Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    I assure you, "Grumbler", I am not a fraud.

Thank you, Amy, for your clarity of thought. Very nice photo, by the way. I wish I had one as flattering of myself to share.

I'm honestly a 57 year old man, bald and with a long white beard. Children mistake me for Santa Claus, but I tell them I'm "Ded Morosh" instead, which confuses the heck out of them unless they are Russian!

I just changed my sig file. I had no idea it would instantly show up retroactive for every post I've made so far. It's a fair giveaway to my true nature in spite of my argumentative posts early on here.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Don't agree that the comment "A Call to Arms Music:
    By far and away the worst music ever in babylon 5" was a troll. We are talking here about one of the truth strengths of the original B5 series, the music, and so some music could be bery good and still be "the worst music ever in babylon 5." Jack didn't say the music was horrible, he just said it was the worst in B5.

No, if you look at the start of the thread, it consists of a negative statement without any suporting arguments, followed by 4 posts that disagreed with the intitial sentiment for various reasons, followed by Michael Malloy's accusation that "this thread is a vicious attack on Evan Chen" and by his announcement of the necessary credentials needed to criticize musc, and things went south from there.

I still think it likely that someone is pulling our legs. No one on this board reacts in reality like MM to the comments made before him in the thread, and it seems to me much like similar stunts I have seen people pull with "sock puppets" on other boards.

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    I think most of the "pit bull" mentality was expressed only in the very first post here. Which was only one line, and offered no rational or irrational reasoning for it's dislike of Chen. Everything else was misunderstandings and misassumptions.

Which makes me wonder why so many people got worked up in this thread over a drive-by trolling. That's all I see, really. One line a git could come up with, and did.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Michael,

I really don't understand what you see as "pit bull mentality" here.

Regarding your specific points:

1) Opinions are subjective. You can't explain to someone why they should like something, and expect it to do any good, because logic doesn't generally enter into matters of aesthetics. Personally, I never said Evan Chen's music was "bad." Just that it wasn't necessarily to my taste.

2) I take exception to this. Just because I don't particularly care for Evan Chen's music doesn't mean that all I listen to is headbanger stuff. I have some very eclectic stuff in my collection, from rock and punk, through folk, electronica, ska, Broadway, operetta, opera, and _plenty_ of serious music, ranging from ancient to contemporary.

3) I think that most of the negative commentary showed up after you insisted that folks needed a degree in musicology in order to have an opinion about music. But even with some of that stuff, it's a generally positive place here. I'm really flummoxed as to where you've gotten this strange opinion of this particular online community.

I'm truly sorry that things got off to such a bad foot in this thread, Michael, but I honestly think that if you took a deep breath or two and took a _good_ look around here, you'd find that there are some very nice people having some very interesting conversations. It's definitely worth sticking around, especially since there's likely to be lots of B5 news in the coming months.

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    I'm real. I just don't understnad the pit bull mentality on this forum.

!. Evan Chen is not as bad as some of you think.

2. Music is not simply a matter of plugging wires into amplifiers and turning knobs high enough to bring blood out of the ears of listeners.

3. Some people have a kinder approach to life and getting along with others.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Malloy
    Fighting is hard. I'm going to stop now.
    Oh. Nevermind my post above, then. Makes me even more convinced that this is vl, though, because he knows how far to carry a joke.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    One thing is constant: the cultural gap between the musically informed and the uninformed is as great now or worse than it was when I was earning my degree in music.

Opinion and taste are negotiable - that is not the question and I have no argument with a person who offers an "opinion" as such. A person who makes a false statement of "fact" had better be prepared to back up that statement or look like an idiot. This forum is inhabited by numerous loud mouthed idiots.
    Okay, 'fess up. Who created this "Michael Malloy" schtick? it is brilliant, and you had me going for a while, but you gave yourself away with the pretense that you were someone with 10 posts who could judge the entire board as being inhabited by "numerous loud mouthed idiots." First, Joe DeM and i are not "numerous," and second, tne whole "false statement of fact" was made by you, whoever you are.

I suspect vacantlook. He has that kind of sense of humor.

So, whoever you are, thanks for the laugh but you can knock it off, now. We have seen through the joke.

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    Wow, NotKosh! Excellent examples of composers. And Frank Zappa.......how did I not remember him? I could be in for a visit from the Central Sccccrrrrrrrutinizer

And Capt. Montoya, Keith Emerson! Another excellent mention!

