No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Movie through Studio JMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much as it's fun to speculate, we'll probably be waiting at least 2-3 years before we see anything. The time it's going to take for financing to be agreed, casting to be done and cameras to roll will probably mean we'll be waiting quite some time before we see anything. And that's IF the film can attract the backing it needs to get made.

For now, I'm content that the possibility is there and we may get more B5 in some newfangled form.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
      This is kind of leaning into "if he doesn't do the exact same scripts it's not really B5" territory. Why bother if that's the case? It's Joe's show, Joe doing anything is Babylon 5 because it all came from his head in the first place.
      I'm not leaning towards that at all. I'm asking for a continuation from what happened, I don't want it to be finished. However, JMS, quite up front and candidly, said that that is unfeasable and foolish. I actually agree with his assessment. It makes no sense to continue from something so long ago.

I just don't have to like that fact.

Whatever he makes, I will see, in the theater. I'm just griping about details.

Redoing the same stories is really not a good idea. Even with my limited capabilities, I can see that.
      "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
      "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

• Originally posted by Marsden View Post

Whatever he makes, I will see, in the theater.
        Me too! But it would be nice if he could somehow marry-up the old with the new.

(...just as long as he doesn't BSG it... "Jeez, Sheridan, how are we gonna deal with all these motherfracking Minbari?" "I'm still carrying scars from the motherfracking war, Garibaldi, therefore I'm justified in teaching every motherfracking one of 'em a lesson, starting with Delenn!" [fits her with a ball-gag, ties her up, breaks out the whips and chains] "It's alright, Admiral Cain told me to do it!!!")

Just joking. No I'm not. Or am I? No.

Comment

• If Joe did 'BSG" it, Sheridan would be a woman and Delenn would follow the original storyline for the character. That would be schweet!

Reboot, remake, continuation, I don't care as long as it still feels like B5 universe. The B5 verse has a special emotionally fulfilling setting, and I want to feel that again.

I don't want to sit in the theatre and feel like I'm watching star trek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
            I want to feel that again. I don't want to sit in the theatre and feel like I'm watching star trek.
            (Big grin!)

Comment

• As long as JJ Abrams isn't allowed to even breathe the name "Babylon 5" we should be okay, though. He already has 2 franchises to ruin, we have the jms, who knows that we are about something. He knows B5 is not just some deep space franchise with explosions.

*lights a candle*

In JMS we trust.

Comment

• Michael Bay, directing.

No!!!!
                "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."

Comment

• Originally posted by Marsden View Post
                  Michael Bay, directing.

No!!!!
                  Now I am going to have nightmares tonight just because you mentioned it.

Now if we all could find a way to ignore that circumstance if it came to pass, it would make money. This is caused by the fact that apparently the masses just want to see what flash with no substance 'He Who's Name Should Not Be Spoken' can add to a franchise.
                  Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

• The news is gradually circulating.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...oMVV9hRvaXooBL
                    Babylon 5 to return in movie reboot, says J Michael Straczynski
                    By Hugh Armitage
                    Wednesday, Aug 13 2014, 11:41am EDT

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
                      The news is gradually circulating.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...oMVV9hRvaXooBL
                      Babylon 5 to return in movie reboot, says J Michael Straczynski
                      By Hugh Armitage
                      Wednesday, Aug 13 2014, 11:41am EDT
                      Yeah, I noted io9 also reported it, in a postive light too.

Comment

• Nothing new in this article. However, the article does indicate that the news is spreading to the main stream press.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1500090_1.html

'Babylon 5' to return in movie reboot
                        Press Trust of India | London
                        August 15, 2014 Last Updated at 07:50 IST

Comment

• io9 takes a look at previous sci-fi viral campaigns here -
                          http://io9.com/9-movies-that-made-mo...ral-1486481266

Makes me wonder what sort of campaign JMS has in mind for the B5 movie leading to it's release.
                          I hope backstory installments of the Minbari truce or early construction tales of B4 and B5.

Even a B5 movie portal on Studio JMS would be awesome.
                          Last edited by DaveNarn; 08-17-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• I have to admit that I'm in agreement with the first comment in the article DaveNarn linked to. I'm not at all interested in having to chase all over the place to get a full story and I trust that wouldn't be the case with whatever JMS does. Now if there are tangential elements not really relating to the story in the movie, fine. But if actual points that should be on the movie screen are to be found elsewhere, I'll be very disappointed. Not really worried, though. JMS has said many times that he believes in playing fair with the audience and I'd think that part of that would be making every part of the story available to everybody, not just those willing to chase around finding 'viral' clues.

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              I have to admit that I'm in agreement with the first comment in the article DaveNarn linked to. I'm not at all interested in having to chase all over the place to get a full story and I trust that wouldn't be the case with whatever JMS does. Now if there are tangential elements not really relating to the story in the movie, fine. But if actual points that should be on the movie screen are to be found elsewhere, I'll be very disappointed. Not really worried, though. JMS has said many times that he believes in playing fair with the audience and I'd think that part of that would be making every part of the story available to everybody, not just those willing to chase around finding 'viral' clues.

Jan
                              Agreed. If a film is good it shouldn't NEED viral marketing. Sure, a good imaginative marketing campaign is helpful, but word of mouth and critical reception have a lot of sway. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy. Most predicted it would be a hard sell, given the obscure cast of characters. Marve B-list at best! However, the trailers and interviews leading up to the release seem to have really solid it to audiences. Helps that the film, from what I've heard, is superb and lots of fun. (Must go see it this week!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                                I have to admit that I'm in agreement with the first comment in the article DaveNarn linked to. I'm not at all interested in having to chase all over the place to get a full story and I trust that wouldn't be the case with whatever JMS does. Now if there are tangential elements not really relating to the story in the movie, fine. But if actual points that should be on the movie screen are to be found elsewhere, I'll be very disappointed. Not really worried, though. JMS has said many times that he believes in playing fair with the audience and I'd think that part of that would be making every part of the story available to everybody, not just those willing to chase around finding 'viral' clues.

Jan
                                I wouldn't expect that from JMS. I hate when you see a movie that's a mess plotwise and some fool cheerfully interjects, "It's all explained in the comic book" Ugh. Yes I'm talking about JJtrek, but there are others. Prometheus had a lot of stuff online, but I don't think it was required to see the movie.

And, I just want to say over the weekend I was thinking about what I wanted to say about reboots in general. I couldn't think of the word I wanted to say, but I have it now, Mockery. It's mocking the original without being it. That bothers me. I have faith in JMS that he won't mock what was previously created, but any other creator in charge or new people take over a IP and that's what I've seen overwhelmingly. It's some thing that tries to wear the original like a coat but it's some dumbed down action garbage without any of the orginal's concepts. And chasing around websites and comic books for explanation of that mess I just saw does not help any.

Comment

Working...
                                X