No announcement yet.

A Call to Arms Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting is hard. I'm going to stop now.

I really wish I had a way to say I only wanted to defend the music of Evan Chen and that I thought he was unjustly dismissed utterly. His music appeals to me as an individual.

My musical background is extremely eclectic, but I like it that way. I did the military thing to avoid fighting in a war I could not support. In the university I played in the symphony orchestra instead of Ohio State's famous marching band because I love classical music. Another choice I made was learning to play ancient instruments - baroque trumpet and cornetto which I played in a cornett and sackbutt ensemble for about 25 years. I love some popular music like Steeleye Span and Bob Dylan. In recent years I converted to the Russian Orthodox Church and and studied their choral traditions at a monastery in Jordanville, New York. I now lead a choir in a Russian Orthodox Church in Columbus. I'm also minor clergy in the Church - a Reader (Psalomschchick).

I say this not out of pride, but to clarify my perhaps confusing positions to those of you who are certainly younger than me.

I love Babylon 5 and Crusade. I very much admire the talent and creative ability of JMS and the many artists gathered around him who brought his visions to life for all of us.

I need to take a break from the forum for a while. I'm not going away angry. I simply need to concentrate on other work now.

Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
    Kosovo: 1999, 2004
    New York City: September 11, 2001
    Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
    Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
    http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Malloy
      I really wish I had a way to say I only wanted to defend the music of Evan Chen and that I thought he was unjustly dismissed utterly. His music appeals to me as an individual.
      That came across just fine.

Enjoy your break and I hope to see you again.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Wow, NotKosh! Excellent examples of composers. And Frank Zappa.......how did I not remember him? I could be in for a visit from the Central Sccccrrrrrrrutinizer

And Capt. Montoya, Keith Emerson! Another excellent mention!

I just wish I'd thought of them.

KoshN, from my personal experience with musicians I can't say overall that they're closed minded, at least not any more than other people. But they are VERY passionate about the subject. And a lot of the musicians I know seem to have more passion about the music they hate than the music they love.
        "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

One thing is constant: the cultural gap between the musically informed and the uninformed is as great now or worse than it was when I was earning my degree in music.

Opinion and taste are negotiable - that is not the question and I have no argument with a person who offers an "opinion" as such. A person who makes a false statement of "fact" had better be prepared to back up that statement or look like an idiot. This forum is inhabited by numerous loud mouthed idiots.
          Okay, 'fess up. Who created this "Michael Malloy" schtick? it is brilliant, and you had me going for a while, but you gave yourself away with the pretense that you were someone with 10 posts who could judge the entire board as being inhabited by "numerous loud mouthed idiots." First, Joe DeM and i are not "numerous," and second, tne whole "false statement of fact" was made by you, whoever you are.

I suspect vacantlook. He has that kind of sense of humor.

So, whoever you are, thanks for the laugh but you can knock it off, now. We have seen through the joke.
          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Fighting is hard. I'm going to stop now.
            Oh. Nevermind my post above, then. Makes me even more convinced that this is vl, though, because he knows how far to carry a joke.
            I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

I'm real. I just don't understnad the pit bull mentality on this forum.

!. Evan Chen is not as bad as some of you think.

2. Music is not simply a matter of plugging wires into amplifiers and turning knobs high enough to bring blood out of the ears of listeners.

3. Some people have a kinder approach to life and getting along with others.
              Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004

Comment

Michael,

I really don't understand what you see as "pit bull mentality" here.

Regarding your specific points:

1) Opinions are subjective. You can't explain to someone why they should like something, and expect it to do any good, because logic doesn't generally enter into matters of aesthetics. Personally, I never said Evan Chen's music was "bad." Just that it wasn't necessarily to my taste.

2) I take exception to this. Just because I don't particularly care for Evan Chen's music doesn't mean that all I listen to is headbanger stuff. I have some very eclectic stuff in my collection, from rock and punk, through folk, electronica, ska, Broadway, operetta, opera, and _plenty_ of serious music, ranging from ancient to contemporary.

3) I think that most of the negative commentary showed up after you insisted that folks needed a degree in musicology in order to have an opinion about music. But even with some of that stuff, it's a generally positive place here. I'm really flummoxed as to where you've gotten this strange opinion of this particular online community.

I'm truly sorry that things got off to such a bad foot in this thread, Michael, but I honestly think that if you took a deep breath or two and took a _good_ look around here, you'd find that there are some very nice people having some very interesting conversations. It's definitely worth sticking around, especially since there's likely to be lots of B5 news in the coming months.