I just wish I'd thought of them.

KoshN, from my personal experience with musicians I can't say overall that they're closed minded, at least not any more than other people. But they are VERY passionate about the subject. And a lot of the musicians I know seem to have more passion about the music they hate than the music they love.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I really wish I had a way to say I only wanted to defend the music of Evan Chen and that I thought he was unjustly dismissed utterly. His music appeals to me as an individual.
    That came across just fine.

Enjoy your break and I hope to see you again.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Fighting is hard. I'm going to stop now.

I really wish I had a way to say I only wanted to defend the music of Evan Chen and that I thought he was unjustly dismissed utterly. His music appeals to me as an individual.

My musical background is extremely eclectic, but I like it that way. I did the military thing to avoid fighting in a war I could not support. In the university I played in the symphony orchestra instead of Ohio State's famous marching band because I love classical music. Another choice I made was learning to play ancient instruments - baroque trumpet and cornetto which I played in a cornett and sackbutt ensemble for about 25 years. I love some popular music like Steeleye Span and Bob Dylan. In recent years I converted to the Russian Orthodox Church and and studied their choral traditions at a monastery in Jordanville, New York. I now lead a choir in a Russian Orthodox Church in Columbus. I'm also minor clergy in the Church - a Reader (Psalomschchick).

I say this not out of pride, but to clarify my perhaps confusing positions to those of you who are certainly younger than me.

I love Babylon 5 and Crusade. I very much admire the talent and creative ability of JMS and the many artists gathered around him who brought his visions to life for all of us.

I need to take a break from the forum for a while. I'm not going away angry. I simply need to concentrate on other work now.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by AislingGrey
    Woo hoo! Go, me!

(As one of my best girlfriends loves to say to me, "You haven't got a line on you, you bitch." <g>)
    Hrmph. I've god damned few lines myself. What I've got is gray/silver hair! Hrmph.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    and inadvertently complimented her
    Woo hoo! Go, me!

(As one of my best girlfriends loves to say to me, "You haven't got a line on you, you bitch." <g>)

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    I think manager is the word you are looking for.
    Hi, searching girl!

Regarding the above, iamsheridan is correct. When I first started working in the music publishing house (and by the way, the parent company is Schott Mainz!), I remember seeing the term "chef dirigent" often, and until I looked in a German/English dictionary, I wondered why so many orchestras had their cooks (Koch) listed so prominently, as such an important employee, usually at the top of their letterhead (Briefkopf)!

Of course I finally figured out that it meant "chief conductor." :-)

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Jerry Goldsmith (serious genius here. I can not under-recommend 13th Warrior soundtrack)
    The stock response from me every time someone says wonderingly as we watch the credits roll for something, "Oh, Jerry Goldsmith did the score for that (film/tv show)?" is: "What didn't Jerry Goldsmith compose??"

He is, indeed, ubiquitous. If nothing else, the guy's got quantity as his badge of honor.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    One thing is constant: the cultural gap between the musically informed and the uninformed is as great now or worse than it was when I was earning my degree in music.
    Michael, I can't speak to anything here that wasn't _my_ point...but my point does still stand: this has nothing to do with a culture gap, or experience, or musical education. This is simply a matter of taste. And, there is simply no accounting for taste. I truly do not believe that my education or vast professional experience in the serious music world gives me more of a right to like or dislike Evan Chen's music than anyone else here. And that's pretty much the only point I'm trying to make.

A person who makes a false statement of "fact" had better be prepared to back up that statement or look like an idiot. This forum is inhabited by numerous loud mouthed idiots.
    Agreed. But where was this false statement of fact? If you're referring once again to the original post, which was "By far and away the worst music ever in babylon 5," well, come now: do you really think that anyone took that as anything but opinion?

I'm sorry you feel that people here are so disagreeable. Sure, there are always the occasional nasty loudmouths anywhere you go in cyberspace, but for the most part, all that's happening here is that people are disagreeing about the music, and about your statements that they aren't schooled enough to have opinions on it. I don't think anyone's gotten out of hand here, really.

And finally, to reiterate what I stated in my previous note: I'm quite a bit older than you assumed from my photos, so yes, I do in fact have a fair number of years of experience working in the professional music industry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X