X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funkymikemoses
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste
    Or edit it down and plan for the Extended Cut DVD.
    now you're talking!
    *Clicks on intercom*
    Diane, get this man a bag of money!

FMM
    Warners Marketing Division.
    (which would be WMD...Weapons of Mass Destruction...sounds like warners all right...)

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    As long as I get the script, they can do it both ways.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by funkymikemoses
    Unless it's four hours long...they'd have to throw in an intermission at some stage
    Or edit it down and plan for the Extended Cut DVD.

Leave a comment:

• funkymikemoses
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    <<The B5 telemovies were good, but they also looked like super episodes to me, not the "feel" of an actual movie. Maybe it was the pacing.>>

Perhaps with the exception of ItB? I can picture that on the big screen.
    The thing about pacing is that they're designed around the ad breaks and are thus built up accordindly to keep people coming back after people try to sell you cars (as an aside, what is it with buying a new car on presidents day? Was in america around that time and every bloody car advert was stopping just short of ording you to buy a new SUV. Weird...)

Anyway, as a big screen motion picture the structure would be totally different so there'd be no need for the rise and fall feel you get from tv episodes and movies.

Unless it's four hours long...they'd have to throw in an intermission at some stage

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied

Newbies

Welcome, Vortex and charlie. For a lot of discussions and thoughts on the setting and subject for TMoS please feel free to run a search of the forum for previous posts regarding this.

The speculation has run the gamut already and you might find some great thoughts and definately you'll find where wild speculations and errant story ideas were slammed, with people being asked to please keep speculation within some sense of reality.

Vortex, JMS has clearly hinted that TMoS will take place after the events in Objects at Rest, and might well include elements of the Crusade storyline that he wanted to tell but was unable to...such as Technomages, leftover shadowtech, etc.

There is no way he would ever do the previous shadow war.

And Capt. Montoya is right, charlie, JMS has the ability to make TMoS epic in scale. I would expect this film to be heavy in B5 lore and arc material yet written in such a way as to allow new audiences to understand it (and perhaps spurn them to get the DVD's and watch the series after seeing the film). Expect a new big screen feel and look and scope.

It will not feel or look like a 2 hour episode on the big screen. Both JMS and WB know what's riding on this, which I'm sure is why they are taking their time with this and being very precise.

Vortex, we aren't certain just how much re-writing had to be done due to RB death, but JMS did give the impression it wasn't a small thing to do...whether that's from the amount of screentime RB was going to get in the film or because it was a hard struggle for JMS to write out anything for RB we don't know. In either case I'm sure the latter is definately true.

No...if TMoS comes across like a "super episode" then you might as well write off the B5 universe now.

Expect bigger, badder, grander and more epic than you've seen yet.

As I've said before on more than one occasion, TMoS is theatrical, which means it's a whole new ballgame...it's the big leagues. The old rules no longer apply, so don't think in TV terms anymore.

CE

Leave a comment:

• VoRTeX
    replied
    Yeah, but ItB told us about prehistory of B5. Any story that could happen from 2257 and 2267 will look like a long tv episode, i think. It's because there can't be any new or separated storyline and new project will tell us about the B5 story that we already know, just something additional, but not new. Or it can be something like Thirdspace, inserted between episodes, but it again will look like an usual but long tv episode.

I think, it won't be after Minbary war untill 2257, because we know that nothing happened then.

Another variant is 2267+. Something like LotR storyline. Not preferred.

And the best variant IMHO is 2245-, maybe ~1245 (previous Shadow War). But we know that the original B5 casting will be in TMoS and nobody of them lived then. And losing of Richard Biggs forced jms to rewrite scenario a lot. I suppose RB was important person there.

So, i know nothing about TMoS storyline time. Some opinions?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<The B5 telemovies were good, but they also looked like super episodes to me, not the "feel" of an actual movie. Maybe it was the pacing.>>

Perhaps with the exception of ItB? I can picture that on the big screen.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie
    I'm not talking about "cloning" the series - but honoring it, and a firm tie will assure us millions of B5 fans worldwide that this is indeed "the real deal".

Don't forget, it's marketing too, this is a "product" to be packaged and sold. There's no point in making the same mistakes Coca-cola did with their "New Coke" mistake. This movie should be done like the "Cowboy Bebop" movie, sort of an expanded "super episode" in the same form as the original that the fans like so well.
    Welcome Charlie
    I must say that the fact that the Cowboy Bebop movie felt precisely like an "expanded super episode" was a weak point IMO.
    The B5 telemovies were good, but they also looked like super episodes to me, not the "feel" of an actual movie. Maybe it was the pacing.
    I do believe that if B5:TMoS was like that it will have less of an impact on the wider audience. I think it has to look and feel like a movie, not a long TV episode.
    (if you get my meaning, because I don't know how to explain it further)

Leave a comment:

• charlie
    replied
    Hello. just a new guy here posting my 2 cent's worth....

