No announcement yet.

What composer we'll hear in TMOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williams is going down, big time. The prequel s-tracks just didn't have that FEEL to them.

It annoyed me that he used music from Indy 3 in The Phantom Menace. I mean...couldn't he come up with anything else?
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Maybe after he saw the film he thought, "Why bother?"

Comment

Originally posted by AislingGrey
        Maybe after he saw the film he thought, "Why bother?"
        Shit, I had a bad day and you just made me laugh. Thanks a lot. I feel a little better now.
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

And still i think that Christopher Franke will be the best for the TMoS. I hope that all babylon atmosphere will be saved and i think that without Franke it is impossible.

(writing that and listening the Objects at Rest (Part 1))

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
            Horner can do fine work, as demonstrated by films like An American Tail, but he seems to fall into a horrible pattern of self-plagiarism when it comes to anything in the action-adventure-SF arena. His scores for The Wrath of Khan, Krull and Aliens are almost indistinguishable. I wouldn't want to let him anywhere near TMoS, I'd end up humming the score before seeing the movie.

Regards,

Joe
            And even "Wrath of Khan" blatantly imitated his score for "Wolfen". In his defense, though, Cameron only gave Horner several weeks to come up with a score for "Aliens". At the time, he was pissed and swore not to work with Cameron again, then came "Titanic." Not to mention the fact that the "Aliens" soundtrack has got to be one of the most popular movie trailer temporary music selections in history.

Any quotes about Franke and B5 apply more to television projects. The problem with a big studio film is how much politicking will be going on with regard to choice of director, cinematographer, set design, composer, etc, etc. Hopefully, these decisions will remain with JMS for the most part.
            Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Its not as if Franke hasn't done his share of movie scores either.

Ever hear of Tangerine Dream?
              "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

to be honest by the end of CRUSADE, Chens' music was really beginning to grow on me.

I suppose a lot like Chris Franke on B5 - the further into the series we went the more epic the music became.
                Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Not to mention the fact that the "Aliens" soundtrack has got to be one of the most popular movie trailer temporary music selections in history.
                  That's only because everyone _finally_ got tired of using Carmina Burana! I used to represent that work in my publishing house, and seriously, there was a period in the 90s where a good third-to-half of my workweek was spent dealing with requests to use Carmina Burana in trailers.

Another one I hear once in awhile as a temporary music bed in a trailer is the score from Bram Stoker's "Dracula."

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

Originally posted by circularREASON
                    I suppose a lot like Chris Franke on B5 - the further into the series we went the more epic the music became.
                    Yep, for me the single greatest anticipation for the new season wasn't the revelations of the plot (those were always in episodes 3+ it seemed) but the new theme.

It took great strength of will for me to continue watching/taping the first ep of Season 5 and not rewinding on the spot to re-hear that theme. I was honestly convinced that there was no way he could top the season 4 theme, but he did, and in a totally new way. I think I wore that tape out just listening to the theme again and again before the second episode.

In fact, I am going to go put the Season 5 theme on right now. Wowsa. Me wants more Franke, blasting out of bigger speakers than I can afford. That means the cinema speakers.
                    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

I heard some people didn't like the S5 theme. I love it. I think of it as the ISA anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                        I heard some people didn't like the S5 theme. I love it. I think of it as the ISA anthem.
                        Got to be honest with you ZHD, I was one of the slightly sceptical ones regarding the S5 theme. Don't get me wrong, the opening section that contains the sequences of dialogue is beautifully atmospheric. It was the main section that I took a awfully long time to get used to. It just did not seem to be B5ish enough. Even the radical departure that was the season 3 theme was still brilliant because of the reference back to the Minbari War. This new piece just didn't seem to connect to anything. But then, I suppose that you could be right in that the ISA is new and does not connect to anything else in exactly the same way. It just took a LOOOOOONG time for it to settle on me.

That said, it is a fine piece in itself. And now (after many replays) I like it just fine.
                        http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                        Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                        47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Any quotes about Franke and B5 apply more to television projects. The problem with a big studio film is how much politicking will be going on with regard to choice of director, cinematographer, set design, composer, etc, etc.
                          The studio will obviously make the final decision on the director, although they'll just as obviously have to pick one that JMS can work with. Chances are the director will get to pick the cinematographer. But "composer" is so far down the list of key positions and has so little effect on ticket sales that I seriously doubt WB would object if JMS said, "It has to be Chris Franke". This isn't going to be a from-scratch "reimagining" of some long-dead TV show with a new cast, look and attitude like Mission: Impossible, The Addams Family, Charlie's Angels, the upcoming Dukes of Hazard or any number of other recent travesties. It is going to be a translation of the original show to the big screen, more like the Trek films than anything else. And that means retaining as many familiar elements as possible. There's basically no reason not to use Franke if he and JMS are interested in his doing the film. He'll probably work a bit cheaper than a "name" movie composer, he's managed the rare feat of actually selling soundtracks to TV episodes on CD, so he's as good a bet for some ancillary income in that area as anyone else, and his would be one more on-screen credit for the hard-core fans to applaud when the movie opens. And satisfying the hard-core fans is going to be very important for the first week the film is in theaters. (After that it will depend on word-of-mouth and repeat business. Speaking of which, let's all remember that most true "blockbuster" films achieve that status because of the people who go back to see a film again and again, not because they sold so many tickets to unique individuals. So plan on seeing TMoS in theaters at least two or three times. And bring your friends. It would be a huge vindication for JMS, the cast, the crew and us fans if "the little show that could" turned out to produce not a moderate profit, but a honking big box office take for the studio.)

Regards,

Joe
                          Joseph DeMartino
                          Sigh Corps
                          Pat Tallman Division

Comment

So plan on seeing TMoS in theaters at least two or three times.
                            Only two or three?

Oh, you meant two or three times a week.

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

The big challenge with a B5 movie release will be the TV crews who show up at the opening hoping to find people they can film and use on the 11:00PM look at what the Whacko Skiffy Fans are doing This Week News Segment.

It'd be nice if B5 had long lines of Intelligent, Sane Fans waiting to buy their tickets.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there will be the few who will "Go Insane" just so they can get their faces on the GNEWS...

Comment

Originally posted by bakana
                                The big challenge with a B5 movie release will be the TV crews who show up at the opening hoping to find people they can film and use on the 11:00PM look at what the Whacko Skiffy Fans are doing This Week News Segment.

It'd be nice if B5 had long lines of Intelligent, Sane Fans waiting to buy their tickets.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there will be the few who will "Go Insane" just so they can get their faces on the GNEWS...
                                I doubt if where I live is likely to have news crews interviewing the lines. Too bad, because TMoS is the one thing I actually will do my best to see the second it opens and I'd be happy to explain to them that my B5 hobby is no different, really from somebody who follows sports. They've got tradin cards, we've got trading cards. They have bobble-heads, we have action figures. They have team jerseys, we've got costuming. And I don't see any difference between a 'bama fan painting himself (I think) red and one of us making up as (fill in the character).

Jan
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X