No announcement yet.

A Call to Arms Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have very limited experience with on-line discussion boards, but there are two things that have always amazed me. One gets discussed a lot, so I won't retread that ground, but I wanted to quickly mention the second.

I have a great deal of respect for the members who are not native English speakers and come to this board to discuss with us complex scientific concepts, social issues, philosophy, etc. The more limited a person's experience with a language, the more courage it must take to jump in to the deep, nuanced and sometimes harsh conversations that can be found here. SearchingGirl is an inspiring example because you can see the effort. My hat's off to all of you, even if you do it so well, I don't even notice! Thanks for your efforts and your ideas!
    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Well,it will maybe come as a shock for you,but most of B5 fans are not located in the US or England thus our mother tongue is not English.

Rock on.
      Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Malloy
        There is more to life than finding every possible fault in every person one encounters.

Some of you might try it some time. It's a lot more enjoyable way to live.
        Very true. A lesson to us all.

Of course, it's so easy to find the obvious and glaring faults, sometimes we just can't help ourselves. It's just fun!
        Radhil Trebors
        Persona Under Construction

Comment

Michael,

Hey man, not everyone here bashed you, I backed you big time. Didn't you notice?

"Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative" - Johnny Mercer

BTD
          "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1
            Well,it will maybe come as a shock for you,but most of B5 fans are not located in the US or England thus our mother tongue is not English.
            No, no shock. My comment was about participation in a discussion board such as this, not the diversity of B5 fans. Never gave too much thought about how many US fans, and how many worldwide fans there might be, since a B5 fan is a B5 fan to me.
            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
              Never gave too much thought about how many US fans, and how many worldwide fans there might be, since a B5 fan is a B5 fan to me.
              Amen! And some of the greatest people in any universe as I've had made abundantly clear in my fundraising efforts!

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
                since a B5 fan is a B5 fan to me.
                I have a tear in my eye
                Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1 I have a tear in my eye
                  (Queue stirring background music -- Would that be Franke or Chen?!?!? )

Comment

Re: Re: A Call to Arms Music

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
                    Mmhh... not the worse.

"... and we will come together in a better place.... "

'nuff said.
                    Gah! <shudder> You've got that right.

Chen's music grew on me over time. I quite like the Crusade Main Title music and the end music (except for the end "music" of "Ruling from the Tomb" which was not music and was hideous.).

One thing I've noticed about some musicians, they tend to be very strongly opinionated, and sometimes almost totally closed off to the opinions of non-musicians.
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                    JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                    Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

And Amy, my dear precious ever so experienced Amy, grow up! I visited your web site and viewed your photos. For someone who spouts off about having a lifetime of experience blah, blah, blah, with the most esteemed professionals in the world, you must have started your alleged carreer 20 years before you were born! Your photos show a girl of about 25 at the most. So, don't presume to lecture me about experience and professionalism. I out rank you on age alone. I have to be older than your father.
                      I'm running out the door and don't have time to reply in detail to all of the very interesting commentary on this thread today, but I couldn't pass this one by.

Michael - and, I'll leave the patronizing qualifiers out - thank you very much for making my day! All of the pictures on my various sites are fairly current (within the last year on the Wall of Sound and shamanic journeying circle pages, and the Rangermobile pictures are from 2002), and...I'm nearly 20 years older than your estimate. I'm going to be 42 next month. And, for the record, I've spent most of my adult working life in the music industry.

So anyway....many thanks for your kind compliment!

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Comment

One thing is constant: the cultural gap between the musically informed and the uninformed is as great now or worse than it was when I was earning my degree in music.
                        Michael, I can't speak to anything here that wasn't _my_ point...but my point does still stand: this has nothing to do with a culture gap, or experience, or musical education. This is simply a matter of taste. And, there is simply no accounting for taste. I truly do not believe that my education or vast professional experience in the serious music world gives me more of a right to like or dislike Evan Chen's music than anyone else here. And that's pretty much the only point I'm trying to make.

A person who makes a false statement of "fact" had better be prepared to back up that statement or look like an idiot. This forum is inhabited by numerous loud mouthed idiots.
                        Agreed. But where was this false statement of fact? If you're referring once again to the original post, which was "By far and away the worst music ever in babylon 5," well, come now: do you really think that anyone took that as anything but opinion?

I'm sorry you feel that people here are so disagreeable. Sure, there are always the occasional nasty loudmouths anywhere you go in cyberspace, but for the most part, all that's happening here is that people are disagreeing about the music, and about your statements that they aren't schooled enough to have opinions on it. I don't think anyone's gotten out of hand here, really.

And finally, to reiterate what I stated in my previous note: I'm quite a bit older than you assumed from my photos, so yes, I do in fact have a fair number of years of experience working in the professional music industry.

Comment

Jerry Goldsmith (serious genius here. I can not under-recommend 13th Warrior soundtrack)
                          The stock response from me every time someone says wonderingly as we watch the credits roll for something, "Oh, Jerry Goldsmith did the score for that (film/tv show)?" is: "What didn't Jerry Goldsmith compose??"

He is, indeed, ubiquitous. If nothing else, the guy's got quantity as his badge of honor.

Comment

I think manager is the word you are looking for.
                            Hi, searching girl!

Regarding the above, iamsheridan is correct. When I first started working in the music publishing house (and by the way, the parent company is Schott Mainz!), I remember seeing the term "chef dirigent" often, and until I looked in a German/English dictionary, I wondered why so many orchestras had their cooks (Koch) listed so prominently, as such an important employee, usually at the top of their letterhead (Briefkopf)!

Of course I finally figured out that it meant "chief conductor." :-)

Comment

and inadvertently complimented her
                              Woo hoo! Go, me!

(As one of my best girlfriends loves to say to me, "You haven't got a line on you, you bitch." <g>)

Comment

Originally posted by AislingGrey
                                Woo hoo! Go, me!

(As one of my best girlfriends loves to say to me, "You haven't got a line on you, you bitch." <g>)
                                Hrmph. I've god damned few lines myself. What I've got is gray/silver hair! Hrmph.

Jan
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X