20th Anniversary Re-Watch - Season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
    Isn't the rebirth referring to Delenn's coming transformation? She uses the line "and so it begins" which is the same line Kosh speaks to Sinclair once Delenn is in the Chrysalis.
    I think you may well be right, JodD80. But, boy, Minbari seem to get reborn a *lot*! Remember this little gem?

We use a chemical compound that strips away the outer layer of the
    epidermal tissue. It is symbolic of being reborn each day.
    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
      Isn't the rebirth referring to Delenn's coming transformation? She uses the line "and so it begins" which is the same line Kosh speaks to Sinclair once Delenn is in the Chrysalis.
      You're right, that's even more significant.

That's something I've always wondered about. There's no mention of Valen in the Vol. 15 memo synopsizing all five years (the one that included a potential sequel). I've always wondered a bit when the idea for Sinclair's transformation ocurred to JMS and if this might have been a first seed in his mind when it turned out that Sinclair was to be replaced by Sheridan.
      Quite possible. It could, of course, have been one of the "trap door" options. Writing is a strange process, and outlines rarely hold all the information one intends to put into the actual story.
      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

So... I gritted my teeth and re-watched 'Infection', an episode I'd normally skip. I hoped, against hope that I'd missed some hidden glimmer of greatness.

Unfortunately, dear B5 friends, I'm still squarely in the 'it's pretty bad' camp. This episode managed to put one of my close friends off B5 full stop. He refused to watch any more despite my assurances it was worth persevering with!

The overall atmosphere reminded me a lot of The Outer Limits (the 90s remake). Had I seen it in that context, I might have enjoyed it more. The monster doesn't work for me at all, the mindless 'I am a robot, must protect' thing just comes off as a bit silly. Jan, fully agree with you that the far right politcs angle is rammed home a few times too many.

What I did like though, were the final 10 minutes. The exchanges between Garibaldi and Sinclair, as well as Ivanova and Franklin are great. Both add some nice layers and hints. This pulls it up from being awful, to merely bad.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

my season one set is currently with a friend so i shall chime on on ocassion with my faint remembernces and watch along with ye when ye get to season 2, 'kay?
          Phaze
          on the "time to give the kittehs their night time treats and take the three of us up to bed" ID
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Sure, Phaze. See you when you can.

Mind War First Aired: March 2, 1994

As part of Season 1's sometimes odd pattern, this episode was the tenth one filmed but sixth one to air.

It's funny. I never remember this episode as a particularly good one...except times like now when it's fresh in my mind. I think part of that is because I never warmed to Talia at all. This was a good episode for her, but I just don't really care for her.

Once again early on we saw so much foreshadowing. First sighting of the Black Omega squadron. First appearance of Garibaldi's aide. First appearance of the then-unnamed First Ones. And Jason Ironheart tells us all about what the Psi Corps' aims are. Oh, and we see from Ivanova's compassion for Talia after the scan by Bester and Kelsey that she's starting to warm to Talia.

I really love the music in this episode. Makes me want to break out the first music CD. I also liked how they managed to achieve an almost 3-D look to the Skydancer with the Walker ship looming over it.

And finally, brand new insights into G'Kar. Granted, he might have acted (or not acted, rather) differently if he could have seen a major political advantage to letting Sakai die...but we now know that he's not entirely a one-dimensional bad guy and that there's a bit of a philosopher behind those red eyes.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Boy, oh boy... this couldn't have come at a worse time for me. Just a couple of days ago I finally finished a rewatch with a friend (it was actually his first time; oh how I envy him), and I still have so many shows to see for the first time, and planned on starting this week, that I don't think I can fit it in right now. Then again, I have seen it so many times by now, and for the first and most of the second season have written pretty long reviews (in german), so even if I haven't seen it like yesterday or so I might still be able to chime in, if that would be ok with you .

Before I give you my short opinion for the first episode (I'll try to post one of these daily; and I guess I have to find the thread for the pilot!), let me reply to this:
              Originally posted by Jan View Post
              That's something I've always wondered about. There's no mention of Valen in the Vol. 15 memo synopsizing all five years (the one that included a potential sequel). I've always wondered a bit when the idea for Sinclair's transformation ocurred to JMS and if this might have been a first seed in his mind when it turned out that Sinclair was to be replaced by Sheridan.
              I think so. Notice that Valen was first mentioned in Season 2. I guess, as soon as he took Sinclair out of the game, he figured out when and how to bring him back later on, and that he'll go on to become this legendary minbari leader.

Anyway, here are my two cents about the first episode. Just in case someone here can understand german, I also linked my extensive review (just click the episode title)

Midnight on the Firing Line
              A good, solid start for the show. Nothing too spectacular, but it's definitely better than the first cut of "The Gathering", finding a better balance between background information, introducing the characters, setting up later events, and telling a compelling story. I especially like the foreshadowing (Londo's dream) and the great getting-to-know-you-scenes with Ivanova and Talia (they try to get to know each other, and by that, WE get to know THEM; very cleverly set up). Ivanovas back story with her mother is just incredibly sad. And of course, I love all the scenes with G'Kar and Londo. "The wheel turns, doesn't it, Ambassador?" If he only knew...

