No announcement yet.

A Call to Arms Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My, but you are so photogenic! Wish I was. My pictures all come out with me looking like a GOON. A bouncer would look at my driver's license (when they actually thought I was underage) and ask "which hockey team do you play for?"
    "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

Hrm. Apparently, I've been slammed. I don't quite get the point of it, but it's obviously a slam.

Don't think I won't be watching you carefully from now on, bakana!
      No, No. Not a slam.

I was thinking about the post where you said you are re-evaluating some of your priorities or something to that effect...

Now I've gotta go back and look.
      Ah, here it is...

but I'm having identity issues of late and felt like I needed something closer to reality.
      So, who IS that Masked Woman?

Comment

Thank you, Ben-Thayer!

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

Okay, bakana - I think I get it, now! Threat retracted.

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

Hi KoshN. Try John Carpenters Escape From New York score.

And I worship Michael Kamen's Die Hard music, also thought Open Range was nice too. It's tragic he died so young.

TWT

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn2000
              Hi KoshN. Try John Carpenters Escape From New York score.
              Will do, when I get time. Currently I'm verifying that all of my B5 S5 and B5 Movie Collection discs play perfectly. So far, only Thirdspace has a glitch (mark that won't wash off, and causes hanging/skipping).

And I worship Michael Kamen's Die Hard music, also thought Open Range was nice too.
              Don't remember the music from the Die Hard movies, and never saw Open Range. The Dead Zone music stuck with me though. When he was composing it, he gave the neighbors nightmares.

It's tragic he died so young.
              True. He certainly seemed to be having fun in his IMDb pic. Sort of looked like Salmoneus from "Hercules - The Legendary Journeys" ....but with wild hair.
              Mac Breck (KoshN)
              ------------------
              Warner Brothers is Lucy.
              JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
              Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

I have a moment to add to the conversation here, so here goes again.

Flynn2000 wrote some interesting comments. About Chen, I think you are thinking clearly but I still do not 100% agree with your conclusion. Personally, I think Chen's best work was for "A Call to Arms" and the "Crusade" theme.

I enjoy Chen's radical departure from the full colorful scores of Franke.

[Oddly, Franke will forever be in my mind connected with Tangerine Dream - a pop group - so it is difficult for me to take his music terribly seriously even though I very much enjoy much of it. (I'll explain that comment later!)]

Flynn2000 listed some composers he likes - an eclectic list!:

John Barry
                Don Davis
                Keith Emerson
                John Williams
                Basil Poledouris
                John Carpenter
                The Prog Rock group: Goblin
                Ennio Morricone
                Christopher Franke
                David Arnold
                Barry Gray
                early, James Horner
                Wendy Carlos

I must admit I have absolutely no idea who some of those people are. - -

Don Davis
                Basil Poledouris
                John Carpenter
                The Prog Rock group: Goblin
                David Arnold
                Barry Gray

Is John Carpenter of "The Carpenters"?

Walter/Wendy Carlos isn't a composer. He/She is a person who transcribes the work of others into electronic sound. Before his sex change operation, Walter was one of the early masters of the Moog Synthesizer. Funny, you won't find any documentation about his change into a her. But if you lived through the 1970's , you witnissed it!

Based on the history of Babylon 5, my hope is that Christopher Franke is selected for the movie score - if the movie is about Babylon 5. It the movie is about Crusade, I would hope Evan Chen is given another chance to prove himself.

Now, about that earlier comment about Franke. I don't own all of the CD's that were released. The first two were dissapointing to me so I stopped buying them. I thought the first one was especially bad. I wanted to hear the theme music from the first season and instead I got long meangering essays of themes from the season sewn together rather randomly. I wasn't impressed with his organizational skill. BUT, for scoring a teleplay he is fantastic as we all know! He's just not a symphonic composer. He tried to be one, and in my opinion he made a fool of himself.
                Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
                Kosovo: 1999, 2004
                New York City: September 11, 2001
                Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
                Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
                http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

<<Don Davis>>

I enjoyed him as General Hammond, too!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Hi Michael.

