Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 at Phoenix Comic-Con May 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Babylon 5 at Phoenix Comic-Con May 2013

    Yesterday's exciting news was the huge B5 line-up of guests for next year's Phoenix Comic-Con

    Phoenix Comicon 2013 is excited to welcome the creator, J. Michael Straczynski, and the cast of Babylon 5 for the 20th Anniversary: Bruce Boxleitner, Bill Mumy, Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Julie Caitlin Brown (Friday only), Mira Furlan, Walter Koenig, Pat Tallman and Stephen Furst!
    Word is that the convention wasn't able to meet Peter Jurasik's guarantee commitment (a minimum of what he'd need to make from autographs) in order to take part. Jason Carter doesn't appear to have been asked, judging strictly from Facebook posts.

    I'm going to sticky this thread to the top of the forum even though it may not be super busy until nearer the con. Meanwhile, let's play and post what we'd like to see as part of our ideal B5 Gathering.

    - Despite the potential downer, I'd like to see a nicely done memorial reel for at least the on-camera cast. More if possible.

    - I'd like to hear from crew who don't always come to mind. Back in the day when AOL had a dedicated B5 forum, one of the most popular posters was a scenic artist named Matt Plummer. His exploits were always fun to read.

    More as I think of them...

    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

  • #2
    I'm moving planets to make it to this. Fingers crossed a Shadow Planet killer doesn't come across my path till then.
    What a wonderful world you live in. -
    Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jan View Post

      - Despite the potential downer, I'd like to see a nicely done memorial reel for at least the on-camera cast. More if possible.



      Jan
      I think that this is a very good idea. (It was Michael O'Hare's sudden demise that prompted me to join here instead of just lurking).

      Of course, the best thing would be if JMS announced a B5 Motion Picture were in the works...! Fingers-crossed
      Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        My birthday is in May, so this would be like the bestest birthday present ever if I could go!!!!!!!!

        I was also really happy to hear that Peter Jurasik is still with us because for some reason I believed he was with the departed. I'm really glad I was wrong, and it's sad he won't be there.

        But that is still a pretty wonderful turn out!

        I don't think there is any way I could raise the fare in five months though.

        Comment


        • #5
          it's the potential air fare that's killing me as well, but I discovered that hertz have not put on my car hire from august in tuscon to my delta miles so I may be able to get it on a reward ticket vasis, reserved me hotel either way so we shall see what happens, it's another kind of birthday for me, 1 year sober, assuming i kamke it that far. so a definite cause for celebration, plus JMS and Walter Koeneg, yum
          Alan
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phazedout View Post
            it's the potential air fare that's killing me as well, but I discovered that hertz have not put on my car hire from august in tuscon to my delta miles so I may be able to get it on a reward ticket vasis, reserved me hotel either way so we shall see what happens, it's another kind of birthday for me, 1 year sober, assuming i kamke it that far. so a definite cause for celebration, plus JMS and Walter Koeneg, yum
            Alan

            Good Luck. I hope you make it!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Found another B5-connected guest added to the Phoenix guest line-up:

              Originally posted by Phoenix Comicon
              Joining us at Phoenix Comicon is Christy Marx! Christy has written scripts for kids' shows and created her comic book series Sisterhood of Steel. She's also writing the character Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld for the comic book revival of Sword of Sorcery! ~SM
              Christy wrote "Grail" which has the unfortunate distinction of being the final episode directed by Richard Compton *after* he was informed that he wouldn't be continuing with the show. She was also the one who wrote the advance newsletter that JMS sent out to the fans.

              Her late husband, artist Peter Ledger, was the one who did the original concept artwork for the series, much of which was seen on the back of the black series of script books.

              I'm looking forward to thanking her for her part in making B5 what it was.