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

I think most of the "pit bull" mentality was expressed only in the very first post here. Which was only one line, and offered no rational or irrational reasoning for it's dislike of Chen. Everything else was misunderstandings and misassumptions.

Which makes me wonder why so many people got worked up in this thread over a drive-by trolling. That's all I see, really. One line a git could come up with, and did.
                  Radhil Trebors
                  Persona Under Construction

Comment

Don't agree that the comment "A Call to Arms Music:
                    By far and away the worst music ever in babylon 5" was a troll. We are talking here about one of the truth strengths of the original B5 series, the music, and so some music could be bery good and still be "the worst music ever in babylon 5." Jack didn't say the music was horrible, he just said it was the worst in B5.

No, if you look at the start of the thread, it consists of a negative statement without any suporting arguments, followed by 4 posts that disagreed with the intitial sentiment for various reasons, followed by Michael Malloy's accusation that "this thread is a vicious attack on Evan Chen" and by his announcement of the necessary credentials needed to criticize musc, and things went south from there.

I still think it likely that someone is pulling our legs. No one on this board reacts in reality like MM to the comments made before him in the thread, and it seems to me much like similar stunts I have seen people pull with "sock puppets" on other boards.

Comment

I assure you, "Grumbler", I am not a fraud.

Thank you, Amy, for your clarity of thought. Very nice photo, by the way. I wish I had one as flattering of myself to share.

I'm honestly a 57 year old man, bald and with a long white beard. Children mistake me for Santa Claus, but I tell them I'm "Ded Morosh" instead, which confuses the heck out of them unless they are Russian!

I just changed my sig file. I had no idea it would instantly show up retroactive for every post I've made so far. It's a fair giveaway to my true nature in spite of my argumentative posts early on here.
                      Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004

Comment

Hi, Michael, and thank you for being willing to try and stick it out here! I'm sure you'll find that most of the conversation is less controversial, and I think your voice is a worthy addition to the mayhem.

Although, a little controversy is good. It puts hair on your chest. :-)

And, thanks for the kind words about the picture. It was taken this afternoon as a headshot for an audition I'm going on tomorrow - it's been years since I had a headshot and needed a new one! I was a little anxious after I replaced my old avatar with a real photo (ack!), but I'm having identity issues of late and felt like I needed something closer to reality.

Incidentally, some of my heritage is Russian, too (Ukrainian, actually). My maternal great-grandparents came from Odessa, although seeing pictures makes me think that great-grandmom might have actually been Siberian, and that she only moved to Odessa after marrying.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope we'll be hearing more from you.

Amy

Comment

AislingGrey, judging by a couple of your recent posts, maybe you should get one of the buttons that reads:

Be Kind. Be patient.
                          Evolution isn't finished with me yet.

Comment

I wonder if the problem was that Chen was just not suited for film scoring? He might have talents in other areas, just not for putting the right kind of music in at the right time.

Too be honest, I didn't realy see any evidence that Chen understood how to score for film, during the 15 hours of Crusade he did. The one exception I will give him was the ep: Path of Sorrows. I did kind of like that one and I also realy liked his main theme, but thats about it.

Now I don't have any training in film scoring but, the kind of music I listen too is film music. I have been in love with film scores since seeing Star Wars at age 8. So I do think I have a bit of knowledge of what works and what doesn't in that area. That is just my opinion however.

Some composers I like are:
                            John Barry
                            Don Davis
                            Keith Emerson
                            John Williams
                            Basil Poledouris
                            John Carpenter
                            The Prog Rock group: Goblin
                            Ennio Morricone
                            Christopher Franke
                            David Arnold
                            Barry Gray
                            early, James Horner
                            Wendy Carlos

TWT

Comment

AislingGrey, judging by a couple of your recent posts, maybe you should get one of the buttons that reads:

Be Kind. Be patient.
                              Evolution isn't finished with me yet.
                              Hrm. Apparently, I've been slammed. I don't quite get the point of it, but it's obviously a slam.

Don't think I won't be watching you carefully from now on, bakana!

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn2000

Some composers I like are:
                                John Carpenter
                                Ennio Morricone
                                Christopher Franke

Halloween (none of John Carpenter's other ones stick with me)
                                The Thing (1982) - Ennio Morricone
                                B5 -Christopher Franke

How about Michael Kamen ? (The Dead Zone, 1983)
                                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                                ------------------
                                Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                                JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                                Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Working...
                                X