Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
    There are a few problems here.

2. The European Union caught the studios and DVD player manufactures and told them that new players have to be able to play both NTSC and PAL formats.

3. NTSC TVs have fewer lines than PAL TVs and consequently cannot display the bottom of the picture.

4. VHS cassettes do not have a method of regional coding.
    Just to add a little more detail there, Within the region 2 community is Japan. Now the US and Japan share the same NTSC television sytem, so all R2 (PAL625 country) players HAVE to be able to play NTSC disks. It is not the ability to play NTSC DVDs that makes our machines special, it is the ease with which we can disable the region locking feature.

As an off-shoot of the difference in technical systems, the manifestation at this end (the equivalent to you losing the lower portion of your picture) is a jump in smooth pans across the screen. It is more noticable on different machines - my Sony and Panasonic machines don't really show it at all, whereas my mum's budget BUSH machine does show it quite badly on some disks (though not all - I might add)

As for VHS, up until very recently, the very fact of the format difference meant very little reason to buy US tapes over here. Now, however, most PAL televisions and VCRs over here can handle the switch with no problems.

Thought this may be of interest as backgound to your interesting points.
    http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
    Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
    47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Small companies can get away with things that big companies cannot. Also if the output is NTSC then they will probably count as NTSC machines.
      Take a look at what's out there- There's Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony and Toshiba models available that are all region and/or PAL converting.

Also, I again assert that there is nothing illegal about owning an all region/PAL to NTSC converting player here in the States.

From DVDDemystified.com FAQ-

Regional codes are entirely optional for the maker of a disc. Discs without region locks will play on any player in any country.

*snip*

Some players can be "hacked" using special command sequences from the remote control to switch regions or play all regions. Some players can be physically modified ("chipped") to play discs regardless of the regional codes on the disc. This usually voids the warranty, but is not illegal in most countries (since the only thing that requires player manufacturers to region-code their players is the CSS license; see 1.11).
      Things may be different in England, though from the research I did when I first looked into buying my own player a few years back, it looked like it was easier to get such a player over there than it is over here.
      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

1. The USA has laws against non-R1 non NTSC DVD players. Have a look at the small print of the US copyright and related acts.
        [/B]
        Can you site a specific reference? I wasn't aware there were any such laws here in the US. Region encoding is a marking tool and working around it isn't the same as, say, defeating the CSS encryption on the disc (which is illegal).

For region 2 discs, I play them on my Xbox. To play DVDs on the Xbox you must first buy the DVD remote control accessory ($25 USD). The region encoding for the console is actually set by the remote control. There are remote controls for each region and I bought mine from a vendor in the UK (region 2). One word of warning, the Xbox region is locked after the first time you play a movie with the remote control. My Xbox will not play region 1 discs now even if I were to purchase a region 1 remote control.

-DougO

Comment

Originally posted by DougO
          Can you site a specific reference? I wasn't aware there were any such laws here in the US. Region encoding is a marking tool and working around it isn't the same as, say, defeating the CSS encryption on the disc (which is illegal).
          Encryption and regional coding checkers are legally the same thing if you write a very generalised law.

Does marketing device = trick by the cartel to keep the Japanese and BBC out?

See
          http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
          and search for xbox
          Andrew Swallow

Comment

The Digital Millenium Copyright Act can be interpreted to mean that bypassing DVD region codes is a violation of encryption measures.
            Here's some old news:
            http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4637.cfm

I don't know it that has changed...

Also, I think that since the DMCA also prohibits the transmission, transfer, or posession of means of breaking encryption (remember the hoolabaloo about sites linking to DeCSS?) if they wanted to be obnoxious the simple fact of pointing out the existence of sites with DVD region hacks might be a violation!!
            But I think in the end the broad interpretation that linking to DeCSS was a crime was shot down on the courts.

Of course I'm not a lawyer, this is only the impression I get from some news reports...
            Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
            James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Working...
            X