On the other hand, you can't help but notice that NOTHING HAPPENS, really. The Narn take Ragesh 3, and in the end, give it back again. And the way Sinclair stumbles upon the Narn on the asteroid base of the Raiders is very convenient; definitely a more clean and easy wrap-up than we're used to on B5. Overall, a solid and promising, if not great, start. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Comment

I won't be able to rewatch now, but I went through the whole series a few months ago, so does that count as joining in?

Midnight on the Firing Line
                I thought this was a solid, if not too impressive ep. One thing I really liked was the camera positioning on effects. The freedom that comes with the CGI was a nice change after the more limited angles of the Model world. Of course, Londo and G'Kar were showing a lot of promise right from the start.

Soul Hunter
                I'm with you about some of the on-set practical effects. They did sometimes look a little cheesy. A number of good moments, though, and some hints of the story to come. I really like Morgan Sheppard's take on the alien.

Born to the Purple
                One of my favorites, too. I loved the Londo development, and I thought Sinclair's knowledge of the station was a great touch.

Infection
                I've often mentioned this episode as the one that started to really get my attention. The main story was the "monster loose on the [fill in the blank]" staple of space opera, but the last few minutes were something different. In response to your two controversial things, Jan, they weren't controversial to me at all. I agree with both your assessments. I don't think the episode was bad. I don't think it was great, but definitely not bad.

The Parliment of Dreams
                I liked this one and I was impressed with the kind treatment of religion. JUst a nice little story with some great character development. While I think the red fruit did foreshadow both Delenn's and Sinclair's rebirth, I did think it was also there as misdirection. The "marriage" was presented with such authority by Sakai that you couldn't help but go along. Not sure if the original intent was that Sinclair and Delenn would tie the knott, but as it worked out it was a nice red herring.
                "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

I just rewatched Parliament of Dreams and you know what struck me the most?

NÆGrath!

Much like æThe GatheringÆ, season one still used puppets. I can see why they were phased out, but N'grath was great! Sure heÆs a bit rickety, but I love seeing these old school animatronics / puppets.

People were always complaining about the Jim Henson stuff on Farscape but I always loved that aspect of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                    I just rewatched Parliament of Dreams and you know what struck me the most?

NÆGrath!

Much like æThe GatheringÆ, season one still used puppets. I can see why they were phased out, but N'grath was great! Sure heÆs a bit rickety, but I love seeing these old school animatronics / puppets.

People were always complaining about the Jim Henson stuff on Farscape but I always loved that aspect of the show.
                    Did you know Babylon 5 and Buffy did a crossover episode?

Really, it happened. N'Grath from Babylon 5 appeared on Buffy, in the episode "Teacher's Pet." The human form of N'Grath was played by Musetta Vander, who appeared a few months later in Babylon 5.

Optic Nerve, who did a ton of work early on in Babylon 5 also worked on Buffy. They had the prop, and the people. I'm not sure if it was an intentional crossover, but hey ... I'm counting it.
                    "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                      Did you know Babylon 5 and Buffy did a crossover episode?

Really, it happened. N'Grath from Babylon 5 appeared on Buffy, in the episode "Teacher's Pet." The human form of N'Grath was played by Musetta Vander, who appeared a few months later in Babylon 5.

Optic Nerve, who did a ton of work early on in Babylon 5 also worked on Buffy. They had the prop, and the people. I'm not sure if it was an intentional crossover, but hey ... I'm counting it.
                      Wow, that's amusing. You guys (and girls!) are truly the source of all B5 knowledge! You do realise that now I'm going to have to watch that Buffy episode when I get home.

Comment

Happy to have anybody jump into the discussion even if they're not watching along right this minute.

Originally posted by cornholio1980 View Post
                        Notice that Valen was first mentioned in Season 2. I guess, as soon as he took Sinclair out of the game, he figured out when and how to bring him back later on, and that he'll go on to become this legendary minbari leader.
                        That's something that I noticed particularly about the Minbari ceremony in "Parliament" - Delenn says:

-- and Valen said, "Will you follow
                        me into fire, into storm, into
                        darkness, into death?"
                        So Valen was established very early on. We just don't know for sure when the Sinclair-becomes-Valen connection was made in JMS' mind.

I loved n'grath (yes, per JMS, no capitals, same as the pak'ma'ra) and wished they'd kept him around. We could have made a drinking game for every time he said "Very expensive..."

Jan

Comment

I loved n'grath (yes, per JMS, no capitals, same as the pak'ma'ra) and wished they'd kept him around. We could have made a drinking game for every time he said "Very expensive..."

Jan
                          Did we ever find out who did n'grath's voice? I know Russ Johnson was the body, but as with Kosh, there was a voice actor involved. Just not sure who.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                            Did we ever find out who did n'grath's voice? I know Russ Johnson was the body, but as with Kosh, there was a voice actor involved. Just not sure who.
                            No indication in IMDbPro. Hey, Jason! Can you help with this one at all?

Jan

Comment

Jan! We're supposed to know everything here ... if I don't know it, you do. If you don't know it, I do. If we're both at a loss, does that signal the latest end-of-the-world nightmare?

Comment

Jan
                                Ahh, that would have been a joyous thing. They could have marketed n'grath shot glasses and (his?/her?) own brand of absinthe to go with them. Or maybe preying mantis infused vodka... okay, I'm getting a bit carried away now.
                                Last edited by Ubik; 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X