I agree with you about Chen's Crusade theme. Good stuff.

The answers to your questions:

John Carpenter is the movie director (Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, Big Trouble In Little China, etc.) but, he also writes and preforms music for most of his films.

Wendy/Walter Carlos wrote the score to my favorit film "Tron", you know the with Bruce Boxleitner. The score is a combination of synth and a full orchestra. It's a beautiful and totaly underratedscore I think. The other movies Carlos did was "A Clockwork Orange" and parts of "The Shinning". And I believe that she has also done original works.

TWT

Comment

Some of the other people you wanted to know about Michael:

Don Davis: Best Known for his scoring of the Matrix trillogy.

Basil Poledouris: Conan the Barbarian, RoboCop, The Hunt for Red October, etc.

David Arnold: Independence Day, the last three James Bond movies and others.

Barry Gray: Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Super Car and the other Gerry Anderson Supermarianation shows. He also did UFO and the first year of Space 1999. British stuff.

Goblin: Italian group that did many horror and thriller scores. They started out as a progresive rock group and played there own instruments for the scoring. They usualy mix a rock music sound with traditional ochestral sound. They are closely associated with the great Italian director Dario Argento. Together they did movies like Suspiria, Tenebre, Profundo Rosso (Deep Red) etc. In the States they did the music for George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead. You may not of heard of these movies but most are quite good. Dawn of the Dead, Suspiria, and Deep Red are full out masterpiece.

Anyway I hope that helps.

TWT

Comment

Thanks very much for the information about the composers I was unfamiliar with! I am fond of some of the films mentioned as well, especially for the music in them - Conan the Barbarian and Hunt for Red October jump out from the list.

Perosnally, I have no interest in horror movies hence my total ignorance of anything related to that field.

I was unaware of Bruce Boxlietner's involvement in Tron. The monochromatic filming makes it difficult for me to watch. Perhaps I should give it another try.

The good news is that there are so many very talented folks out there who can provide music that pleases so many people.

I keep coming back to the scoring of Star Trek VI which broke the traditional Trek mold. Cliff Eidelman provided a very dark, yet compelling score unlike any Trek score before, but it worked very well.

Trek IV also broke the mold in the opposite direction. Leonard Rosenman's music was quite a jolt in the theater the first time I heard it. It sounded like "Mary Poppins in Space" to me. But it grew after several viewings and listening.

When the time comes, I am sure great music will accompany "TMoS".
                        Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
                        Kosovo: 1999, 2004
                        New York City: September 11, 2001
                        Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
                        Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
                        http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

Bruce Boxleitner isn't the only B5 alum in Tron; look closely and you'll find Peter Jurasik there, too. And in a scene with Bruce, no less!

Amy

Comment

I was unaware of Bruce Boxlietner's involvement in Tron. The monochromatic filming makes it difficult for me to watch. Perhaps I should give it another try.
                            Bruce is actually the title character - 'though he's more easily visible as the nerdish/glasses kind of guy who opens the movie (and the creator of said Tron). The lighting in that film is pretty crappy.
                            Radhil Trebors
                            Persona Under Construction

Comment

I was six when I first saw Tron on television. I liked it a lot. I liked Boxleitner so much that later I followed Scarecrow and Mrs. King which wasn't for you average eight-year old. Later, in like 1990, when I began writing SW fan fiction (all new characters of my own, not about Luke and Han) I modeled the main character after Bruce. When my son was born three years ago, I named him after that character.

I wasn't big on TG when it first came out, but when I heard Boxleitner was the new lead, I watched the show as much as I could, but by then I'd gotten a job at a restaurant, so I couldn't watch it much.

I like Bruce a lot. He is one of those actors who "never made it big" but are just freaking awesome.
                              Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I like Bruce a lot. He is one of those actors who "never made it big" but are just freaking awesome.
                                Never made it big? He's worked more than many actors. He's not as ubiquitous as Gary Cole, but he's worked a _lot_ in his career.

Unless by "made it big" you only mean film?

Amy

Comment

Working...
                                X