Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looney
    replied
    I had to dig up this old thread after watching A Call To Arms the other night. I own this soundtrack and am listening to it as I type this. I enjoy most of it, but it definitely does not work with the movie. There are times when it distracts from the movie. I think there were just poor choices made of when and where to use what.

I am pretty sure A Call To Arms is my 2nd favorite B5 movie. Where I find it deficient is that the music doesn't seem to always fit and not enough original B5 cast members show up. Zack shows up, but he isn't in it enough. That being said there really isn't much of a place for him in the plot after Dureena is explained, so to speak. The same can be said for Lochley. I also really don't care for them deciding to use Marjean Holden. Absolutely nothing against her, but to have her in both as different characters just really didn't work and was obvious. Not that I want her out of Crusade. I think a skillful re-edit of A Call To Arms can easily replace her few scenes with someone else.

Where A Call To Arms is great is that it is a setup for Crusade without seeming like a direct pilot. I love that we are introduced to the problem and a few characters, but we're still in the Babylon 5 realm. I also think the twist is absolutely brilliant. I also think this is one of the best things Tony Todd has done.

I could go on and on, but I'll save it in case I find an A Call To Arms specific thread instead of one just about the music.

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    I think I did.

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    Did someone include Rick Wakeman in their list of composers? Because last night I saw the Yes 35th anniversary concert on PBS, and I was astounded by Wakeman's talent and abilities. I've never seen him play live. I knew he was an incredible talent, but I didn't realise how incredible he is. I sat there with my jaw hanging open. Steve Howe is a great guitarist as well, but in some of the tricky instrumental moments he seemed to struggle a little, and all the while Wakeman was giving him those playful "keep up, don't fall behind" glances. What a show!

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    Got it in one Mr. Garabaldi!

Or I should say Mr. Z'ha'dumDweller.

TWT

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynn2000
    Actually the Tron 2.0 game won a number of game of the year awards. Boxleitner is a voice actor in the game.
    Tron's my favorite movie. Then E.T. and Star Wars after that.

TWT
    That explains your user name. No pun intended.

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    Actually the Tron 2.0 game won a number of game of the year awards. Boxleitner is a voice actor in the game.
    Tron's my favorite movie. Then E.T. and Star Wars after that.

TWT

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Was a second Tron made? I remember only one with awful colors.
    There was an attempt revive the whole deal with a new film and big franchising a couple years ago, on it's 20th anniversary. It fell through quite rapidly though, only thing it left behind were a few sub-par video games. So no.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Well, it might make you feel better to know that Bruce actually has a fairly high TV-Q. He's one of those actors that, if you're in a room and caused a pregnant silence by declaring that you like a show called "Babylon 5" (and nobody there is an sf person), and start naming the actors, there will be blank stares until you get to his name. Then, the sun comes out from behind the clouds and everyone tells you how much they really like Bruce. Somehow, everybody knows him from _something_, whether it's Tron, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, or one of those Lifetime movies.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, for someone who "never made it big," he's actually fairly well known.

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<Unless by "made it big" you only mean film?>>

I am glad you noticed the quotes. Lots of people fail to do so.

I mean by "made it big" that me and you think he is freaking awesome, but if we tell John or Jane Q. Viewer he is awesome, they will go "Huh? No...Vin Diesel is awesome! John Travolta is awesome!" People in general are trendy, but I've always been a nonconformist, and when it comes to my favorite actors, I go for the hidden gems.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Was a second Tron made? I remember only one with awful colors.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    I like Bruce a lot. He is one of those actors who "never made it big" but are just freaking awesome.
    Never made it big? He's worked more than many actors. He's not as ubiquitous as Gary Cole, but he's worked a _lot_ in his career.

Unless by "made it big" you only mean film?

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    I was six when I first saw Tron on television. I liked it a lot. I liked Boxleitner so much that later I followed Scarecrow and Mrs. King which wasn't for you average eight-year old. Later, in like 1990, when I began writing SW fan fiction (all new characters of my own, not about Luke and Han) I modeled the main character after Bruce. When my son was born three years ago, I named him after that character.

I wasn't big on TG when it first came out, but when I heard Boxleitner was the new lead, I watched the show as much as I could, but by then I'd gotten a job at a restaurant, so I couldn't watch it much.

I like Bruce a lot. He is one of those actors who "never made it big" but are just freaking awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    I was unaware of Bruce Boxlietner's involvement in Tron. The monochromatic filming makes it difficult for me to watch. Perhaps I should give it another try.
    Bruce is actually the title character - 'though he's more easily visible as the nerdish/glasses kind of guy who opens the movie (and the creator of said Tron). The lighting in that film is pretty crappy.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Bruce Boxleitner isn't the only B5 alum in Tron; look closely and you'll find Peter Jurasik there, too. And in a scene with Bruce, no less!

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Thanks very much for the information about the composers I was unfamiliar with! I am fond of some of the films mentioned as well, especially for the music in them - Conan the Barbarian and Hunt for Red October jump out from the list.

Perosnally, I have no interest in horror movies hence my total ignorance of anything related to that field.

I was unaware of Bruce Boxlietner's involvement in Tron. The monochromatic filming makes it difficult for me to watch. Perhaps I should give it another try.

The good news is that there are so many very talented folks out there who can provide music that pleases so many people.

I keep coming back to the scoring of Star Trek VI which broke the traditional Trek mold. Cliff Eidelman provided a very dark, yet compelling score unlike any Trek score before, but it worked very well.

Trek IV also broke the mold in the opposite direction. Leonard Rosenman's music was quite a jolt in the theater the first time I heard it. It sounded like "Mary Poppins in Space" to me. But it grew after several viewings and listening.

When the time comes, I am sure great music will accompany "TMoS".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X