It has to be Christopher Franke again...or somebody copying his style. In B 5 the music was such an integral part of the shows, people have come to expect a certain sound, a certain look, a certain style....why it woudn't be a "real" B5 movie without a direct connection to the original.

Remember the "lousy" first Star Trek movie ? Too many changes happened and the public was outraged. And as much as I love Robert Wise as a director, ( The day the earth stood still among other great films ), the movie seemed too removed and apart from the Star Trek universe for the fans to care much about it.

At any rate, why change a good thing when you allready have it? The present music is grand and sweeping enough isn't it? It's just as fine for the big screen as it is for the little screen, and it will tie the movie even closer to the series.

I'm not talking about "cloning" the series - but honoring it, and a firm tie will assure us millions of B5 fans worldwide that this is indeed "the real deal".

Don't forget, it's marketing too, this is a "product" to be packaged and sold. There's no point in making the same mistakes Coca-cola did with their "New Coke" mistake. This movie should be done like the "Cowboy Bebop" movie, sort of an expanded "super episode" in the same form as the original that the fans like so well.

In short, never mess with a good thing - because you might turn it lousy without knowing it.

Leave a comment:

• funkymikemoses
    replied
    I guess Isaac Hayes or Jan Hammer are out of the question then?

Leave a comment:

• deelsee7
    replied
    I agree that Franke should score TMoS, but if it turns out to revive Crusade as a series, I think Chen should get a chance at scoring the series.

Oooooo... I hope, I hope, I HOPE!

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    I also love the season 5 theme. It just seems to perfectly evoke the epic scope of the B5 saga.

Z'Ha'Dum, Thirdspace & Sleeping In Light, are the other favorites of mine.

B5: TMoS must use Franke for scoring. It would be tragic to not. Just hope he get's to use a very big orchestra and as much time as he needs to compose the thing.

TWT

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<I liked the Season 5 theme from the beginning, indeed the voice clips giving a condensed version of each season were great... but I loved the music, it had an epic, heroic feel, well suited to the birth of the ISA, IMO.>>

Exactly. It...just rocks.

As for the out of control sportsfan fervor, two Saturday game days ago, I saw a bunch of guys almost fight because one truck was decked out in Razorback stuff and the other in Longhorn stuff. They are like cussing and yelling and pointing. The worst part is that the game hadn't even started yet.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I doubt if where I live is likely to have news crews interviewing the lines. Too bad, because TMoS is the one thing I actually will do my best to see the second it opens and I'd be happy to explain to them that my B5 hobby is no different, really from somebody who follows sports. They've got tradin cards, we've got trading cards. They have bobble-heads, we have action figures. They have team jerseys, we've got costuming. And I don't see any difference between a 'bama fan painting himself (I think) red and one of us making up as (fill in the character).

Jan
    Alas, explaining all of that will guarantee that footage of you will end unaired... reporting what people expect is the version of news they want to sell on these topics. Either that or they'll make you (or anyone giving such an explanation) seem like the odd one out...

I liked the Season 5 theme from the beginning, indeed the voice clips giving a condensed version of each season were great... but I loved the music, it had an epic, heroic feel, well suited to the birth of the ISA, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by bakana
    The big challenge with a B5 movie release will be the TV crews who show up at the opening hoping to find people they can film and use on the 11:00PM look at what the Whacko Skiffy Fans are doing This Week News Segment.

It'd be nice if B5 had long lines of Intelligent, Sane Fans waiting to buy their tickets.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there will be the few who will "Go Insane" just so they can get their faces on the GNEWS...
    Well, at the ST: Nemesis release, some dude had this YELLOW Camaro with like autographed pictures somehow printed onto the car. ST, SW, SG-1, B5, etc.

There were a few tables inside the lobby set up: One for promoting a convention the next year, one to join a hippie ST club called the USS Celt and another for something else.

Inside the actual theater, some guy did trivia and handed out toys and stuff for correct answers. One question was "Who was the first teep on B5?" I answered "Lyta Alexander." The guys ignores me and is like "Come on, people!" And this one girl goes, "It was so long ago!" So she says "Um, Talia!" and the guy gives her a prize. My g/f at the time is aghast. Next question was for a G'kar action figure. "Where is this guy's homeworld?" I yell "Narn!" and the guy looks at me and asks again. Someone heard MY ANSWER and repeats it and gets the answer right, and the prize. My g/f starts to protest. Not worth starting a fight with a guy with a beer belly in a red TNG uniform. Asshole.

Oh, the point of all this stuff? It all made the local news.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X