan - Bester, Sinclair, Ivanova, Londo, Morden, Lyta/Talia or really push the envelope and make her Garibaldi. Lesser roles -Clark, Technomage, Zathras, Captain of any visiting Earthforce vessel, ISN Anchor, and I could go on. Sorry Jan. Just be glad I kept it to one person. I had several typed before I went back and saw your one at a time rule.
                              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• Richard Moll who played Max in 'Hunter Prey' as Ta'Lon.

Of course he would be a Narn also.

Comment

Working...
                                X