The Babylon 5 Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Babylon 5 Experiment

I found an interesting series of short videos from Patrick McCray that amazingly only has about 20 veiws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlqZwIdNILQ

I watched the first couple videos and will probably watch more later as I've now subscribed to the guy.

But, other than watching B5 and vlogging about it, I don't get exactly what the "experiment" is. He says that everything is automated and that he ran into a little bit of technical difficulty the first day. What is he talking about? Doesn't he just pop in a DVD, watch, and fire up the camcorder? What is automated?

He also says he has emotional baggage over B5 that he's trying to get over? Does he ever elaborate on that?

I am intrigued though that he plans on comparing when B5 & DS9 episodes were produced to prove whether or not one show copied from the other.

He says that "Believers" is his favorite episode out of the first 2/3 of season 1. Hmm. That episode is my 4th-least favorite episode of the entire series.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja_Squirrel View Post
      I am intrigued though that he plans on comparing when B5 & DS9 episodes were produced to prove whether or not one show copied from the other.
      I noticed that in the bit of the first one I watched. Not really sure how he's going to actually know when each episode was really produced. I'll probably check out more later.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Apologies if this is covered in the video but I don't have time to watch it just now. I heard a rumor at some point over the years that JMS first pitched the B5 concept to the TNG folks, maybe Rick Berman, and they shot him down but basically crafted DS9 off of his idea. Is there any truth to that?
        "You don't like it here, do you? You'd rather you were back in your quarters, asleep, dreaming dreams of glory."

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
          Apologies if this is covered in the video but I don't have time to watch it just now. I heard a rumor at some point over the years that JMS first pitched the B5 concept to the TNG folks, maybe Rick Berman, and they shot him down but basically crafted DS9 off of his idea. Is there any truth to that?
          Not quite that way, He did pitch B5 to Paramount (I believe that's who took over from Desilu, right?) but not to anybody directly involved with Trek. The feeling is that development people there steered DS9 in the direction that JMS had proposed for B5 and there are a number of similarities in the initial phases of the two shows.

I'm pretty sure that's something the B5 Experiment guy is going to be looking for but as far as I'm concerned, that's water that passed under a bridge 20 years ago. I never got into DS9 but I hear it developed into a great show in the end.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Son of Max Headroom!
            All he needs is a rubber wig, fiberglass coat, and a bad stutter

Comment

I watched some of this, and it seems like pure nonsense at times... Maybe that's what he's going for?
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                I watched some of this, and it seems like pure nonsense at times... Maybe that's what he's going for?
                Yes, I looked through it, and it looks more like ramblings than anything else. maybe intentionally so.
                Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Ah-ha! I've found this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxgoh25pPGs

...which explains what the experiment is all about.

I began watching his clips in order of course, Day 1, Day 2 and so on... and I kept wondering what he was talking about when he repeatedly said "baggage". This clip explains it all, and once you've got that information, his logs make much more sense. I've enjoyed his video logs greatly.

One little problem I had in playing his clips in order; sometimes the clips are entitled "Experiment", sometimes "Experience", and sometimes "Project", so on a few occasions I was typing the wrong word into the search bar. Clicking on Mr McCray's youtube channel instead makes it much easier to find and play the clips in order.

Enjoy!

PS. ...Darn it all..., can't seem to find Day 10, Sleeping In Light...
                  Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post

Shouldn't that be day one hundred and ten, not just ten?
                    "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Indeed Darn !
                      I am missing #10 as well, otherwise seen it all.
                      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxgoh25pPGs

...which explains what the experiment is all about.

I began watching his clips in order of course, Day 1, Day 2 and so on... and I kept wondering what he was talking about when he repeatedly said "baggage". This clip explains it all, and once you've got that information, his logs make much more sense. I've enjoyed his video logs greatly.
                        Ahhh, okay. This makes more sense now!
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                          Shouldn't that be day one hundred and ten, not just ten?
                          Nope; Day Ten. Give the clips a go and you'll see what's what.

Comment

Working...
                          X