Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Classy for JMS to Autograph? ... or ... What did/will he sign for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping in mind that I have no skill or knowledge of this sort of thing...can you get a good screenshot of the Station from the Lost Tales DVD, maybe? You can have that printed as a photograph, even a small poster at any Walgreens. Can anybody else chime in on this?

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by sarthaz View Post
      *sigh* I've spent the last two days scouring deviantart for something that would work and just haven't found the right thing. So I've contacted a bunch of artists whose work I appreciate in hopes of commissioning something; however, no responses from anyone. Any other places to look for artists?

First World problems ...
      You might check out "Lightspeed Fine Art"
      http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/
      They have some beautiful artwork, including B5.
      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        2007. Hard to believe, huh?
        Actually, it's not. It couldn't have been 2009, I guess my brain just short-circuited.

Almost certainly not, as long as it's just for personal use. Let us know what you make, okay?
        I haven't decided yet, but I'll know in about a week. I'll let you know then .

Comment

Still no luck commissioning an artist, but Sarthaz trained in crisis management. Learn fast. Sarthaz now understand 3D modeling. No, Sarthaz not understand, but Sarthaz do. Sarthaz good at doings, not understandings. Anyway, here's the work in progress.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Very nice! And that'll make it even more special, that you did it! How big are you going to have it printed?

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Very nice! And that'll make it even more special, that you did it! How big are you going to have it printed?

Jan
              Thanks! I was hoping to woo someone with actual talent to do this, so it would have some style to it, but the good news is that this is a helluva lot cheaper!

I was originally thinking 24x16, but that may be too large. 18x12 could be the winner. I want to be able to hang it in my office without it dominating the room.

Comment

ThereÆs a couple of hi-res renders of the station on Alec McClymonts site from the work he did on TLT. Should reduce in size to some pretty nice images

http://www.alecm.com/gallery.htm

ThereÆs a few more renders over on Fabio PassaroÆs website that you can view AND download the hi-res versions û he built the new station model used on TLT.

http://www.meshweaver.com/portfolio/..._Babylon_5.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                  ThereÆs a couple of hi-res renders of the station on Alec McClymonts site from the work he did on TLT. Should reduce in size to some pretty nice images

http://www.alecm.com/gallery.htm

ThereÆs a few more renders over on Fabio PassaroÆs website that you can view AND download the hi-res versions û he built the new station model used on TLT.

http://www.meshweaver.com/portfolio/..._Babylon_5.htm
                  Thanks for sharing these! The work is obviously incredible. Is there something wrong with me that I seem to prefer the cheesier look of the classic B5? There's no logical reason for it other than nostalgia.

I wish Fabio had shared a render of the station in full. Alec's lighting is spectacular, but it's just a little too dark and foreboding for my needs.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the old model. ; )

I donÆt think anyone with it has rendered anything new for a fair few years. But copies of the original nowstation model are kicking around a few friends and ex-employees of Netter and FI. One of them showed me some half decent sized renders a couple of years ago. TheyÆd posted them on one of those wallpaper collecting sites. But can I remember where the hell they are now . . . .

Comment

Nothing wrong with the old model. ; )

I donÆt think anyone with it has rendered anything new for a fair few years. But copies of the original nowstation model are kicking around a few friends and ex-employees of Netter and FI. One of them showed me some half decent sized renders a couple of years ago. TheyÆd posted them on one of those wallpaper collecting sites. But can I remember where the hell they are now . . . .
                      Seriously considering going with this puppy: http://www.alecm.com/images/gallery/...ish_B_0030.jpg

However, it's 16x9, which is an odd ratio for framing. If I go 18x12 (or other 3:2 aspect), I have to chop the sides or create content above and below.

Any ideas?

Comment

Looking at it, due to the dark background, if youÆve got any kind of paint package you should be able to extend the top and bottom without too much trouble to square it up a bit.

Comment

Looking at it, due to the dark background, if youÆve got any kind of paint package you should be able to extend the top and bottom without too much trouble to square it up a bit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good advice. How's this look? You can't tell from the compressed JPG, but I've done some content-aware filling on the bottom, so there's a star field down there. And I tried some subtle extending of the heat dissipation arrays blending into the darkness. Here's a full res that shows it better: http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6277/test5ky.jpg

I'm hoping it will print OK, but I guess if it doesn't, I can just chop the bottom off and custom frame the wacky aspect ratio. Not sure I like the way it frames the image now with all that black at the bottom, but as a plus, I guess it gives JMS somewhere to scrawl his sig.

