No announcement yet.

RIP Michael O'Hare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved everything about his performance and dreamed of meeting him, even getting to work with him someday. He's been an inspiration to me ever since I was a boy.

Nothing's the same anymore...
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

I was lucky enough to meet him twice. Once at a FORBIDDEN PLANET signing where he was totally swamped by fans, and the other at the huge B5 convention in Blackpool UK some years back.

He was a great chap, always with a cheery smile, very polite and with that fantastic voice of his. On stage taking questions though....A pacer. Forever pacing left and right, always pacing as he spoke. Always with constant references to his son Ben.

I thought that he was just great as Commander Sinclair, he gave the show gravitas and dignity. Bruce was equally brilliant but brought different ingredients to the table...heroism and sacrifice. They both brought/shared the quality of loyalty in their characterisations.

Of all the things I did not want to read about B5...this was it, the passing of a great contributor.
      http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
      Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
      47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

I am very sad to hear this. I did have the chance to see him in person once at a very small convention in Maine. He seemed very genuinely pleased to be there.

It does seem that the B5 cast has taken more than its share.
        "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

"And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
          "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

One of the bitter, ironic coincidences of life...

We were watching EGGHEADS today on the BBC, it's panel quiz game.

One of the questions was, which famous classical piece is this from...

We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
            One equal temper of heroic hearts,
            Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
            To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
            I felt very sad, Michael read that piece so well.
            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

RIP, I greatly enjoyed the gravitas he brought to the show.

Comment

A real shame. Too many charismatic actors from the B5 cast have passed away. Heart warming to know that through his involvement with B5 he has left a real legacy behind that many will remember and cherish for years to come.
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Hopefully the other B5 commander won't mind me re-posting his tweet:

Originally posted by Bruce Boxleitner
                  I didn't know Michael O'Hare well, but when I worked with him, he was a professional, and a gentleman and no one can ask for more. RIP.

Comment

Sooooooooo sad

They say only the good die young, so maybe that works with the casts of good tv shows too?

Comment

Astonishingly awful news.

I loved his work.
                      Sometimes the scripts didn't really match his delivery but I more often preferred his delivery to the scripts.

I wish we had more of him in the show, I wish we had more of him.

I never caught any of his stage performances so what was caught on camera is all I have.

Between B5 and Doctor Who recently we do seem to be getting a lot of bad news all at once.

Come on Joe, do something to cheer us up soon.
                      I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

Michael's son Ben posted on JMS' wall:

Originally posted by Ben Davidson
                        Hello all, I'm Ben Davidson, Michael O'Hare's son. Although not by blood, he lived with my mom and I from about age 4 to 12, and he remained my primary father figure ever since. We never liked the phrase "step" son or dad, as we didn't see any difference. As you may know Michael was a private man, and there's not much public information on this, but I'm sure Joe will confirm this if anyone cares.

This was a sudden loss, and the last week has been terribly sad to say the least. I was there with him on Friday as he passed from this earth, and want you to know it was peaceful.

I'm just getting home now and starting to search a little, and see the reports of his death, but what has struck me this evening is the huge number of fans that are sharing their kind thoughts and memories.

Michael wasn't online much, and didn't really knew how many people continued to enjoy his work, but I'm certain he would have been truly honored. I know that it has been a comfort to me, and I will be sure to convey this to his brother Mark, his parents, and I hope eventually his young daughter Audrey.

I'd like to thank Joe for his giving people a place to share, and his championing of Michael in the role. B5 was a highlight of Michael's career and life, and I know he respected Joe and the whole team deeply. I remember being on set all those years ago, and Joe very kindly got me involved with the FX team which I was fascinated with.

My deepest thanks to all of you, your words have eased my heart, and I take solace in the fact Michael will live on through his work and fans.
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Sad times bring us all
                          Out of the woodwork en masse
                          Our best times to share.

John Brittain
                          John Brittain
                          2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Comment

Glad to see you again, John and the rest of the less frequently seen posters. Wish it were for a happier ocassion.

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

RIP. He will be remembered fondly.

Comment

So sad to hear of him go.
                                We always seem to loose the best ones. My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

R.I.P old friend
                                *Den-Sha*

Comment

Working...
                                X