Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Studio JMS change anything for Babylon 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Studio JMS change anything for Babylon 5?

I know that studio JMS is awesome for him for getting out his zillion non b5 projects. He is amazingly busy, I have no idea how he does it all! (shakes head amazedly)

But my question is does the existence of studio JMS offer any hope to B5 fans for any future B5 projects in any format whatsover?

My first thought is even if he were given permission to do anything new with it by warner brothers, or any of the other complications worked out, that he either wouldn't want to or would want to but not have time in between his quantrillion comics and other two tv shows, plus his movies.

B5 was amazing and if we never do get anything more it's still spectacular what we do have!!!!! I'm just trying to acertain whether I should properly bury all hope for anything new or hang on to a glimmer?

I wish I was just a JMS fan because then I could be ecstatically excited about all his new stuff, either that or horribly depressed since I'm so poor. But really I'm just a B5 fanatic.

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
    I know that studio JMS is awesome for him for getting out his zillion non b5 projects. He is amazingly busy, I have no idea how he does it all! (shakes head amazedly)

But my question is does the existence of studio JMS offer any hope to B5 fans for any future B5 projects in any format whatsover?

I wish I was just a JMS fan because then I could be ecstatically excited about all his new stuff, either that or horribly depressed since I'm so poor. But really I'm just a B5 fanatic.
    As far as I understand JMS has the rights to B5 movies, and nothing else B5. It looks like he indicated that he was in negotiations on more B5 right, but that only he and WB knows, I think. So, there is a glimmer of hope.

Knowing what JMS did with B5 I am very excited myself about the zillion other projects. I have seen/read a few of the other things and really like the high quality level. I still have to look into a lot more JMS-non-B5 stuff myself.
    If you have not looked into itm please do yourself the favour of doing so. You may or may not like it, it is the not-knowing that would bother me. But maybe you have looked into more JMS stuff ?
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

I don't think that it should have any bearing on anything. JMS is free to do projects within or without his studio. For instance, he's writing the "Majestic Files" comic for Legendary which isn't included in the line-up for Studio JMS or Joe's Comics.

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir
      My first thought is even if he were given permission to do anything new with it by warner brothers, or any of the other complications worked out, that he either wouldn't want to or would want to but not have time in between his quantrillion comics and other two tv shows, plus his movies.
      I don't think we have to worry about his not wanting to do something as long as he has an idea for a story he wants to tell. And I don't think he's ever at a loss for ideas!

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I'm always a bit puzzled by the 'glass half empty' people who react to the Studio JMS announcement about a whole bunch of potentially new projects by fixating on the one that's NOT happening, namely B5. That being said, this development could possibly be good for future B5-related projects, simply because it may prompt Warners into returning to the table again. After all, everybody loves a winner, so if the studios are lining up to be in business with JMS, somebody at Warners could suddenly think it's a good idea to be in the B5 business again. The only problem is they may have to go to the back of the queue.

Comment

We'll eventually get more B5. Joe's going to be releasing that B5 graphic novel he's been talking about for like five years any day now, right?
          "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
            Joe's going to be releasing that B5 graphic novel he's been talking about for like five years any day now, right?
            Nope. That was tabled quite a while ago. (And yeah, I know you already know this. Just don't want any more rumors going around.)

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              Nope. That was tabled quite a while ago. (And yeah, I know you already know this. Just don't want any more rumors going around.)

Jan
              I can hope. And as long as I'm going for the really satisfying dreams, the cover will have Sheridan and Sinclair sitting in lazyboy-type chairs, watching tv together, with a ginormous image of Jane on their wall-sized tv ... and that's the cover of the graphic novel.
              "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                I can hope. And as long as I'm going for the really satisfying dreams, the cover will have Sheridan and Sinclair sitting in lazyboy-type chairs, watching tv together, with a ginormous image of Jane on their wall-sized tv ... and that's the cover of the graphic novel.
                Brat.

Jan

Comment

B5 was amazing and if we never do get anything more it's still spectacular what we do have!!!!! I'm just trying to acertain whether I should properly bury all hope for anything new or hang on to a glimmer?

I am a Babylon 5 and Crusade fan, and also of JMS's and Harlan's Twilight Zone work. As for something new in the B5 universe, I'll be in cryo-suspension and will pop up in a hundred years or so to check. i.e. I'm not holding my breath. I doubt Warners will EVER facilitate the production of anything in the Babylon 5 universe that would be anywhere even close to as good as Babylon 5 (1993-1999, including the movies in that timespan) and Crusade (1999).

I think JMS has moved on, and we've gotten all that we're going to get. Hell, I think we'll be damned lucky to see the Crusade "What the Hell Happened?" book series completed. I don't think that even THAT will ever happen.
                  Mac Breck (KoshN)
                  ------------------
                  Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                  JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                  Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

'Studio JMS' is not to be taken literally then, other than a title for a letterhead?