Thanks to all for indulging this thread.

Comment

So since two months, I'm going back and forth between getting just the small mini-print, or the full-blown lithograph for signing, and right now, I'm tending towards the latter. Yeah, its pretty expensive, but its like... the whole trip and stuff will be so expensive anyway - and it's pretty much a once in a lifetime deal for me - that I'm thinking: What the hell, right?

BUT... I'm new to this convention and signature business, so I just wanted to make sure: It would seem inconveniencing or even rude to bring such a big thing to a signature session, right? I mean, essentially, it's "just" a movie poster, so I guess it can't be that special, but still.

Also: I read in the B5 books newsletter that signatures will be $20 each. Does that mean for each actor, or each signature? Don't get me wrong, of course it would be rude to bring 10+ things to sign for them, I'd never do that. But I'd like to get their signature on the lithograph, and would also like to get a more traditional signed photograph of them. Does that mean $ 40 + whatever the photo will cost? Or are two signatures for $20 ok?

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1980 View Post
                              So since two months, I'm going back and forth between getting just the small mini-print, or the full-blown lithograph for signing, and right now, I'm tending towards the latter. Yeah, its pretty expensive, but its like... the whole trip and stuff will be so expensive anyway - and it's pretty much a once in a lifetime deal for me - that I'm thinking: What the hell, right?
                              Robert A. Heinlein said (via his character Lazarus Long) "Budget the luxuiries first". In this case, I say do whatever will bring you the most joy when you look at it in coming years.

BUT... I'm new to this convention and signature business, so I just wanted to make sure: It would seem inconveniencing or even rude to bring such a big thing to a signature session, right? I mean, essentially, it's "just" a movie poster, so I guess it can't be that special, but still.
                              Unless they have big group signings (I've seen that, but rarely), each actor will have their own table with a selection of photos available. I know for certain that they'll have signed large posters before and I'm sure many others will have posters to be signed. The only thing to be mindful of is to be cautious about putting anything on their table on top of their photos. They're often loose in stacks so it would be easy to dislodge them. Also, if you want them to all sign in the same color, you might want to have your own Sharpie to have them use. I'll probably have a few extra silver ones if you'd like.

Also: I read in the B5 books newsletter that signatures will be $20 each. Does that mean for each actor, or each signature? Don't get me wrong, of course it would be rude to bring 10+ things to sign for them, I'd never do that. But I'd like to get their signature on the lithograph, and would also like to get a more traditional signed photograph of them. Does that mean $ 40 + whatever the photo will cost? Or are two signatures for $20 ok?
                              It's definitely per autograph and usually no discount for bringing your own item rather than having them sign a picture they provide. And I have to admit to a little doubt that Bruce and possibly Mira will be only $20. They're usually higher than the rest.

Jan
                              Last edited by Jan; 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

The full lithograph is a beautiful piece. Just ask yourself if you're really going to hang it or if it's going to sit in the corner rolled up for years. I learned a long time ago that I'm more likely to frame and hang a smaller piece, but that's my lifestyle. You should go with whatever fits yours.

The only inconvenience will be yours. Lugging around a large piece, rolling and unrolling it in a crowd, can be a pain. I've never been to this particular event, but if it's an open autograph room, be prepared for the guests to be there at different times, depending on their schedules. With an event like this, it seems likely that the B5 group will mostly have similar schedules, but Walter Koenig could be at a Star Trek talk and Jerry Doyle could be recording a podcast when you lug your poster to the signing room. These actors have different promoters with different agendas, so I doubt you'll get a one-stop-shop opportunity for your B5 signatures. People get all kinds of crazy stuff signed all the time, so you won't be doing anything strange. Just be aware that the inconvenience will be yours.

Sadly, any price you see will be for each signature. If that seems unreasonable, just keep in mind that few guests are provided more than the most basic accommodations or stipend for their appearance at a convention. The autographs make it worth their time to do this. Without this method, they'd have to be paid more directly, and you'd end up footing the bill through your ticket price.

Good news is that almost everyone includes the cost of a photo with a signature, so you don't have to buy their photo and then pay them to sign it.

Bad news is you're not likely to find someone charging $20 unless you take the Babylon 4 Time Travel Express to 1999. Someone from C2E2 can probably confirm, but I'm guessing you're looking at $25 or $30. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X