No announcement yet.

JMSÆs recent posts got me thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing I loved about the series was the way it had so many different methods of hinting at and foreshadowing what was yet to pass. Time travel, prophecy, dreams etc.

If the B4 storyline is the only instance of time travel in the B5 universe it does seem odd to me.
    The creators of the great machine were powerful in their day, but I never got the feeling they were upto first one level technology. We live in a world were the theories behind and basic design for building a Nuclear Bomb is pretty much universally available. (it's just the expence etc that stops every nutjob from having one) If time travel is possible I'm sure the first ones must have the capablity to do it.

Maybe they tried it a bit but figured out it was to dangerous and drew up treaties forbidding it. Maybe early Vorlon temporal experiments were other instances of the mistakes Lyta refered to in Thirdspace?
    I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

Delenn said that the Minbari had some experience with time fields. Just nothing able to move a big space station.
      Andrew Swallow

Comment

Well, if the Great Maker (JMS) is familiar with time travel...perhaps he and Doctor Who can go back in time and "correct" the idiots who killed Crusade at TNT! At least they could make TNT HQ a big hole in the ground...

At the very least, perhaps time travel can resurrect Marcus, give the Centauri better haircuts, save an awful lot of innocent Narn, and explain the real reason why Michael O'Hare was replaced on B5.

Bruce B.'s character was VITAL to the show, but I've never figured out what might have happened if Sinclair hadn't gone to Minbar to become Valen-in-training. The genius of JMS's creation made the whole B4/World without end thing work out AFTER the first season had commited him to the story. What was he REALLY aiming at before the casting change?
        Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
        Kosovo: 1999, 2004
        New York City: September 11, 2001
        Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
        Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
        http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

Michael,

This has been discussed ad infinitum and JMS has given the definate true answer as to why O'Hare left.

Run a search and you'll find it.

WWE was not a correction of the timeline to fix the Sinclair issue. It was planned, but minor course corrections had to take place after BB came on board. JMS has stated that O'Hare leaving actually helped him out of a jam and made the story better overall.

CE
          Anthony Flessas
          Writer/Producer/Director,
          SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

JMS has stated that O'Hare leaving actually helped him out of a jam and made the story better overall.
            If I remember correctly, he said that he had realized that, during the Second Season, if he'd kept Sinclair around, Sinclair would have faded into the background and only had occasional appearances because the story needed to go in directions that the character of Sinclair wasn't the "Right" person for.
            He needed Sheridan to move the story, but hadn't quite realized earlier how far offstage he needed Sinclair to be.
            So, when the question of O'Hare spending some time on Broadway came up, the two of them sat down and kicked the story around for a while.
            I remember JMS once posting a comment that O'Hare made several excellent story suggestions at that time which affected the way Sinclair was used later.

Comment

Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh
              If the B4 storyline is the only instance of time travel in the B5 universe it does seem odd to me.
              The creators of the great machine were powerful in their day, but I never got the feeling they were upto first one level technology. We live in a world were the theories behind and basic design for building a Nuclear Bomb is pretty much universally available. (it's just the expence etc that stops every nutjob from having one) If time travel is possible I'm sure the first ones must have the capablity to do it.
              The general consensus is that the time rift exploited by the GM was a natural phenomenon localized to the Euphrates sector and so time travel on that scale was possible only where there was a combination of the natural rift/weakness AND the technology/machinery to exploit it.
              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

JMS has stated that the B4 storyline was the only time he intended to use time travel in his universe. To him using time travel is too akin to cute kids and robots.

CE
                Anthony Flessas
                Writer/Producer/Director,
                SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Realizing that it's been a year since JMS put the pot on about new B5 projects, I went back and read that post. Since then, he's added ingredients to the stew, but does anyone think the "other" project that isn't TMoS could be a miniseries on SFC a la Farscape? What if he could do a ten hour miniseries and finish up Crusade?

Here is part of what he said:

"The only thing I will say is that they're not print projects, so if you were to assume it's for TV or film you wouldn't be too far off...but that neither of them are series. And that's all I'm going
                  to say about them for now."

Well, he said neither are "series" but a miniseries is more like a really long movie than a series.

Thoughts?
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Z'ha'dumDweller, I certainly think it's possible! The mini-mini-series (4 hour) seems to be in vogue now. Now, a miniseries ala "Roots" or even "Centennial" in length would be really cool, too. Of course, I'll get excited about anything!
                    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh

Maybe they tried it a bit but figured out it was to dangerous and drew up treaties forbidding it. Maybe early Vorlon temporal experiments were other instances of the mistakes Lyta refered to in Thirdspace?
                      I believe it was would be more to do with their philosphies in life. The Minbari believed that each soul was reborn into the next generation--a modified reincarnation. Also on a practical side.. while goin back in time to "Correct" a problem would seem nice, even loving, think of the consequences. We all believe the German treatment of the Jews in WW2 was horrendous. So what if we went back in time and took Hitler out before he rose to power.. Wouldn't that have saved us millions of innocent deaths? Maybe--but what would we lose--The world would not have learned the lesson we learned from the atrocities--the Human Rights commission would never have been started--which i might add has saved millions of lives. The League of Nations would still be deemed as a good thing--yeah right..
                      To keep the wound from happening also removes the experience --for better or worse--. That is the biggest problem I have with Star Trek..They solve their time travel problems too easily--there are no repercussions in the time line that last.

I am thankful that JMS didn't cheapen B5 by using timetravel more than was appropriate..
                      later all--
                      There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against such power, governments, and kingdoms, and conquerors cannot stand.
                      WE WILL BE FREE!

Comment

• Sadly if you look around the world the lesson's from the holocaust haven't been learned. The Soviet Union, Uganda, Cambodia, Rowanda, Tibet, Iraq, Palestine, Bosnia, Afghanistan, etc etc,etc.
                        Personally If I had the means (not exactly likely) I wouldn't asassinate Hitler. I'd abduct him before he could commit suicide and then have him put on trial. The world is full of evil people who evade justice, (in fact it's largely ruled by such people.) It would be great if we could wave a magic wand and make them all wake up and realise what they are actually doing and atone for there actions. I guess thats why we all like science fiction and fantasy where these things are possible.
                        I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

• Re: JMSÆs recent posts got me thinking...

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
                          heÆs getting more than his share of frustration from the exchange these days? Is it just that thereÆs so much he canÆt say, that the porportions seem higher?

I think JMS has moved on. His focus is now on the Spiderman comics

Comment

Working...
                          X