I was hoping he actually meant sound stages, art departments, a whole production facility to create the series of 'Lost Tails' movies talked about a few years ago.
                    Of course to be truly independent Studio JMS would also need to be a distribution network with financial and law offices for all the bean counters.
                    But I don't think that is his intent. This must be a business maneuver required for just securing the rights to screenplays and books and such.

There is still an apatite for Outer Space stories so me and a three hundred thousand others are backing a Kickstarter project called 'Space Command' It's not B5, but it's pro-active and it's a pretty cool concept, so you never know!
                    Initially it had a goal of 75k to create and distribute the first movie. Small potatoes indeed to JMS, but enough for the likes of some of Hollywood's current sci-fi pros, Doug Drexler, Marc Zicree, and a scrappy band enthusiasts.

So we have the big studios and little Kickstarter projects, JMS is somewhere in between - I don't blame him for trying to make a living, but I agree with KoshN, it sure looks like the B5 ship has sailed.
                    Last edited by DaveNarn; 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                      'Studio JMS' is not to be taken literally then, other than a title for a letterhead?

I was hoping he actually meant sound stages, art departments, a whole production facility to create the series of 'Lost Tails' movies talked about a few years ago.
                      It's a production company more than a freestanding studio per se. Sound stages, cameras and all that are far more frequently rented than owned anymore. Most production companies are in conjunction with the major studios and are often 'perks' for name stars and directors. This is JMS' own company and I believe he'll be partnering with other companies as needed for the TV shows. He already mentioned that part of the funding for "The Flickering Light" will be coming from the German government.
                      So we have the big studios and little Kickstarter projects, JMS is somewhere in between - I don't blame him for trying to make a living, but I agree with KoshN, it sure looks like the B5 ship has sailed.
                      ::sigh:: In that case, why did he say he was discussing something with WB? Any other time something's been dropped, he's simply said so when asked. He hasn't said so yet. All he's said is that he's not gonna say anything until whatever it might be is a completely done deal because he (as well as most of the fanbase) is tired of the 'lucy and the football' effect of having it snatched away at the last minute.

You want to see what JMS actually said, go to the Comic-Con thread and find the link to the video that I posted.

Jan

Comment

Okay, so I'll hold onto my glimmer for a little while longer, but not too tightly. And just to be clear, I consider Crusade part of Babylon 5. Anything set in that universe or reality is Babylon 5 to me.

As far as the glass being half empty, well Babylon 5 is the glass, as far as I am considered. *giggles*

I have looked into his other projects. I've mentioned that Apocolypse Al might be fun, and there was one of his comic series (not sure if it's a series, and can't remember the name) that looked like it might be fun too. I will probably never be able to buy any of them because I am extremely poor, and can only afford to buy stuff like that if it's extremely eptacular.

Not B5, not eptacular. (shakes head) It can be fun, good, interesting, etc, but never eptacular.

Comment

What's "eptacular"?

My advice when it comes to hoping for more B5 is to hope all you want but not be attached to getting it any time soon. Think of Lennier and practice patience and meditation.

Jan

Comment

It's a production company more than a freestanding studio per se. Sound stages, cameras and all that are far more frequently rented than owned anymore. Most production companies are in conjunction with the major studios and are often 'perks' for name stars and directors. This is JMS' own company and I believe he'll be partnering with other companies as needed for the TV shows. He already mentioned that part of the funding for "The Flickering Light" will be coming from the German government.

::sigh:: In that case, why did he say he was discussing something with WB? Any other time something's been dropped, he's simply said so when asked. He hasn't said so yet. All he's said is that he's not gonna say anything until whatever it might be is a completely done deal because he (as well as most of the fanbase) is tired of the 'lucy and the football' effect of having it snatched away at the last minute.

You want to see what JMS actually said, go to the Comic-Con thread and find the link to the video that I posted.

Jan
                            Well cut my suspenders and call me droopy drawers, your say'n Studio JMS is like JJ Abrams 'Bad Robot Productions' - oh.

Well what ever JMS does, I hope he remembers the legion of us B5 fans he created.
                            I can just imagine it now, Joe has finaly taken over Warner Bros. after a dozen super hero movies hits and has the rights to studios full catalog of properties.
                            He turns to Pat as they're settling in for the evening and say's, "Do you ever have feeling you forgot something? Maybe it will come to me later - by the way dear let Londo the cat out before you come upstairs".

Comment

What's "eptacular"?

My advice when it comes to hoping for more B5 is to hope all you want but not be attached to getting it any time soon. Think of Lennier and practice patience and meditation.

Jan

Eptacular = epic + spectacular

At least while I wait I can catch up on Dr Who

Comment

Working...
                              X