Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Studio JMS change anything for Babylon 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Tracy Scoggins gets nearly as much credit as she deserves, for coming into an established series with an established cast and crew and carving a niche for herself. I suspect to a certain degree she always suffered a bit at the hands of the die-hard Claudia Christian fans who maybe felt she had stolen her place in the series, which was a bit unfair. But then again, if you look at the beginning of season two, there were a few Bruce Boxleitner haters who were outraged that he was replacing Michael O'Hare. From an acting standpoint, I was on set when Tracy was shooting 'Day of the Dead,' in which she had some very emotional stuff to deal with, and I thought she did an amazing job. It's always a bit difficult when you're playing a tough female character, because the audience can sometimes 'penalize' you for pulling it off. And on a completely personal note, I always found Tracy to be unfailingly pleasant from day one. She always made herself available for interviews, and when we were at Comic Con a few years ago promoting 'The Lost Tales,' I had an absolute ball spending time with her. At one point, Warner Home Video threw a big star-studded bash for the release of TLT, Blade Runner and 300 on DVD, during which Tracy made a point of introducing me to everybody we met. At one point, I was standing between Tracy and Sean Young who were old friends, and I remember thinking, 'This is what it's like to be one of the cool kids!'

Comment

I agree, Joe. Far too many fans seemed to be prepared to dislike her for the 'crime' of not being Claudia. I loved the interaction with Garibaldi and her entire role in 'Day of the Dead'.

Never had much in the way of real contact, but my experiences talking to Tracy at cons has been completely positive.

And Marsden? Please, it's Minbari!!!

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        I agree, Joe. Far too many fans seemed to be prepared to dislike her for the 'crime' of not being Claudia.
        I agree. I do think it was unfortunate to replace Ivanova with a new, unestablished human female character (and one that bears certain superficial similarities to her), but that doesn't mean I don't like Lochley.

My ideal replacement, though, would've been Number One/Tessa Holloran. I wanna see Bester try his intimidation tactics on her.
        Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

I remember sitting in the foyer outisde the Babylon 5 studios the day they were casting that role. It was like an Amazon convention out there; I've never seen so many big women in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
            I remember sitting in the foyer outisde the Babylon 5 studios the day they were casting that role. It was like an Amazon convention out there; I've never seen so many big women in my life.
            But you obviously survived the snoo-snoo.
            The Optimist: The glass is half full
            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

I just wish I had pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
                snoo-snoo.
                Huh?

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                  Huh?

Jan
                  Don't ask, lol!

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                  ...but that doesn't mean I don't like Lochley.

My ideal replacement, though, would've been Number One/Tessa Holloran. I wanna see Bester try his intimidation tactics on her.
                  After a couple episodes I liked Lochley too, I think it was after we found out her prior connection to Sheridan.

What do you think of Margean Holden?
                  She was Dr. Sarah Chambers on Crusade (and an Earthforce navigator Call to Arms), I thought she was great.
                  Last edited by DaveNarn; 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                    What do you think of Margean Holden?
                    She was Dr. Sarah Chambers on Crusade (and an Earthforce navigator Call to Arms), I thought she was great.
                    Dr. Chambers was one of my favorite Crusade characters. I just wish they had gotten to develop her more. I liked the job Margean was doing was great.
                    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

I think Dr. Chambers was one of the characters that never quite found the right direction. I seem to remember (and I could be wrong here- it's been a long time) that at some point, somebody had remembered that Marjean Holden was in fact a martial artist and stuntwoman and there was some talk about making her character a bit more active from a physical perspective. Obviously that didn't happen, because the show didn't stay on the air.

Comment

One time that I think they did try to make Chambers more active was when she decked the thug attacking Cynthia, Eilerson's ex-wife. I*hated* that scene because it came out of nowhere and seemed badly filmed so that the action didn't seem real at all.

Chambers as a character was more subtle than the rest of a crew of vivid personalities. I enjoyed her quiet scenes where she gave a gentle lecture to Gideon about the need for hope and the way she took the burden of spreading the plague to David the Plumber from Dr. Franklin.

Jan

Comment

Ironically, right after Crusade got cancelled, Marjean went down to Australia for a role in Beastmaster, in which she was able to show off those aforementioned physical talents.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
                            But you obviously survived the snoo-snoo.
                            Great post! Ha!

Also, great stories, Joe! Thanks for sharing.

Dear Jan, I'm sorry I mispell Minbari. I don't know why,

It still would have been great on a large screen.

BTW, on a depressing note, I don't think I'd want to see a B5 movie anymore. I think if someone could pull it off, it would be JMS, but I was reflecting on another show that I love, which was my favorite show before B5, and when they brought it back in movies it just wasn't the same and add to that it was less time between the show cancellation and the movie than B5 and all their stars were still alive and it still was a disappointment. Now a huge plus for B5 is JMS is really one of the best writers, ever, but time has passed. I know there are good make up effects, but if we keep the conciet that 1 season of B5 took a year, then we're only about 6 years away from Sleeping in Light's time. That may not actually be relevant, but I think what I'm trying to say is, you can't go home, again.
                            And it makes me sad.

Obviously, if it were to happen I would go see it anyway, despite what I just said. I just no longer have any hope for it.

But, I'm happy we did get what we had.
                            Last edited by Marsden; 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM.
                            "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                            "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

If WB didn't have B5 locked away in a box stored in a cold vault behind a heavy bank door, I wonder if it or Crusade could be recast as an animated series?

I doubt the tv networks would be interested so I'd be happy to pay a nominal subscription fee for online access to the weekly series.

Any ideas if a project of this smaller scale would be worth the cost of the JMS approved scripts?
                              My guess is a couple hundred thousand loyal subscribers at $10 a head per season.

As you know, this is not a new idea.
                              Star Trek: The Animated Series as awful as it was, had 22 episodes.

Comment

I think there was a thread awhile back discussing the B5 animated idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X