Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shr'eshhhhhh
    replied
    Maybe Laurel went off to start a fair trade coffee plantation on Mars. I'd like to find out what happened to all the patients that Dr Franklyn had ever attempted to seduce over the years. We know Coco from fame didn't make it but what about the others. And did jinxo ever find the grail?
    Was it this that cured the Earth of the Drakh plague?

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    JMS didn't kill Takashima off.

jms: On a classified mission (which I hope we will be able to get into at some point), Laurel has been reassigned out on the Rim, and Dr. Kyle is now working with the EA President on the issue of alien migration to Earth, a growing problem to some, a benefit to others.
    The "kill her off" story is most likely a misreading of the discussion quoted below where JMS was talking about both the Takashima character and a character in Captain Power that he DID kill off when the actress resigned.

As to keeping around Laurel Takashima... believe me, I have every intention of doing so.
    The reason Pilot was killed off in C.P. was due to the actress's desire to take on some film roles and leave the show.
    So I decided, "Okay, if we're going to lose a character, let's not wimp out and have her transferred, let's kill her, but kill her in a dramatic way that changes not only the characters, but the nature of the show itself."
    Which is why, when she went, she took the whole base of operations of our main characters with
    her.
    Remember that ships sent to the RIM go out for Years at a time and don't come back until they run out of supplies or need major repairs.

95-12-01 03:45:08
    The reason Laurel Takashima/Tamlyn Tomita is not currently on the show is because the actress didn't feel really comfortable in the role of a military commander, and felt she might do better in other kinds of roles, such as that which came along about the same time in a major motion picture; she is now a highly-sought-after film performer.
    When she opted out, I went instantly after Julie Nickson, an asian actress to play Catherine Sakai, Sinclair's love interest, a recurring role in the show.

jms

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Satai Delenn
    I thought Laurel was on some secret mission but we never heard from her again it would have been nice had JMS mentioned her in the series or better yet seen.
    The actress was uncomfortable with the role, so JMS killed her off and went with someone else. Takeshima would have shot Garibaldi. Now that would have hit us upside the head...

Leave a comment:

• Satai Delenn
    replied
    I thought Laurel was on some secret mission but we never heard from her again it would have been nice had JMS mentioned her in the series or better yet seen.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    Whatever happened to... Laurel Takashima?
    The Shadows got her. Not even a reference in the series as a whole. maybe she pissed off Someone Big and they decided not to even leave the possibilty of a return?

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    She's the one who told about excavating the Shadow ship on Mars, wasn't she?
    Yes, but she didn't have a moderator hat (unlike some) and so we ignored her, to our ruin.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    I guess you didn't read my last post where I said it was too small of an issue to worry about, and that it should be put to bed. I agree with Malloy, arguing is hard and I want to stop.
    Arguing is hard? I never noticed!

I understand your point (that making statements is hard when people want to pick them apart and you are just being amiably communicative) but understand also that people like me also want to debate the trivia and sometimes don't know the difference.

So peace, my friend. For what it is worth, I agree with you, but won't argue the point!

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Just to put in my two cents, I thought that the tourist brochure comment was meant as humorous, and was in fact humorous. I cannot imagine how anyone could construe that as demeaning the original poster.

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Bunny...didn't Cavelos want that position to originally be filled by Talia? Or someone else?

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    Just to clarify, if there is any doubt, the image I was trying to invoke was of a long line of "Bad Guys" waiting patiently while Garibadl goes down the line introducing each one to some "Guest Star".

Just as Sinclair introduced the various religious leaders to Delenn...

And, for the record, I understood the "Tourist Brochure" remark as expanding on that image.

IE, I didn't (and Don't) think it was meant in a negative manner.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Whatever happened to... Laurel Takashima?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Jan, please read this thread from start again, and let me know if you truly believe this thread has gotten to the point where it would need to be locked. I don't see it that way whatsoever.

Don't need to. If I decide that the thread has gone toxic, it doesn't matter how many pleasant posts there are up to that point.

I sincerely suggest that the entire digression be dropped. Now. Completely. By everybody. It doesn't matter who said what, who did or didn't respond to whichever points or how anything is defined, understand?

Please go back to discussing other characters or leave the thread completely.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    Hold the fraggin' phone! I made my last post before I saw your edit where you attack me personally.Just where the hell did you get this??? This is so far off the mark it's laughable. I never, NEVER implied that bakana was naive, nor did I say bakana sounded like he was reading from a tourist brochure. These are YOUR words, not mine. I said it REMINDED me of actual dialog from Shadow Dancing where the tourists were in Down Below reading about it from a brochure. I also included a laughter smiley indicating humor. For the record, I thought bakanas quote was a good one, quite funny. How did you construe (or should I say MISconstrue) an accusation of naivete from that? Then you say I bring up tension while "prematurely attempting to end the discussion"?!Where, please tell me where you got the implication that I was trying to slip in the last word then quickly end the discussion so no one else could comment! Like that would work anyway! That's more than a little paranoid.

You know, I think I'll quote YOU:So if you feel empowered by taking personal cracks at me, knock yourself out.
    If I misread you then sorry. As for this remark:

But bakana, your dialog reminds me of the tourists sightseeing in Down Below, while reading from a brochure about the criminal element.

This clearly to me, implies a parallel to Bakanas and the tourist/brochure. You stated one "reminds you" of the other.

The Naive remark has its origins more in a general lack of knowledge.

naÀive or naÀ´ve ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-v, nõ-) also naÀif or naÀ´f (n-f, nõ)
    adj.

1. Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially:
    1. Simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.

In fact, that is the definition of the word!

Newcomers to an area are often unaware of what is what there. They read tourist brochures to get more info.

Thus tourists who read brochures are naive about the area/subject.

Tourist brochures, while containing useful information are also often slanted so as to cover the positive of an area and not bring up/accent the negative. Thus the belief that those who wholeheartedly believe them are to a degree naive.

I also don't believe that my posts have been half as offensive as you make them. I have stated you are wrong/I believed such, and attempted to give supporting facts. When I was wrong about Boggs, I admitted it.

While you have responded to some of my remarks you have totally ignored others. You have also posted that the tone has been going all in the wrong direction, and taken strong argument as personal attacks. You have repeatedly posted, then asked for the discussion to end. If that isn't intentional last wordism, it sure looks like it. Reread your posts. You state something, state something else, then desire for the conversation to end!!!

You have not addressed the well known fact that Garibaldi was numerous times stated to have known the station inside and out, and most if not all of the wrong people (as it is his job to watch/catch them).

Jan, please read this thread from start again, and let me know if you truly believe this thread has gotten to the point where it would need to be locked. I don't see it that way whatsoever.

I see a discussion over Garibaldi's knowledge, JMS introduction of characters and not much more. I also see one party who has "begged to authority" in an attempt to avoid acknowledging points that counteract his previous position.

As for personal attacks, counterpointing someone elses words, and describing them is not a personal attack. It is an attack on some statements. That is what discussion and debate is all about. I see one party avoiding issues, under a house of cards. The house consists of prematurely declaring the tone of the thread to be going the wrong way. Also at multiple times attempting to end the discussion instead of responding to valid points. When that failed, personal attacks was brought up in an indignant fashion that was totally unwarranted. Lets also include a dollop of histrionics, as shown in the last post.

And it appears to have worked, since now moderation has come up.

At no point was a personal attack, or a direct insult hurled from this party to the other. Nor was one intended.
    Last edited by NotKosh; 10-07-2004, 06:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan

Jan
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Dr. Kirkish from MfE...she probably returned to Earth after the civil war.

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X