              Jan
              Last edited by Jan; 12-15-2012, 07:57 AM.
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jan View Post
                Christy wrote "Grail" which has the unfortunate distinction of being the final episode directed by Richard Compton *after* he was informed that he wouldn't be continuing with the show.
                She also wrote the ill-fated B5 game from Sierra Online.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Another writer associated with B5 has just been announced: Peter David will be there. He wrote B5 episodes (Soul Mates, There All the Honor Lies), B5 Comics (In Valen's Name 2 & 3) and for Crusade (Ruling from the Tomb).

                  Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just a reminder that if you're thinking of attending Phoenix Comic-Con, membership prices will go up after Monday, 12/31:

                    Full Event Membership Prices:
                    Full event membership til 11:59PM December 31st, 2012 are $40
                    Full Event membership January 1st to May 23rd 11:59 pm are $50
                    Full Event membership at the door are $60

                    Single day tickets are also available.

                    Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      Another writer associated with B5 has just been announced: Peter David will be there. He wrote B5 episodes (Soul Mates, There All the Honor Lies), B5 Comics (In Valen's Name 2 & 3) and for Crusade (Ruling from the Tomb).

                      Jan
                      Not to mention the novels, especially the Centauri Trilogy.

                      He also co-created the TV series Space Cases with Bill Mumy (which starred Jewel Staite, who is also a guest).
                      Webmaster
                      SFTV.org
                      B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can't quite believe it, but I actually find myself seriously considering going there (I'm from Austria, mind you). I already planned to go on vacation on the last 2 weeks of May anyway, and, I mean, that's probably the biggest B5 Gathering that we will get in a long time (too bad Peter Jurasik won't be there). And since I finally got my annual bonus for 2011 at the end of last year, and will get another one (for 2012) within the next couple of months, I actually could afford it.

                        So, two questions:
                        A) Who will be there? (EDIT: From this Forums, I mean; I already know the guest list )
                        B) Does anyone have experience with the Phoenix Comic Con? Is it well organised? Is it as overcrowded as San Diego, meaning I'd probably have to sleep in line in a tent?

                        FAITH MANAGES
                        cornholio1980
                        Last edited by cornholio1980; 01-08-2013, 05:23 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'll be there (natch). Lee Whiteside will be there and he's experienced and involved with the con.

                          NOTHING is as overcrowded as San Diego Comic-Con! Phoenix is a respectable sized con but according to Wikipedia, they were still under 35,000 attendees last year (compared to about 130,000 at SDCC).

                          Even if I weren't already in the habit of running around the continent going to cons, I wouldn't miss this for the world. I missed all of the cast-heavy cons back in the day and this may never happen again.

                          Hope to see you!

                          Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            I'll be there (natch). Lee Whiteside will be there and he's experienced and involved with the con.

                            NOTHING is as overcrowded as San Diego Comic-Con! Phoenix is a respectable sized con but according to Wikipedia, they were still under 35,000 attendees last year (compared to about 130,000 at SDCC).

                            Even if I weren't already in the habit of running around the continent going to cons, I wouldn't miss this for the world. I missed all of the cast-heavy cons back in the day and this may never happen again.

                            Hope to see you!

                            Jan
                            Yes, we were at 32,000 last year (up from 24,000). This year's is likely closer to 35,000 (unless we get a couple of actors currently in talks with (non-B5) in which case it will likely go up). I'd recommend you book a room at the Hyatt (unless you really want or can use Marriott points). It is the hotel directly across the street from the convention center. The convention is well run and well-organized, and we have guests (authors and actors) that have enjoyed it so much that they want to come back (and some have).

                            If you are a Babylon 5 fan, you should definitely try to make it. There will definitely be additional Babylon 5 actors on hand. I do not see any other convention having this many of the B5 cast together. This is really the result of some Babylon 5 fans wanting to make it happen (myself included).

                            Lee Whiteside
                            Books & Authors Manager, Phoenix Comicon
                            Webmaster
                            SFTV.org
                            B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am sure that I will be there. Seeing pretty much the whole cast at once will be worth it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X